PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rookie of the Year

Valuist
12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Its official; its now a 3 horse race. Maybe its because he plays in Seattle, maybe because many felt it was only a matter of time before Flynn would replace him, but Russell Wilson has to be in the race. Here's the breakdown number wise. RG3 still has to play tonight:

QB rating: RG3 104.6 Wilson 95.2 Luck 76.1
TD passes: Wilson 19 Luck 17 RG3 16
Interceptions thrown: RG3 4 Wilson 8 Luck 16
Pass yards/game: Luck 300 RG3 227 Wilson 195
Completion pct: RG3 67.4% Wilson 63.4% Luck 55.5%
Rush yards: RG3 642 Wilson 298 Luck 216
Rush TDs: RG3 6 Luck 5 Wilson 0
Win loss: Luck 8-4 Wilson 7-5 RG3 5-6

cj
12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I know he won't win, but Doug Martin should be on that list.

redshift1
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Total yards

Luck 3596

Griffiin 2497

Wilson 2344

Luck on pace to set several rookie quarterback passing records on a team that won 2 games in 2011 and is likely to finish 10-6 in 2012. He's the favorite now but with two games remaining against the Texans things could change.

Valuist
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Total yards

Luck 3596

Griffiin 2497

Wilson 2344

Luck on pace to set several rookie quarterback passing records on a team that won 2 games in 2011 and is likely to finish 10-6 in 2012. He's the favorite now but with two games remaining against the Texans things could change.

Those numbers aren't correct. First off, you left out RG3's rushing yardage, which is over 600 yards. And RG has only played in 11 games as they play tonight. I also believe the most overrated stat in the NFL is passing yardage. Anyone can pile up a ton of yardage throwing 45-50 times a game. Matthew Stafford leads the NFL in passing yardage and Tony Romo is 3rd with Luck 4th. In terms of efficiency of performance, none of those QBs have a rating of over 90.

Valuist
12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I know he won't win, but Doug Martin should be on that list.

He'll be in the top 4 but you know QBs always win these awards.

Robert Fischer
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I personally think Griffin has had a better year, but I pick Luck as most likely to win the ROY.

10 wins and good edge in Passing Yards.

redshift1
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Those numbers aren't correct. First off, you left out RG3's rushing yardage, which is over 600 yards. And RG has only played in 11 games as they play tonight. I also believe the most overrated stat in the NFL is passing yardage. Anyone can pile up a ton of yardage throwing 45-50 times a game. Matthew Stafford leads the NFL in passing yardage and Tony Romo is 3rd with Luck 4th. In terms of efficiency of performance, none of those QBs have a rating of over 90.

Yes passing yards not total yards. Luck getting most of the press right now after all Indianapolis was ranked 32nd preseason.

proximity
12-03-2012, 05:54 PM
i'm a colts fan and would not trade luck for wilson or rg3. only one rookie quarterback would've engineered that winning drive (with no timeouts) against the lions. only one rookie quarterback could win with the colts... who have no defense, at least vs teams who aren't total trainwrecks. also i don't care who wins rookie of the year, but from the colts t.y. hilton had another big game and should be given consideration.

cj's dad
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
good_luck1.jpg (attachment.php?attachmentid=10020&stc=1)

elysiantraveller
12-03-2012, 09:18 PM
RG3 is more deserving than Luck but I don't think he gets it.

Valuist
12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
i'm a colts fan and would not trade luck for wilson or rg3. only one rookie quarterback would've engineered that winning drive (with no timeouts) against the lions. only one rookie quarterback could win with the colts... who have no defense, at least vs teams who aren't total trainwrecks. also i don't care who wins rookie of the year, but from the colts t.y. hilton had another big game and should be given consideration.

Did you see the drive Wilson engineered? 80 plus yards and against a much better defense.

cj
12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
RG3 is more deserving than Luck but I don't think he gets it.

Why? Luck has been very good, they both don't have a lot of help, and Luck has won a lot more games. I don't see how anyone could state it is clear cut for one.

cj
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Did you see the drive Wilson engineered? 80 plus yards and against a much better defense.

Wilson hasn't been as good as the other two this year, and he is on a better team.

elysiantraveller
12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Why? Luck has been very good, they both don't have a lot of help, and Luck has won a lot more games. I don't see how anyone could state it is clear cut for one.

