PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix system of handicapping

daydreamer
12-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Does anyone read or know about The matrix system of hanicapping by Dave Vaccaro. Sold by amazon.

Capper Al
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Just ordered it.

thaskalos
12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Just ordered it.
How is it? :)

Capper Al
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Hope it' good when it gets here!

Dave Schwartz
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Ordered. My copy will be here Friday.

I will let you know.

Dave

Greyfox
12-11-2012, 11:10 PM

:lol: Great response.:lol:

(Capper Al, asked a similar question to Thaskalos about a Quinn book that he had just ordered in another thread.)

Capper Al
12-12-2012, 07:01 AM
:lol: Great response.:lol:

(Capper Al, asked a similar question to Thaskalos about a Quinn book that he had just ordered in another thread.)

Ya, it was funny.

Capper Al
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.matrixhandicapping.com/

Matrix website. It sounds a little like what I do.

acorn54
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
well the title says a method to "dissect and reveal contenders".
to be honest in today's race world of six and seven horse fields revealing the contenders doesn't seem to be a problem.

DeltaLover
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.matrixhandicapping.com/index.html

Each race has a target horse. This horse can not be identified with the naked eye. However, this horse will win the race 30 - 40% of the time. Learn the calculations needed to identify this horse.

Yeah, right.....

thaskalos
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.matrixhandicapping.com/index.html

Yeah, right.....

There is a sucker born every minute...and two to take him.

Tom
12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Ordered. My copy will be here Friday.

I will let you know.

Dave

Or not.
I order the Quinn book with 2 day delivery two days ago - still has not shipped.

Technically, they never said which two days! :D

Capper Al
12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
There is a sucker born every minute...and two to take him.

I agee. This is a risky book to order in hopes that it is going to be meaningful. Once in a while this type of book can surprize.

Tom
12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
The name sounds familiar......did he have some books out a few years ago?

sydr
12-12-2012, 11:06 PM
You might be thinking of Mahalik's matrix a program that
came out about 10 years ago. It was P.D. Mahalik's idea..The programmer was George McPherson. It used Trackmaster Plus files. I still use it once in awhile, it was one of my favorite programs.
P.D used to post on this board,but it's been awhile since I have seen him post anything.
sydr

Johnny V
12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
In line with the other thread about Quinn's new book I am reluctant these days to purchase any "system" books without knowing who and what the author is. Quinn is a known person and has been referenced and quoted by other respected handicapping authors such as Cramer, Mitchell, etc. I will most likely purchase that book.
Who is David Vaccaro? Does anyone know him or ever seen him at a track or read anything by him in the past? Just curious.

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Johnny,

We'll find out quickly, won't we?

Dave

MightBeSosa
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
He must have channeled Dowst & Ainslie. Shows you how you too could have picked Trinniberg in the sprint.

Much can be read for free at Amazon and that's probably what it's worth by my quick scan.

Capper Al
12-14-2012, 07:43 AM
In line with the other thread about Quinn's new book I am reluctant these days to purchase any "system" books without knowing who and what the author is. Quinn is a known person and has been referenced and quoted by other respected handicapping authors such as Cramer, Mitchell, etc. I will most likely purchase that book.
Who is David Vaccaro? Does anyone know him or ever seen him at a track or read anything by him in the past? Just curious.

I bought the book, but then I'm a book junkie. Sometimes, like Extreme Pace Handicapping by Randy Giles, these unknown authors can have cutting edge stuff. Like Dave said, we'll soon know.

CincyHorseplayer
12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I bought the book, but then I'm a book junkie. Sometimes, like Extreme Pace Handicapping by Randy Giles, these unknown authors can have cutting edge stuff. Like Dave said, we'll soon know.

I hear you.And not only that sometimes the way somebody else looks at something,while you may not agree with how or what they are doing with it,sparks an idea in you that's revealing and leads to another insight.I read Scott's book "Investing at the Racetrack" and he was looking at the top 3 public odds to bet from,quoting the win percentages.I didn't agree with that.I wanted to focus on "my" own percentages on top 1-4 picks.And after compiling the % for 2 years of races it changed my thoughts about value handicapping because my percentages showed that there was a precipitous dropoff between #1-2 and #3-4 choices to the point where unless an average mutuel was 12-1 would not even be worth betting at all.So I had to rethink it completely.I don't know what the word is for this,comparative theory?But you get the gist.I usually get something from every book.Except that Wallstreet Way of betting horses book!

thaskalos
12-14-2012, 02:21 PM
The price of a book is a small price to pay if the author is really making an honest effort to communicate his thoughts to the reader.

Unfortunately...such is not always the case.

In some cases, claims are exaggerated and key points are intentionally omitted...resulting in these books doing more harm than good.

Buyer beware...

