View Full Version : Hamilton goes to LA

JustRalph
12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Sucks for Texas

Hamilton, Trout, Pujols.......some lineup

Can't wait to see how they structure the lineup

Stillriledup
12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Remember those cries a handful of years ago that the Yankees are 'ruining baseball' by trying to 'purchase' titles?

So, much for that theory!

TJDave
12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Perfect. A nice, quiet, out of the limelight spot where he won't be tempted.

I predict snow in May. :rolleyes:

cj
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Remember those cries a handful of years ago that the Yankees are 'ruining baseball' by trying to 'purchase' titles?

So, much for that theory!

Well, not really, as others are trying to keep up. The Yankees changed how the game is played for teams that can afford it, and even a few that can't.

Stillriledup
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, not really, as others are trying to keep up. The Yankees changed how the game is played for teams that can afford it, and even a few that can't.

Actually, the Red Sox changed the game, not the Yanks.

cj
12-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Actually, the Red Sox changed the game, not the Yanks.

I know it is hard for you, but don't be ridiculous.

Stillriledup
12-14-2012, 03:50 AM
I know it is hard for you, but don't be ridiculous.

The Yanks were far ahead of the pack in the early 2000s payrollwise. The Red Sox had a spending bump in 2004 and by 2008, other teams started spending like the Sox. The Sox were the first to chase the Yanks financially spending like drunken sailors, they were the first team who tried to compete with the Yanks financially...they led the way and broke the seal for all these other teams. Now, there are at least half a dozen teams who are spending pretty big money now.

The Yanks didnt 'change' the game, they were the top spending team by far year in and year out...the game was the same until Boston decided to open up the piggy bank for the 2004 season, that's when the floodgates opened.

cj
12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
So the second team opened the gate? Yeah, that makes sense.

Valuist
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
And how many World Series titles did that get the Yankees? One.

Nowadays all we hear is how the AL is leaps and bounds better than the NL, and then the NL goes and wins the World Series.

cj
12-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Nowadays all we hear is how the AL is leaps and bounds better than the NL, and then the NL goes and wins the World Series.

Well, not really. They won a few before that one as well mostly by outspending everyone. Other teams got tired of it and started trying to keep up, and that has hurt the Yankees.

Valuist
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, not really. They won a few before that one as well mostly by outspending everyone. Other teams got tired of it and started trying to keep up, and that has hurt the Yankees.

Was it really outspending? They had a great system in the 90s. Guys like Jeter, Posada, Pettitte and Bernie Williams. I can't remember if O'Neill was acquired by trade or FA, but I thought it was a trade with the Reds. They spent some but the core of the team was developed by them.

cj
12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Was it really outspending? They had a great system in the 90s. Guys like Jeter, Posada, Pettitte and Bernie Williams. I can't remember if O'Neill was acquired by trade or FA, but I thought it was a trade with the Reds. They spent some but the core of the team was developed by them.

In the World Series wins of 96, 99, and 00, the entire starting pitching staff outside of Pettite consisted of pretty much big money acquisitions. Pitching wins titles.

RaceBookJoe
12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
In the World Series wins of 96, 99, and 00, the entire starting pitching staff outside of Pettite consisted of pretty much big money acquisitions. Pitching wins titles.

It basically started when they got Reggie Jackson, which gave them 2 WS titles. Cant complain about an owner who wants to spend his money how he wants and thinking that if you are going into a fight..might as well buy the biggest gun.

JustRalph
12-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Government has got to be happy! Grienke and Hamilton will pay @$80 million in taxes. @Bobby_Bench @MLB

Johnny Bench tweeted this a while ago.

80 mil in tax liability between the two guys.

redshift1
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
ESPN faces the prospect of actually showing some west coast games instead of alternating Yankee-Boston games for the whole season.

Turfway Ed
12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
West teams like the Giants, A's, and the Dodgers aren't too shabby either.
The pendulum has swung away from the East.

