PDA

View Full Version : Golf: proposal to ban anchored strokes

DJofSD
11-28-2012, 08:44 AM
http://www.usga.org/news/2012/November/Proposed-Rules-Change-to-Prohibit-Anchoring/

I'm in favor of the change. Basically, I view using an anchored putter as a crutch.

Let the debate begin.

cj
11-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm no fan of it either, wouldn't mind seeing it go.

Greyfox
11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I've never been a fan of it either.

However, this rule should have been dealt with long ago.

There are young players on tour who've never used another putting stroke.

Therefore I'm against changing it now.

DJofSD
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I've never been a fan of it either.

However, this rule should have been dealt with long ago.

There are young players on tour who've never used another putting stroke.

Therefore I'm against changing it now.
Interesting point you make about the young players only using an anchored stroke. The USGA and the R&A officials were on a special edition of Golf Central a little while ago and one of the reasons for "why now" had to do with the recently upswing in the use of an anchored stroke.

Bettowin
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Can you stand behind the ball and putt it?

DJofSD
11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
There have been different strokes banned over the years. This might be one, but, to be sure, you would have to demonstrate it, some how.

For sure, you may not straddle the line of the putt, but, you can stroke it side saddle, i.e. with the putter held by your side and with the ball placed on the outside of your foot.

Greyfox
11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Interesting point you make about the young players only using an anchored stroke. The USGA and the R&A officials were on a special edition of Golf Central a little while ago and one of the reasons for "why now" had to do with the recently upswing in the use of an anchored stroke.

They didn't give two hoots about it for years until players started winning majors with it, Ernie Els most recently.

Greyfox
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM

No. Sam Snead did it for awhile and fearing that someday someone might try a pool cue type putter the rule was made more specific.