PDA

View Full Version : A book worth reading

sandpit
11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
While I'm not normally compelled to do this, I have just finished one of the best works of non-fiction I have ever read. It is titled "Destiny of the Republic", by Candice Millard. It is the story of President James Garfield's life, but also much more. Intertwining a bio of his assassin, Garfield's family, Alexander Graham Bell, Robert Todd Lincoln (the president's son), Joseph Lister, Garfield's post-assassination doctors, as well as a myriad of other people, the story is a fascinating look at a remarkable man that does not get his historical due.

I knew next to nothing about Garfield prior to reading this, but now have a great appreciation for him and deeper understanding of the psyche of our nation in the late 19th century.

Millard has also written a book called The River of Doubt about Teddy Roosevelt, which I haven't read, but if her work is anywhere close to what she's done in this one, I have no doubt it will be great too.

DJofSD
11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
One book I enjoyed on cassette tape was Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage." In this day and age, this work definitely gives you a true measure of the enormous task faced by Lewis and Clark.

And, if you appreciate a well researched and well spun tale, just about everything I have read or listened to from Simon Winchester is I believe excellent. The latest is "Atlantic" which I have both the unabridged CD and the book. I've listen to it twice and now I'm reading the book.

Tom
11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Just ordered this one.
I figure it will be an asset for posting here in OT.

Jay Trotter
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Just ordered this one.
I figure it will be an asset for posting here in OT.Tom, the writing is too small................I can't tell, are you one of the contributing authors? :lol:

I'm just kidding! :lol:

Tom
11-28-2012, 09:24 PM
No, but I am quoted several times!

sandpit
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
One book I enjoyed on cassette tape was Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage." In this day and age, this work definitely gives you a true measure of the enormous task faced by Lewis and Clark.

And, if you appreciate a well researched and well spun tale, just about everything I have read or listened to from Simon Winchester is I believe excellent. The latest is "Atlantic" which I have both the unabridged CD and the book. I've listen to it twice and now I'm reading the book.

We must be on the same wavelength, because I'm getting ready to start Ambrose's book now. I told my kids tonight I wished I was born in about 1775, then I would have been in my prime to join them on their cross-country trek. We saw some landmarks from their trip when we were in Montana and Idaho this summer; very fascinating stuff.

NJ Stinks
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Sandpit, I just bought Destiny of the Republic for a friend. It's a Xmas gift.

I appreciate the tip! :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Great book.... I finished it a couple of days after the original post.

Fantastic............

Rookies
01-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Saw the Movie and am now reading Goodwin's: ' Team of Rivals'.

EXCELLENT!:ThmbUp: