PDA

View Full Version : Help us maintain a Free Press

ljb
01-30-2004, 07:58 PM
As many of you know the Conservative Broadcasting System AKA FoxLite is refusing to broadcast an ad promoted by Moveon.org during this Sunday's super bowl.
I urge you all to put aside partisan politics and join me in switching to CNN twice during Sunday's game.
The first will be at 8:10 pm est and the second at 8:35 pm est. Cnn will be airing these ads at those times.
As many of you have joined me in contacting our senators/congressmen insisting on an independant investigation of the lapses in our intelligence gathering community, I would ask you to also help us maintain a free press in this "land of the free".
Thank you for your support.

Larry Hamilton
01-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Typical.

In one thread you tell someone to stop talking and in another you challenge us to support freedom of the press.....

ljb
01-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Larry,
Your ability to interpet notes in these threads needs help. I asked Lefty why he was posting in a thread. He had expressed no interest in the topic. I did NOT ask him to stop talking.
Please put aside your partisan politics and support us in maintaining a free press, thank you.
ljb

lsbets
01-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Wouldn't a free press mean that CBS is FREE to choose what ads they wish to air? Funny how you define free. CBS is a private corporation, if they don't want to air an ad, they don't have to. Don't see how that infringes on a free press.

ljb
01-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Lsbets,
Broadly speaking you are correct. Except in political cases there is an equal time law. This may apply to news coverage but if we were to allow only advertising for one party/cause we would be eliminating free press. Moveon.org has a clean unobtrusive ad expressing an opinion. They have asked to buy time to air it during the super bowl. They were refused by CBS because CBs said it was/is too controversial. I don't know if you have seen the ad but, it is not too controversial.
If networks are allowed to advertise soley for the party of their choice we are doomed. So i ask you to join us in this mini boycott.
Thank you for your continued support.

lsbets
01-30-2004, 10:08 PM
ljb,

You have the right to boycott CBS for not airing the ad, that is your choice. I would only ask that you be honest about the reason for your boycott. It has nothing to do with free press, you already admitted as much. Is CBS not airing the ad at all, or are they only choosing to not air it at certain times? If they are not airing it at all, has Move-On attempted to buy air time during other shows on CBS, or was the attempt to buy airtime during the superbowl just an effort to gain free publicity?

kenwoodallpromos
01-30-2004, 10:16 PM
If you want a free press, patronize the small independent investigative press. Like the tabloids!

ljb
01-30-2004, 10:35 PM
lsbets,
Well thanks for the reply. In any case if you find a similiar circumstance, let me know. I will do what I can to help you. Moveon.org was trying to get the most bang for their buck. And you may be right, they may be getting more pr from CBS's refusal to run their ad then if otherwise.
Kinda like Al Franken got from Fox's lawsuit.
Thanks` again.

ljb
01-30-2004, 10:38 PM
kenwoodallpromos,
Sorry I just can't handle the tabloids, but thanks for the offer.

Dan Montilion
01-31-2004, 04:15 AM
Free Press? Hell, I pay $2.50 for shirts and $4.00 for my dress pants.

Dan Montilion

ljb
01-31-2004, 09:46 AM
Does that include starch in the collars?