Colts > Redskins

RG3's best weapon is Santana Moss... :ThmbDown:

I like both these guys and think both will probably end up in the HOF but RG3's has done as much... with less IMO... in a tougher division.

Valuist
12-03-2012, 11:48 PM

Luck has won one more game than Wilson, and against a MUCH easier schedule than either of the other two. He also has a Pro Bowl WR in Reggie Wayne. RG3 has had Garcon for about 3 games. Who does Wilson have? Sidney Rice?

MaTH716
12-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Colts > Redskins

RG3's best weapon is Santana Moss... :ThmbDown:

I like both these guys and think both will probably end up in the HOF but RG3's has done as much... with less IMO... in a tougher division.

I disagree, he didn't throw the ball to Moss once to tonight. RG3 does have a viable running back who can run the ball which makes him so much more effective. Luck doesn't have that luxury. They are both dynamic and should be stars for a long time. Right now I'm leaning towards Luck.

Valuist
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I disagree, he didn't throw the ball to Moss once to tonight. RG3 does have a viable running back who can run the ball which makes him so much more effective. Luck doesn't have that luxury. They are both dynamic and should be stars for a long time. Right now I'm leaning towards Luck.

Morris doesn't make RG3; its the other way around. RG3 freezes defenses, and they are scared of the long pass or him running. They'd rather give up 6 yards to Morris rather than a 20 yard gain.

cj
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Luck has won one more game than Wilson, and against a MUCH easier schedule than either of the other two. He also has a Pro Bowl WR in Reggie Wayne. RG3 has had Garcon for about 3 games. Who does Wilson have? Sidney Rice?

I just don't see Wilson having near the talent at QB that either of the other two do. It isn't even really close. Seattle is known for their defense, the other two teams not so much.

MaTH716
12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Morris doesn't make RG3; its the other way around. RG3 freezes defenses, and they are scared of the long pass or him running. They'd rather give up 6 yards to Morris rather than a 20 yard gain.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think Morris is a much better back than what Luck has in Indy. I just don't think that Donald Brown (if healthy) has 1000 yards rushing if he's playing in Washington. That kid Morris was a find for them.

Valuist
12-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I just don't see Wilson having near the talent at QB that either of the other two do. It isn't even really close. Seattle is known for their defense, the other two teams not so much.

I agree with most of that but the fact Wilson isn't as talented, yet has produced at a high level is impressive. Realistically even if Seattle wins the rest of their games and he finishes with a QB rating of 100 I don't think he would win because he hasn't had the hype.

Indy will make the playoffs and get absolutely murdered.

proximity
12-04-2012, 02:52 AM
uhh?? while we probably have better receivers and tight ends than washington and seattle, that is pretty much it.... the core of our team is vastly inferior. our offensive line isn't good at pass blocking (not that we have any great running game) and our defense struggles to get a good team (and some bad teams... like the jets) off the field. tom zbikowski sees significant playing time. julian edelman looks like jerry rice against us. our new head coach has missed several games due to cancer. and andrew luck has this team at 8-4?

Valuist
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
uhh?? while we probably have better receivers and tight ends than washington and seattle, that is pretty much it.... the core of our team is vastly inferior. our offensive line isn't good at pass blocking (not that we have any great running game) and our defense struggles to get a good team (and some bad teams... like the jets) off the field. tom zbikowski sees significant playing time. julian edelman looks like jerry rice against us. our new head coach has missed several games due to cancer. and andrew luck has this team at 8-4?

Your defense isn't as good as Seattle, or your running game either. Washington has had their share of problems. Two of their top defenders, Orakpo and Carreker were out for the year early on. London Fletcher has missed a bulk of the year. Garcon, who is a legit big play receiver, has only returned to the Redskins after getting hurt in week 1.

Luck: 17 TD passes, 5 TD runs, 16 interceptions thrown and 5 fumbles lost
RG3: 17 TD passes, 6 TD runs, 4 interceptions thrown and 2 fumbles lost

Luck 22 total TDs, 21 turnovers
RG3: 23 total TDs, 6 turnovers

cj
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Your defense isn't as good as Seattle, or your running game either. Washington has had their share of problems. Two of their top defenders, Orakpo and Carreker were out for the year early on. London Fletcher has missed a bulk of the year. Garcon, who is a legit big play receiver, has only returned to the Redskins after getting hurt in week 1.