If ESPN would only start those West Coast games at an earlier time, say like 10 a.m. PT, I could forgo naps. :-)

Stillriledup
12-14-2012, 06:20 PM

That makes no sense. The Yanks didnt win by outspending everyone because if that was the case, the teams who have the highest payrolls would always win and we know this isnt the case. Spending money doesnt guarantee success, you have to draft well, trade well and put all the pieces together. Boston had a massive payroll last year and werent even competitive, if payroll was the end all and be all, the Sox would have been in competition for the title.

Stillriledup
12-14-2012, 06:23 PM

The NL wins the series becuase NL baseball is bunt, singles hitters and pinch hitters and stuff like that...the AL is a bunch of lumberjacks trying to hit home runs. Those HR hitting teams dont do as well in the postseason because the pitching and scouting reports are much better and almost every pitch is thrown with a purpose, not to mention the pressure gets higher.....slap hitters and singles hitters succeed in the playoffs....Jeter and Ichiro were two of the Yanks best hitters....singles hitters have a better shot in the playoffs and NL teams have more 'singles hitters' than AL teams due to the DH.

cj
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
That makes no sense. The Yanks didnt win by outspending everyone because if that was the case, the teams who have the highest payrolls would always win and we know this isnt the case. Spending money doesnt guarantee success, you have to draft well, trade well and put all the pieces together. Boston had a massive payroll last year and werent even competitive, if payroll was the end all and be all, the Sox would have been in competition for the title.

Nobody said it guarantees success, but it sure helps.

Stillriledup
12-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Nobody said it guarantees success, but it sure helps.

It doesnt hurt.

Striker
12-15-2012, 02:15 AM
but it sure helps.
Not with all teams. Nothing can help the Cubs. They have been in the top 10 for the highest payroll since 2004, even as high as 3rd in 2009 and 2010. No problem putting fans in the stands though.

forced89
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Perspective from Texas - Rangers got tired of Hamilton's inconsistancy and extra needs;i.e. baby sitter, etc. and managed to dump him while pertending to want him back. They never made him an offer and told him that the maximum they would go was 3 years. It was a way to let him go while giving the fans who wanted him back hope.

JustRalph
12-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Perspective from Texas - Rangers got tired of Hamilton's inconsistancy and extra needs;i.e. baby sitter, etc. and managed to dump him while pertending to want him back. They never made him an offer and told him that the maximum they would go was 3 years. It was a way to let him go while giving the fans who wanted him back hope.

They lost another pitcher this morning.........this is not good...........

I think they are going to sit on the team for a year.........try to make some money and then come back with a new manager next year.

ElKabong
12-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Arte Moreno will be a hero short-term, pauper long term ;)

As for Josh, like said above, the R's simply didn't want him back. No serious offer, JD was crossing his fingers someone would take him (even the halo's). Josh will give the Angels 2 years of great baseball, at best. Then 3 years of nothing but drama and lazy play. Moreno in yrs time will regret it, but he'll be living high in 2013 with this ballclub

Greinke was the key......Texas wanted him as the 2nd starter behind Yu bc of Greinke's mental-psych issues. Release some pressure. Wwhen that fell thru, when we lost out on some others, i think he'll keep his powder dry for next yr

Bourn is still available, I think his value is a lot higher thna any other FA (certainly among the OF's). Even so, the Rs have Gentry who is only a notch behind Bourn

And, thank you Michael Young for the memories, but it was time for you to go. Thank you for taking the deal. With Profar at 2b, and you gone, offensively it's a big plus for us

ElKabong
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
They lost another pitcher this morning.........this is not good...........

I think they are going to sit on the team for a year.........try to make some money and then come back with a new manager next year.

Adams? If he did sign, then it was expected. Sore arm, high ERA vs last few yrs

Healthy, he was a great setup man...really great...not last yr tho

What's disappointing was losing Koji.....that right there signaled that they're either in for a trade of big proportion for the Pen, or JD has his sight on others in FA in 12 months

The budget and $$ is there, the sharp GM is there (JD). He's pushed the right buttons in the past, he's sure earned fan's respect on doing the smart thing.....

as for a Mgr change, Wash made it clear trading Young put a hurt to him.....so, Wash may look elsewhere, but they won't fire him unless the team loses 90+ games.