RaceBookJoe
12-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I hear you.And not only that sometimes the way somebody else looks at something,while you may not agree with how or what they are doing with it,sparks an idea in you that's revealing and leads to another insight.I read Scott's book "Investing at the Racetrack" and he was looking at the top 3 public odds to bet from,quoting the win percentages.I didn't agree with that.I wanted to focus on "my" own percentages on top 1-4 picks.And after compiling the % for 2 years of races it changed my thoughts about value handicapping because my percentages showed that there was a precipitous dropoff between #1-2 and #3-4 choices to the point where unless an average mutuel was 12-1 would not even be worth betting at all.So I had to rethink it completely.I don't know what the word is for this,comparative theory?But you get the gist.I usually get something from every book.Except that Wallstreet Way of betting horses book!

Many times what you get is " what NOT to do " :)

Capper Al
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM

We bet them pretty much in the same way with the 1-2 and the 3-4. Scary dude. I'm ok with a book if I only get 1 new idea out of it.

Robert Goren
12-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I bought the book, but then I'm a book junkie. Sometimes, like Extreme Pace Handicapping by Randy Giles, these unknown authors can have cutting edge stuff. Like Dave said, we'll soon know. Almost all the cutting edge stuff was written by a unknown author going all the way to to a then unheard of Andrew Beyer.

Dave Schwartz
12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
My book arrived yesterday. I read it tonight between 8pm and 9pm.

Here is my simple review:

Sincerely,
Dave Schwartz

JJMartin
12-17-2012, 12:27 AM
My book arrived yesterday. I read it tonight between 8pm and 9pm.

Here is my simple review:

Sincerely,
Dave Schwartz
So I take it you didn't like it?

Tom
12-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Words can't describe it!

Dave Schwartz
12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
The book is clearly for beginners. There is merit in the structure of the handicapping.

That is, the ideas of "Doing a gut check," "Finding the Pace Setter," "Finding the Target Horse," etc. are all good ideas. IMHO, the methods offered for doing so are on the weak side.

The author lost me when he said that one should make speed numbers by comparing times to a universal time chart. Why not just use the Beyer number, or for that matter, I believe the DRF Speed Rating would be an improvement.

I would give the book *** stars for the beginner (out of 5).

The more advanced player, such as we find as the typical member here, will have a hard time finding a nugget. Therefore, for intermediate to advanced players, I must give it a single star - * (out of 5).

Dave

Tom
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
And he spoke so highly of you........;)

Helles
12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks Dave, you saved me money.

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Tom,

Three stars is pretty good for a beginner's book.

Dave

Capper Al
12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Tom,

Three stars is pretty good for a beginner's book.

Dave

You gave a good review of the book.

Johnny V
12-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Dave,
Thank you for that helpful review.

coachv30
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Just finished this book yesterday. Not much of a read, more of a tutorial manual. However, the techniques did net me a nice profit today ($540 total). Out of 9 races I had four exactas, two trifectas and a nice double. However, I realize that one day is not enough to deem it a successful system. I am now going to start reading "Pace makes the Race".

dkithore
01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Just finished this book yesterday. Not much of a read, more of a tutorial manual. However, the techniques did net me a nice profit today ($540 total). Out of 9 races I had four exactas, two trifectas and a nice double. However, I realize that one day is not enough to deem it a successful system. I am now going to start reading "Pace makes the Race".

Listen, I am not doubting your claim but few will buy your claims unless you provide the evidence: "where is the beef". Bloggers here are a tough crowd. Just a word of caution. Good luck with the horse arcing. I read it too and I concur with Dave's review. But hey, I can't argue with success.

coachv30
01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Listen, I am not doubting your claim but few will buy your claims unless you provide the evidence: "where is the beef". Bloggers here are a tough crowd. Just a word of caution. Good luck with the horse arcing. I read it too and I concur with Dave's review. But hey, I can't argue with success.

I agree 100%...just thought I would add my two-cent review.

coachv30
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I just finished reading "Pace makes the Race". These two books seem to be very compatible to one another as far as constructing a hybrid system using information provided by both sources? Has anyone else read this combination? If so, are there any other books that you would recommend to add to the hybrid?

VastinMT
01-29-2013, 11:51 PM

This is great! I love it!!!

Sly7449
01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Sure would be nice if all these Horse Racing Handicapping Products get a Pre Screening by a Panel of individuals like those on Shark Tank.

I wonder if Consumer Affairs even gets involved in Products of this nature.

In some of these cases, it is apparent that unfair pricing exists in addition to the production of materials that really should be a Product of Proctor and Gamble.

Lack of Content may be a Strategy used to sacrifice Quality for Quantity.

Of these, Shark Tank would evaluate for the 3 I Test.