Luck: 17 TD passes, 5 TD runs, 16 interceptions thrown and 5 fumbles lost
RG3: 17 TD passes, 6 TD runs, 4 interceptions thrown and 2 fumbles lost

Luck 22 total TDs, 21 turnovers
RG3: 23 total TDs, 6 turnovers

London Fletcher hasn't missed a game yet. He is playing hurt, but who isn't this time of year?

RaceBookJoe
12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
London Fletcher hasn't missed a game yet. He is playing hurt, but who isn't this time of year?

Right, Fletcher hasnt missed a start, but Redskins are also without their starting safeties in addition to Orakpo/Carriker. Garcon missed a bunch of games and #1 TE Davis is gone also.

Valuist
12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Right, Fletcher hasnt missed a start, but Redskins are also without their starting safeties in addition to Orakpo/Carriker. Garcon missed a bunch of games and #1 TE Davis is gone also.

Forgot about Fred Davis and the safeties. Davis was projected to put up solid receiving numbers.

RaceBookJoe
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Forgot about Fred Davis and the safeties. Davis was projected to put up solid receiving numbers.

If Davis comes back and comes back healthy, the offense will be scary next year..with overall health and possibly getting a real RT. Defense needs a ton of work though. RG3 has the tools, and for now, that pistol formation must be giving opposing dc's nightmares.

Valuist
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
If Davis comes back and comes back healthy, the offense will be scary next year..with overall health and possibly getting a real RT. Defense needs a ton of work though. RG3 has the tools, and for now, that pistol formation must be giving opposing dc's nightmares.

But you look at the D, Orakpo and Carreker will be back, concentrate in the draft on D, maybe sign a free agent and you become very formidable. As for the O, they will be great as long as RG3 doesn't get hurt.

Valuist
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
In the words of Mike Battaglia,

"GAINING GROUND up from the OUTSIDE, its Russell Wilson." I think its a photo between him and RG3 with Luck back in 3rd. Seattle is really rolling. Actually think Wilson is now the slight favorite.

cj
12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
In the words of Mike Battaglia,

"GAINING GROUND up from the OUTSIDE, its Russell Wilson." I think its a photo between him and RG3 with Luck back in 3rd. Seattle is really rolling. Actually think Wilson is now the slight favorite.

I still I think it is RG3. I'm not saying he should be favored, but I think he is. A win over Dallas in a national tv game, the last game of the season, will cement it if he plays well.

Valuist
12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I still I think it is RG3. I'm not saying he should be favored, but I think he is. A win over Dallas in a national tv game, the last game of the season, will cement it if he plays well.

I hope you are right. I have a dinner for four at Bob Chinns (a famous Chicago area seafood restaurant) riding on it. I have RG3 and my friend has Luck. I'm probably biased, but Luck just hasn't overwhelmed me. I realize he's engineered some nice 4th quarter wins, but I've watched them, and in many cases, if he had played better earlier in the game, they wouldn't have been in that position. And if the Colts had either Seattle or Washington's schedule, they don't have more than 5 wins. Take away NE and Denver, and the AFC is Sham to Secretariat in the Belmont.

rastajenk
12-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Colts went 3-1 vs. NFC North, which could still get 3 teams into the playoffs; not too shabby.

Valuist
12-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Colts went 3-1 vs. NFC North, which could still get 3 teams into the playoffs; not too shabby.

3 are still eligible, but 3 can't make it. The Bears need to win and Vikings to lose for the Bears to get in. If the Vikings win, I know they would own the tiebreaker over the Bears. If the Bears, Vikings and Redskins ALL lose, I think (but not 100% sure), the Redskins would get the 2nd wildcard.

rastajenk
12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah, you're right. At first glance I thought they could both get in with 10 wins, but I forgot or overlooked that Seattle has already clinched one of the WCs.

proximity
12-24-2012, 07:27 PM
i am a colts fan and don't think we're as good as seattle, but in defense of our team, WE BASICALLY DID HAVE SEATTLE'S SCHEDULE and have the same record that they do. actually, our record should be better than their record since they really lost to green bay.

