PDA

View Full Version : Gruden

cj
12-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Does he ever shut up? Listening to him, every player and coach is a future Hall of Famer. Then, he says the same things over and over and over. I don't remember him being like this a few years ago, but I find him unbearable now.

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Don't know why he doesn't go back to coaching - he was a very good one.
Seems like one of those film room guys who absolutely lives football, but is very boring to listen to...i imagine Sean Payton and Urban Meyer are the same way.

horses4courses
12-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Does he ever shut up? Listening to him, every player and coach is a future Hall of Famer. Then, he says the same things over and over and over. I don't remember him being like this a few years ago, but I find him unbearable now.

Wish I had $20 for every time I have said that about him lately.
Hard to listen to.....

Mailman
12-03-2012, 11:36 PM
cj, i was thinking the same thing about him tonight, finally i just shut it down,

Hosshead
12-04-2012, 05:58 AM
He uses a lot of coaching lingo, formations etc. when going on and on.
I bet half the players couldn't follow his ramblings.

He talks like he is sitting around a table with a bunch of coaches talking in coaching terms, using coaching phrases etc.
Last night he said something (don't remember exactly what), but at the time I thought, I'll bet about 95% of the audience doesn't know what the hell that "term" means or what he's talking about, and them I realized that after a while I had just "tuned" his voice out in my head.

He talks like he is always trying to show everyone that he is a coach and you're not.

I think he's kind of a likeable guy, but needs to learn how to talk to the avg. viewer, and learn when to shut up.

JustRalph
12-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Broadcasting is easier than coaching and pays well.

OTM Al
12-04-2012, 06:57 AM

He's working with Mike Tirico, who may be the most boring sportscaster in the business, so he does need to talk extra. That said though, he regularly get to the point every game where I think "what is this guy talking about?"

TexasDolly
12-04-2012, 07:37 AM
They desperately miss "Jaws". He broke the non-stop hysteria. Trico and Gruden wear thin too fast.

Charli125
12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
He's working with Mike Tirico, who may be the most boring sportscaster in the business, so he does need to talk extra. That said though, he regularly get to the point every game where I think "what is this guy talking about?"

Tirico is boring, Gruden is a rambling mess, I use the mute button. My wife was reading while I watched MNF last night and she stopped reading to ask me who that guy was that sounded like he was drunk AND high on cocaine.

Mind you, I'm a Raiders fan, so I'm far from impartial.

thaskalos
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I like Gruden. He is likable, enthusiastic, and has great knowledge of the game. He might be trying a little too hard to be the next John Madden...but I can live with that.

You might accuse him of talking too much...but I don't see how you can call him boring. IMO...the word "boring" should be reserved for guys like Phil Simms or Ron Jaworski.

The great "professional" announcers of yesteryear are all gone.

We have gone from the Pat Summeralls to the Cris Collinsworths...:ThmbDown:

Valuist
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I agree Gruden sells the game way too much. Remember earlier in the season, the Bears were playing the Cowboys and he used some Greek mythology reference regarding Romo and Cutler. Was way over the top.

Theismann was the same way. I wonder if ESPN is telling the color guys to go overboard on superlatives.

Words like "great" and "superstar" are overused way too much, be it in the NFL, horse racing, or any sport.

cj
12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I agree Gruden sells the game way too much. Remember earlier in the season, the Bears were playing the Cowboys and he used some Greek mythology reference regarding Romo and Cutler. Was way over the top.

Theismann was the same way. I wonder if ESPN is telling the color guys to go overboard on superlatives.

Words like "great" and "superstar" are overused way too much, be it in the NFL, horse racing, or any sport.

Remember the old days when announcers on Monday night would actually criticize a coach or a player? Now they are all the greatest to ever lace up the spikes.

JustRalph
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Remember the old days when announcers on Monday night would actually criticize a coach or a player? Now they are all the greatest to ever lace up the spikes.

I noticed that the other night. They were talking about how great the position coaches for the Eagles were. Yet, if you read about the turmoil ec they have brought upon themselves ..........it blows your mind.

I can imagine what Cosell would be saying about a pack of overpaid losers who were fighting like school girls at the practice sessions

Robert Fischer
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
most of these guys are either boring or annoying if you focus too much on their styles.

You've got gung ho coach-speak guys..., stats guys, draft-combine-speak guys....

Al Michaels is an old pro and he took Cris Collinsworth under his wing, at least to the point that Collinsworth usually has a better feel for announcing.

At least they are all enthusiastic about football. It's not that bad.

Valuist
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM
We may get our wish. Rumors about Gruden heading back to Oakland. Not sure in what role; could be as a consultant to GM Reggie McKenzie.

Charli125
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
We may get our wish. Rumors about Gruden heading back to Oakland. Not sure in what role; could be as a consultant to GM Reggie McKenzie.

I wish there was a smilie that had me shooting myself in the face.

That would be a horrible idea. He wasn't a good coach, and the only reason he won a SuperBowl was because the new coaching staff was too stupid to change their play calls and his D new exactly what play was coming.

The Raiders, while still being terrible, are making some positive strides since Al passed away, I really hope they don't bring Gruden back.

horses4courses
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Was really looking forward to tonight's game.
Then it hit me.......Gruden.

Robert Goren
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I still remember Dennis Miller. After him, I find it hard to criticise anybody.

MaTH716
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm really looking forward to Mr. Gruden's commentary for next weeks Jets-Titans potential barn burner. :rolleyes:

Ugh........