Innovative

Imitators

Idiots

Sly7449
01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Dishonorable mention

There were plenty of other scams during the year that cost consumers money and heartache. Making our dishonorable mention list this year are the many scams related to the BP oil spill (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/oil_spill_scams.html), this year's one-time $250 payment to Medicare Part D participants (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/doughnut_hole_rebate.html) and the growing number of cyber scams. In that last category, "tabnabbing" (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/07/tabnabbing.html) could be one to keep an eye on in the new year.

It goes without saying, as we do each year, that consumers must remain vigilant against those who use deception and trickery to part them from their money. Important financial decisions should never be rushed and consulting a trusted friend of adviser is always a good idea.

As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/12/top-10-scams-of-2010.html

coachv30
03-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Has anyone elseread this book and seem to find some validity in the "Target Horse" theory?

dkithore
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Has anyone elseread this book and seem to find some validity in the "Target Horse" theory?
Coach,

IMO target horse is similar to the key horse or a legitimate favorite (provided he wins). The book that we both read has not provoked great interest here. You may not get a hundred replies to your quest.
The bottom line is record keeping to validate the theory is the way to test the theory. It is that simple. For example, I tested his cumulative class theory that he said, "it works". Well it does sometimes point to the class of the horse (better than average purse value). I rely on it as an indicator in contender selection process. Especially when playing races where I do not have reliable pace and speed figures. Like everything in horse racing, you must fight your way through with dogged perseverance.

Do you recall from other threads, "there is no absolute truth in racing..."
Good luck!

coachv30
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Coach,

IMO target horse is similar to the key horse or a legitimate favorite (provided he wins). The book that we both read has not provoked great interest here. You may not get a hundred replies to your quest.
The bottom line is record keeping to validate the theory is the way to test the theory. It is that simple. For example, I tested his cumulative class theory that he said, "it works". Well it does sometimes point to the class of the horse (better than average purse value). I rely on it as an indicator in contender selection process. Especially when playing races where I do not have reliable pace and speed figures. Like everything in horse racing, you must fight your way through with dogged perseverance.

Do you recall from other threads, "there is no absolute truth in racing..."
Good luck!

Thanks DK...I was just curious because I've started combining some of the theories in this book and PAndy's book with my own theories and I have found out the the "Target Horse" is actually finishing in the money a good percentage of the time; and it is not always a favorite.

I am finding that the target horse is usually the favorite when it shows up multiple times on the matrix. As far as the class cumulative, I haven't used it. I do use the Beyer cumulative however.

dkithore
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks DK...I was just curious because I've started combining some of the theories in this book and PAndy's book with my own theories and I have found out the the "Target Horse" is actually finishing in the money a good percentage of the time; and it is not always a favorite.

I am finding that the target horse is usually the favorite when it shows up multiple times on the matrix. As far as the class cumulative, I haven't used it. I do use the Beyer cumulative however.

Coach,

Do you find Beyer spd cum. helpful in identifying contenders? Do you back check to see if they are reliable? How reliable? For me, a factor such as this is reliable if shows up over 50% of winners as significant.

I have not read Pandy's yet But I will in a few weeks.

coachv30
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Coach,

Do you find Beyer spd cum. helpful in identifying contenders? Do you back check to see if they are reliable? How reliable? For me, a factor such as this is reliable if shows up over 50% of winners as significant.

I have not read Pandy's yet But I will in a few weeks.

I do actually find it very reliable especially because I bet mainly exotics (exactas and tri's). The only time I place a win bet is if I get 4 to 1 odds or better on my key horse. ( I don't bet big; $5 win bets and $1 exacta/trifecta boxes)

P. D. Mahalik
05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
When George McPherson died and I had a falling out with TrackMaster I developed MMTRX (BrisNet Version) and it still gets the job done. Joe Zambuto is updating it for me, because right now it only runs on XP. It shouldn't be too long before it is ready to go and I plan on offering it to BrisNet for free so that everyone can use it for free. If I can't strike a deal, then I'll offer MMTRX (Mahalik MMTRX) to individuals for the asking.

thaskalos
05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
When George McPherson died and I had a falling out with TrackMaster I developed MMTRX (BrisNet Version) and it still gets the job done. Joe Zambuto is updating it for me, because right now it only runs on XP. It shouldn't be too long before it is ready to go and I plan on offering it to BrisNet for free so that everyone can use it for free. If I can't strike a deal, then I'll offer MMTRX (Mahalik MMTRX) to individuals for the asking.

Is the "turn time" still working out to your satisfaction?

P. D. Mahalik
05-22-2014, 03:26 PM
I was once enamored with turn-time, but then on the PACE side of the MMTRX report I found that with a value in the FIN column and a '5' or higher in the SPD PTS column it was of great value to me in handicapping and I included those horses in all my bets, but especially Pick 3s. The combination looks something like this -
95.5 7
When Joe Sambuto and I get the updated version of MMTRX finished I expect I will invest in some kind of data model that will test exactly which factors are the most relevant, but even with that, I am confident that the FIN / SPD PTS will stand up.