PDA

View Full Version : Live Online Handicapper's Exposition?

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I have an opportunity to promote a LIVE, ONLINE Handicapping Exposition in 2013. Depending upon the feedback from PaceAdvantage members, I MAY go forward with the idea.

How interested would you be in attending?

What 3 speakers would you want most to listen to?

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

DeltaLover
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I have an opportunity to promote a LIVE, ONLINE Handicapping Exposition in 2013. Depending upon the feedback from PaceAdvantage members, I MAY go forward with the idea.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

The three speakers I would like to listen:

1) THASKALOS
2) TRIFECTA MIKE
3) GAME THEORY

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Delta, you surprise me. No Beyer, Serling, Etc.?

DeltaLover
12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Absolutely no Dave...

Out of this league the only one I want to listen to is Dave Schwartz....

Magister Ludi
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Trifecta Mike. Give him all three slots.

Robert Goren
12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Maggie Wolfendale or someone like her. One of my weakness is knowing if a horse is fit or not by looking at it. I will give the other two some thought and get back to you.

Valuist
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Maggie Wolfendale or someone like her. One of my weakness is knowing if a horse is fit or not by looking at it. I will give the other two some thought and get back to you.

You should get Joe Takatch's DVD. Can't remember the name. But he goes thru everything.

JimG
12-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I've listened to enough handicapping/horseracing theory to do me for a lifetime. I would pay to watch if you got someone who is known to be a really good handicapper and bettor. They would do races in advance, while the audience follows along, and watch the races with a quick summary of what just occurred. The idea would not be whether they win or lose during the session but to get an idea of what they look for and how they construct bets/tickets. Not interested in after the fact, Monday Morning handicapping. As an aside, I would not want them to be selling anything or representing any particular software seller. Usage of multiple items (software or otherwise) would be fine. A true learning experience without any hint that there could be a hidden agenda.

Jim

Robert Goren
12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I am thinking Aner (what ever his real name is) might make a nice choice. At we know he can pick winners.

Tom
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes, I'm interested-

Speakers?
CJ
Quinn
Beyer
Serling
Maggie W
You
Crist
Foitus
DaHoss! :eek:
Bob Gregory
Ed Darossa

Capper Al
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Cramer
Quinn
Aner

JimG
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
In line with my post #8 on this topic. I would pay to listen to:

Duke Matties
Mike Mahoney
Bill Shurman

I am sure there are many others I would as well.

Jim

bob60566
12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
How about these three trainers

Jeff Mullins

Jamie Ness

And the one and only,

R Dutrow, :)

JustRalph
12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Crist on betting

thaskalos
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
It's a great idea, and I would attend for sure.

My top three speakers:

Cary Fotias
Len Friedman
Jim Cramer of HDW

Valuist
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
It's a great idea, and I would attend for sure.

My top three speakers:

Cary Fotias
Len Friedman
Jim Cramer of HDW

CNBC's Jim Cramer supposedly got his investment career started at Suffolk Downs during his college days.

MightBeSosa
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
. .....Not interested in after the fact, Monday Morning handicapping. ....
Jim

In principle I totally agree, but it got me thinking as to why this is true.

There's actually nothing wrong with after the fact genius, except it's usually not possible to tell how cherry picked it is vs the universe of plays. So any particular analysis could actually be a huge loser, even though a winner is presented.

If you have some reliable stats to go with a particular example, then Ex-post handicapping is acceptable.

DeltaLover
12-12-2012, 05:34 PM
In my opinion a 'Handicapping Exposition'would be interesting if it is subject to the following two categories:

1) Professional players who derive their income primary from betting (for example Thaskalos)

2) Researchers who have to present insides to their approach (for example Bender).

Household names of journalists who happen to specialize in this game have nothing more to add than stereotypes of the past that appear over and over again in new books, DRF articles or commentaries we watch on TV or online.

This type of an 'expert' is comparable to Economists who tries to predict the future or politics analysts who are experts in causation after an event has occurred.

All of them are making a living having convinced their audience that indeed are experts in 'prediction' although reality proves exactly the opposite (at least for the unbiased observer).

Robert Goren
12-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I would like somebody who plays as a hobby and win few grand a year. Somebody like me(but certainly not). I would like to know how they do it. I have no idea who that would be.

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
In my opinion a 'Handicapping Exposition'would be interesting if it is subject to the following two categories:

1) Professional players who derive their income primary from betting (for example Thaskalos)

2) Researchers who have to present insides to their approach (for example Bender).

While I like everyone's ideas, I think we are getting a little far afield here.

The reality is that we are not going to have a professional player come in and tell you how they do it. That simply isn't going to happen. And if it did, they would want a huge amount of money, which would make the entire idea fall flat.

My initial question was serious: You guys are helping me build a list of who to invite. Make no mistake... I WILL INVITE THE PEOPLE YOU SUGGEST, subject to budgetary constraints and the POTENTIAL TO FILL THE ROOM.

Please keep putting forward names so that I may build a list to contact.

TheEdge07
12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
traynor

MartyZee
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Dave Schwartz-Ted Craven-Jeff Platt

dkithore
12-12-2012, 09:48 PM

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Great Idea. Pl. make it like live skype show so I can see from overseas. People I like to hear from is, Thaskalos, Tom, CJ and You (host). Topics I like are Betting and self-management among others. Good luck.

dkithore
12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I am thinking Aner (what ever his real name is) might make a nice choice. At we know he can pick winners.

Robert, I second your choice of Aner as well.

Wickel
12-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I'd like to hear from:

You
Michael Kipness (The Wizard)
Michael Pizzolla
Len Ragozin

Great idea, by the way.

andicap
12-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Best. Post. Ever.

Household names of journalists who happen to specialize in this game have nothing more to add than stereotypes of the past that appear over and over again in new books, DRF articles or commentaries we watch on TV or online.

This type of an 'expert' is comparable to Economists who tries to predict the future or politics analysts who are experts in causation after an event has occurred.

All of them are making a living having convinced their audience that indeed are experts in 'prediction' although reality proves exactly the opposite (at least for the unbiased observer).

RunForTheRoses
12-13-2012, 08:54 AM
You should get Joe Takatch's DVD. Can't remember the name. But he goes thru everything.

Beat the Beam is one of them, have it on VHS. Should bust it out and watch again, has some good points.

myhorse1
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
in no particular order

raybo
thaskalos
markgoldie
trifecta mike
gametheory
aner
dahoss
karlskorner
traynor

cj
12-13-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't believe Thask has ever said that. Am I wrong?

dlgreg
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
If you Google search for "Physicality Handicapping - Fact or Fiction"
you will find a nice series of articles by Takach.
Not sure I could post the link so I'll post how to find it.

DeltaLover
12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't believe Thask has ever said that. Am I wrong?

Is easy to imagine though ;)

cj
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

The DVD I remember was "Spotting the Ready to Win Racehorse". Actually, I think I have it in VHS!

Tom
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Front page here - "Reading Room" - whole series of Takach's articles.

On the right hand side, scroll down a ways.

dlgreg
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Front page here - "Reading Room" - whole series of Takach's articles.

On the right hand side, scroll down a ways.
Thanks.
Never saw those as my links send me directly to the individual forum message boards.