PDA

View Full Version : Points of call

harness2008
12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
We've all seen close finishes that result in a dead heat. The judges examine the photo which seems like an eternity and if you're like me, you're the one who also gets hosed and has the horse that gets nosed out.

My question is concerning the internal points of call for either thoroughbred or harness races. Why is it that there are no dead heats at these points of call? Examine any result chart past or present and you will see the position of each horse during the running of the race and you will never see any horse in a dead heat with another horse concerning the internal fractional points.

It's impossible to assume that there has never been in the history of horse racing two horses crossing a fractional pole during the running of a race not in a dead heat with each other. Anyone have any ideas how horses are separated when in a dead heat with another horse at the fractional marks?

Ray2000
12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Dead heats at the Finish requires a special moving film camera, a carry over from the olden days of photography, so calls at the quarter poles were a clerks judgement.

just guessing.... :)

harness2008
12-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ray, thats what I figured. Obviously it doesn't matter much for internal points of call compared to the finish but just something that I wondered about.

baconswitchfarm
12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Except the finish, all other calls are estimates. Many are inaccurate.