PDA

View Full Version : Toxic U.S. horse meat

Milleruszk
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
The meat of American racehorses may be too toxic to eat safely because the horses have been injected repeatedly with drugs. Racehorses are sold to Mexican and Canadian slaughter houses and their meat is shipped to Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/sports/drugs-injected-at-the-racetrack-put-europe-off-us-horse-meat.html?hpw

nijinski
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
The meat of American racehorses may be too toxic to eat safely because the horses have been injected repeatedly with drugs. Racehorses are sold to Mexican and Canadian slaughter houses and their meat is shipped to Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/sports/drugs-injected-at-the-racetrack-put-europe-off-us-horse-meat.html?hpw

Not new news , its been public for years .
The unfortunate thing is it took data from medical research to prompt
investigations of Bute and it's possible link to childhood leukemia .
That is possible , not proven .

They did know in Europe that our horses were administered Bute , wrong
or right as it is . They , these horses don't and never did belong in the food chain. These slime operations shipping them over the border need to be
eliminated !

It seems the racing community is working hard to curb the drug use and
the efforts are ongoing . Drape seems to want to drag out his series and
try to ruin the sport in a hurry .

5k-claim
12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
They did know in Europe that our horses were administered Bute , wrong or right as it is . They , these horses don't and never did belong in the food chain. These slime operations shipping them over the border need to be eliminated ! British horses are administered bute, as well. Along with a lot of other drugs, listed here (http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resources/equine-science-and-welfare/medication-control.asp) . (All of these drug names should be familiar.)

From the Drape article: ...the European officials have indicated that they may nonetheless require lifetime medication records for slaughter-bound horses from Canada and Mexico, and perhaps require them to be held on feedlots or some other holding area for six months before they are slaughtered. Do the British ex-racehorses that are going to be slaughtered for meat consumption in Europe go through a 6-month holding process before being slaughtered?

What exactly is the process for verifying the drug history of British ex-racehorses headed to slaughter and human consumption in Europe? Does anyone know?

... Drape seems to want to drag out his series and try to ruin the sport in a hurry . In a hot, wet, steaming pile of a series this latest installment is heavy forkful.

nijinski
12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
British horses are administered bute, as well. Along with a lot of other drugs, listed here (http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resources/equine-science-and-welfare/medication-control.asp) . (All of these drug names should be familiar.)

From the Drape article: Do the British ex-racehorses that are going to be slaughtered for meat consumption in Europe go through a 6-month holding process before being slaughtered?

What exactly is the process for verifying the drug history of British ex-racehorses headed to slaughter and human consumption in Europe? Does anyone know?

In a hot, wet, steaming pile of a series this latest installment is heavy forkful.

I haven't researched lately . However over a year ago I read some reports out of Ireland . At that time I thought that all horses who raced as well as other sporting , would be in a category and classified Not for Human Consumption , Has it been impletemented ? We need to get that from someone who lives in Europe . But I believe folks there have to keep a
list of their horses meds as well as the Vets .
I would imagine also that yes , Euro horses do need anti imflammatory drugs
and painkillers as they are not machines . So I agree on that .

My problem with Drape is , this is not new News and why did he have to cast
another shadow over US racing . Like we purposely wanted to taint their meat supply :rolleyes:
It's the law officials and governments task to get rid of the slime that oversees the hauling of these poor horses and the the low lifes that sell to them . They don't represent most of the racing community .
Round them all up and throw em in jail !

nijinski
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
5000 Claim , I know Canada has been looking to close horse slaughter plants .
If Europe decides to still get their horsemeat from Mexico , and they're
ok with that . That's their problem for that decision .
They restricted US import of horsemeat already .

5k-claim
12-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I haven't researched lately . However over a year ago I read some reports out of Ireland . At that time I thought that all horses who raced as well as other sporting , would be in a category and classified Not for Human Consumption , I definitely do not know. All I have are a few questions, raised in part from articles like this: "Record number of thoroughbreds slaughtered for meat." (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/06/racehorse-slaughter-animal-welfare)

I would imagine also that yes , Euro horses do need anti imflammatory drugs and painkillers as they are not machines . So I agree on that . Of course they do. That is why the BHA published that page I linked to with Detection Times, so British trainers can set Withdrawal Times and avoid positive drug tests. Everyone uses the same drugs around the world, it just comes down to how far out the withdrawal times are. Even if Europe's are farther out than in the U.S. they certainly are not as far out as 6 months on everything.