they played marginally tougher dallas and carolina (vs our cle and kc) but other than that hou and sf is about a push and i think the colts could maybe go at least 3-1 vs az and the rams.

cj's dad
12-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Martin hands down

Stillriledup
12-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Martin hands down

RW3

Valuist
12-25-2012, 06:52 PM
i am a colts fan and don't think we're as good as seattle, but in defense of our team, WE BASICALLY DID HAVE SEATTLE'S SCHEDULE and have the same record that they do. actually, our record should be better than their record since they really lost to green bay.

they played marginally tougher dallas and carolina (vs our cle and kc) but other than that hou and sf is about a push and i think the colts could maybe go at least 3-1 vs az and the rams.

You've played 4 solid teams (Chicago, Green Bay, New England and Houston) so far, and its debateable how good the Bears are; probably not a top 10 team and you have one quality win. Seattle has a number of quality wins, having beaten San Fran, New England, Green Bay and Chicago.

I realize a team can only beat who is on their schedule, and there's no doubt the Colts have improved significantly from last year. But they still have a lot of holes and Luck can't keep completing 48% of his passes. The Colts are a screaming UNDER wager next summer when season win totals come out.

proximity
12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
You've played 4 solid teams (Chicago, Green Bay, New England and Houston) so far, and its debateable how good the Bears are; probably not a top 10 team and you have one quality win. Seattle has a number of quality wins, having beaten San Fran, New England, Green Bay and Chicago.

i prefer to go by the body of work rather than just looking at a few select games. the colts and seattle have 8 common opponents. the colts went 5-3 vs these teams and seattle went 6-2..... but really went 5-3 because of the green bay game.

but really, i don't even care. i'm defending the colts because on the last page you said they wouldn't win more than 5 games against seattle's schedule and since they actually did win 5 games against the 8 common opponents then we're supposed to believe they'd go 0-8 against dallas, carolina, and the nfc west?

anyhow merry christmas and enjoy your seafood dinner no matter who pays.

kingfin66
12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
i prefer to go by the body of work rather than just looking at a few select games. the colts and seattle have 8 common opponents. the colts went 5-3 vs these teams and seattle went 6-2..... but really went 5-3 because of the green bay game.

but really, i don't even care. i'm defending the colts because on the last page you said they wouldn't win more than 5 games against seattle's schedule and since they actually did win 5 games against the 8 common opponents then we're supposed to believe they'd go 0-8 against dallas, carolina, and the nfc west?

anyhow merry christmas and enjoy your seafood dinner no matter who pays.

Of course there were some ridiculous calls in the Seattle/Green Bay game, but if you want to use that logic then you have to say that Seattle's loss against Miami is really a win. Don't know if you saw that game, but Seattle had a game winning INT taken away by a terrible roughing the QB call. Even Tannehill thought the ref went overboard in protecting him. The bottom line is that bad calls have a way of evening out over the course of a season.

The Colts have had an incredible turn around. No doubt about it.

kingfin66
12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Martin hands down

I don't know about "hands down," but he has been very impressive. He gets overshadowed by all the quarterbacks, but he should get some votes. It's kind of the same deal with AP. He also gets overshadowed by qb's but should win the MVP.

Valuist
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know about "hands down," but he has been very impressive. He gets overshadowed by all the quarterbacks, but he should get some votes. It's kind of the same deal with AP. He also gets overshadowed by qb's but should win the MVP.

I think Peterson gets MVP and (Peyton) Manning gets Comeback player of the year.

As for Martin, he's not even the leading rookie in rush yards. He's 100 yards behind Albert Morris.

kingfin66
12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Don't forget about Megatron for MVP either. He set a nice record this year. Of course, it helps that Detroit throws it so much.

Valuist
12-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Don't forget about Megatron for MVP either. He set a nice record this year. Of course, it helps that Detroit throws it so much.

Megatron is a great player but he will never get it. Detroit is always losing so they throw 45-50 times a game. Brees, Stafford and Romo are 1-2-3 in passing yardage and its likely none will be in the playoffs this year.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I haven't studied the statistics too much, but Russel Wilson seems like the best rookie season to me. There whole team has come on and he puts a lot of pressure on defenses and performs with confidence.

