PDA

View Full Version : Ocala Training Center

jeebus1083
12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Skimming through the entries for today, I saw Ocala listed. One thoroughbred race, and one quarter-horse race, with wagering on each. I know that they usually run a single non-wagering stakes cards around St. Patty's Day. Are they trying to get in on the gaming licenses too?

sammy the sage
12-11-2012, 08:41 AM
They wanna do poker :lol:

Place is badly mis-run...Tues is a dark day for THAT facility...why not run on a weds/thurs....more handle all the way around...w/out extra teller staffing/rent-cop/ect....

Oh....and they love to run the A/C full blast when it's 50 deg.s outside and cloudy... :faint: :rolleyes:

Finally they run folks betting $100 or more a race outta of the building when the night races start w/rudeness...cause they wanna close out that area....just brilliant :eek:

jerry-g
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I have not been to OBS in several years now and
not in the last 4 months as I had a heart attack on
my 70th birthday and spent the day being prepped
for open heart surgery to be done on 8/28.

However, they could not get racing out of my blood.
The thing I always liked about OBS was those days
when they held auctions. The horses are absolutely
awesome in their beauty.

I found the owners quite frank about their horses
chance of winning a race and sometimes I met with
a jockey or two that had raced at Calder or Gulfstream
that were willing to share their insight on handicapping.

I know the place has a huge overhead and if you want
to know who the heavy hitters are, I just had to ask the
bartender and she always knew. I may go back for an
auction just to see what all the changes are and if I
would still like the place.

Track Collector
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
jerry-g, I hope you are doing well now health-wise.

As to the wagering on two races, I sense this is more than just positioning themselves for poker. Perhaps it is to keep the RACING license(s) and simulcast permits active. I recall licenses are specific to the breed type, thus the need for at least one TB race and the one QH race. Both races have 10 entries, and the purses are decent. Not like in Nebraska (Hastings, and recently sold Atokad) where they would get 3-4 horses to run a race once each year to satisfy the regulations to offer simulcasting.

Maybe these races are in preparation for racing in early 2013 around the time they have the big Ocala Breeders Sales. I have been keeping an eye on OTC since they first indicated the possible desire to hold a short meet, as I want to add them to my track collecting list. :) Hopefully, some one can find out more details.

This two races did catch me by surprise, but it would be very unlikely that I was schedule a visit for just two races. Just out of curiosity, and as was expected with only 2 races, I did not see them on my ADW or on the RTN video feeds.

jerry-g
12-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Actually, I'm doing quiet well and feeling like I'm in my 40's again.
Even considering going middle age crazy all over again.
OBS has a calender by month and they usually indicate live racing
days. I believe there is something on the web site gives a date
for the auctions and when they will have local racing. I know they
use the track for workouts but have never seen any in a horses
PP's.

jerry-g, I hope you are doing well now health-wise.

As to the wagering on two races, I sense this is more than just positioning themselves for poker. Perhaps it is to keep the RACING license(s) and simulcast permits active. I recall licenses are specific to the breed type, thus the need for at least one TB race and the one QH race. Both races have 10 entries, and the purses are decent. Not like in Nebraska (Hastings, and recently sold Atokad) where they would get 3-4 horses to run a race once each year to satisfy the regulations to offer simulcasting.

Maybe these races are in preparation for racing in early 2013 around the time they have the big Ocala Breeders Sales. I have been keeping an eye on OTC since they first indicated the possible desire to hold a short meet, as I want to add them to my track collecting list. :) Hopefully, some one can find out more details.

This two races did catch me by surprise, but it would be very unlikely that I was schedule a visit for just two races. Just out of curiosity, and as was expected with only 2 races, I did not see them on my ADW or on the RTN video feeds.

pele polo
12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
What is Ocala Jai Alai like as an OTB ?

jerry-g
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I found it to be a lot of fun on days that OBS was closed. I
especially liked the Truck Stop off 75 for food. Great big bowl
of gravy and biscuits. Oops I did have a heart attack! Just a
tad more bums than at OBS and you have to be careful who
you were friends with. Plenty of betting windows. I could not
figure out Jai Alai. The works before the game looked like a
player could not loose but when the game started he could
not hit the side of a barn and stumbled and fell a lot. I said,
"This ain't for me".

What is Ocala Jai Alai like as an OTB ?

Ocala Mike
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Had to pop in on this thread from a library computer, as my home desktop died last week. OBS ran the two live races on Tuesday to keep their QH racing permit alive, per state law.

As far as all the complaints, why don't you take them up with Dale, the manager, who came here from Jai Alai a few years back and, while you're at it, say hello to my wife, Sandy, who sells the programs out front on Fri., Sat., and Sun..