My point is really that if the 'drugged' horses from the U.S. require being held for 6 months before being slaughtered for meat, so would the 'drugged' horses from elsewhere around the world.

My problem with Drape is , this is not new News and why did he have to cast another shadow over US racing . Like we purposely wanted to taint their meat supply :rolleyes: My problem with Drape is that I did not really know who he was before this drug series of his and so all I know him as is a hack with an agenda. I saw a bio of his and know that he won some awards in the past, but I was not aware of him then.

nearco
12-10-2012, 03:19 AM
All horses (indeed, all equidae, so donkeys and mules too) in the EU are required by law to have a passport, and they are also by law required to have a microchip embedded in their neck. When a horse is administered medications, the vet and/or owner is required by law to list those medications on the passport and the date on which they were administered.
If a horse goes to a slaughter house in Europe it has to have it's accompanying passport, or it will not be accepted at the slaughter house. There are guidelines as to what medications are acceptable in a horse meant for human consumption. I don't know what those are, but the EU has some pretty extensive info on the web if one wanted to spend some time digging around.

It is odd that given how strict the EU is about tracking horses within their own borders, with the expressed interest of preventing tainted horse meat from entering the food chain, that they liberally import horse meat from Can and Mex, where god knows what has been pumped into those animals during the course of their lives. Perhaps EU meat inspectors randomly test/sample meat from the Canadian and Mexican slaughters before allowing it to be imported??

I know that a few years ago the EU had planned to ban US beef imports unless the USDA would put labels on beef products to guarantee that they would be hormone-free. But the US government (pushed by the cattlemen's lobbies) took the EU to international court (WTO) and forced them to back down. Which I thought was kind of odd... but then I have a hard time getting my head around international trade laws.

Robert Goren
12-10-2012, 08:10 AM
The thread has once again brought out the usual defenders of the doping of the American race horse. I am not a big fan of horse meat being used for human consumption, but I am for anything to get the drugs out of the game. The more light shown on it the better. If enough light is shown on it, there use might be banned. That is last thing some people want and will attack anyone who shine any light the dark underside of American racing. I expect endless posts on how these drugs are actually beneficial to the horse because that is what usually happens in threads like this. I, for one, am not buying any part of that argument.

burnsy
12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
The thread has once again brought out the usual defenders of the doping of the American race horse. I am not a big fan of horse meat being used for human consumption, but I am for anything to get the drugs out of the game. The more light shown on it the better. If enough light is shown on it, there use might be banned. That is last thing some people want and will attack anyone who shine any light the dark underside of American racing. I expect endless posts on how these drugs are actually beneficial to the horse because that is what usually happens in threads like this. I, for one, am not buying any part of that argument.
Its a noble idea, good luck with that. But this is a dopers paradise.....its a society issue that goes beyond horses.....got an ache,,,heres a pill, a little pain....heres another. Gee, i wonder how all these valiums and oxy hit the streets???? Thats not enough, heres an injection too! As for the food we eat. Who knows whats in it. People are fatter than ever and getting sick all the time from, of all things, food. Monsanto and others spend millions lobbying the government so we don't even know how they engineer it. Do you really think they give a crap about horse meat???? Being shipped elsewhere? Like i said, good luck with that. I agree with most of what you said,,,but that doesn't matter. This is the drug and hormone capitol of the world. Don't get caught puffing a doobie though....in many states its still a no-no. But if you want to buy some synthetic dope, its all over the shelves. It may kill you, but hey, its legal..............:D

nijinski
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Who is defending doping here ? The commisions and the tracks are working forwardly on the matter of race day meds , so it appears . When horses are not racing and they are sore , they might need an anti imflammatory
I would hope thats reasonable .

johnhannibalsmith
12-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Who is defending doping here ? ...

I don't think Goren even read what was being posted for him to post that. Somebody just triggered his soapbox reflex by not speaking with the ridiculous, absolutist generalities that he does on the subject of medication... or most any other subject.