RG3 had that stretch of games where he was running the read-option and he and his RB were gashing defenses with runs, and you couldn't tell who had the ball. Then he was throwing over top of the safety and executing the passing offense. Before he got hurt I think he was the most valuable individual rookie. How often the skins can afford to risk unleashing RG3 (just for playoffs and swing games?) in the future will be something to watch.

Luck hasn't been as consistent but he has a lot of yards, his team has a lot of wins, and he has lead some come backs.

I'm just happy to see some nice rookie QB's, any one of these guys is a winner.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
MVP

The league is built around the QBs and offensive coordinators.

Adrian Peterson is having a dominant year.

JJ Watt is having maybe the freakiest year. The 3-4 defensive end is typically a blue-collar position. It isn't a numbers position and teams like the Steelers(one of the leaders in the 3-4 defense) have traditionally used it like a hybrid nosetackle to free up linebackers. Watt has 20.5 sacks :eek:, he's got 15! passes defensed 65tackles and 4 forced fumbles. He's changed the way the position should be thought of and has had a historical year for any defender.

Still the QB is so valuable. You could trade Peyton Manning(and an offensive coordinator) for Peterson, and Minnesota would be a better team. Denver would be much worse. Watt probably wins a couple games, but he can't consistently change game outcomes like a Manning, Brady or Rodgers.

MVP = Peyton Manning

Valuist
12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I haven't studied the statistics too much, but Russel Wilson seems like the best rookie season to me. There whole team has come on and he puts a lot of pressure on defenses and performs with confidence.

RG3 had that stretch of games where he was running the read-option and he and his RB were gashing defenses with runs, and you couldn't tell who had the ball. Then he was throwing over top of the safety and executing the passing offense. Before he got hurt I think he was the most valuable individual rookie. How often the skins can afford to risk unleashing RG3 (just for playoffs and swing games?) in the future will be something to watch.

Luck hasn't been as consistent but he has a lot of yards, his team has a lot of wins, and he has lead some come backs.

I'm just happy to see some nice rookie QB's, any one of these guys is a winner.

Fair points on RG3. I think they could be in trouble this weekend. Watching him last weekend, he was moving very tentatively. He destroyed the Cowboys on T-Giving day, but if he isn't a threat to run, it will be a good test for him.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Fair points on RG3. I think they could be in trouble this weekend. Watching him last weekend, he was moving very tentatively. He destroyed the Cowboys on T-Giving day, but if he isn't a threat to run, it will be a good test for him.

RG3 is good passer, I'm just not sure yet if his amazing QB rating will carry over to more of a pocket-passing style. He throws a good ball...

As far as the game this weekend - lets see how the playoff picture looks.
If they don't have the wildcard clinched, RG3 will be hard used.

Valuist
12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
This has been an amazing rookie class. Doug Martin will finish 5th in the voting, and in most years, his season would've been good enough to win Rookie of the Year.

Maximillion
01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
This has been an amazing rookie class. Doug Martin will finish 5th in the voting, and in most years, his season would've been good enough to win Rookie of the Year.

It sure is.

Not only that but they all seem to "get it" and are very likeable.Another good thing.

cj's dad
01-01-2013, 10:10 PM
The ravens are re-booting (i.e. healthy) on the D- they (read Ray Lewis) will know how to neutralize him. R's win !!

Valuist
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Think that the RoY award may have come down to today's game between Seattle and Washington. Wilson may have been last out of the starting gate, but he might be the favorite now. Think Luck is clearly in 3rd.

Valuist
01-21-2013, 05:32 PM
The Sporting News just announced RGIII as their winner. Its not the "official" NFL award but he won fairly easily. Think its likely he gets the NFL's RoY.

Valuist
02-02-2013, 07:46 PM
A clean sweep for RGIII as he's named the official AP Rookie of the Year. I think I will go with the Mahi Mahi and a pitcher of Mai Tais.

cj's dad
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Vick in another uniform. The players will solve the puzzle and he will soon be another flash in the pan.

Valuist
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Vick in another uniform. The players will solve the puzzle and he will soon be another flash in the pan.

There is a big difference between Vick and RGIII. RGIII has a brain. The other guy doesn't.

cj
02-03-2013, 11:43 AM
There is a big difference between Vick and RGIII. RGIII has a brain. The other guy doesn't.

That is one difference. The other is that Griffin can actually throw with accuracy.