PDA

View Full Version : Inquries In Heavy Fog

awrobe01
11-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,

I love reading about horse racing of the past. I was recently reading a article that talked about how jockies would punch and scrap each other at times during the race. How there would be alot of race ridding during the race (cutting another horse off on purpose). This was of course before video.

We have all watched races in which the fog is so bad that you don't see the runner besides when they leave the gate and when they cross the finish line. I was wondering how they would call a inqury in heavy fog. Wondering if jockies take advantage of the fact that the stewards can't see them during the race. Weather it be punching another jocky, hitting abother jocky with the whilp, or simply just making a horse check on purpose by cutting them off. Has anyone ever heard stories from jockey complaning of these happenings during heavy fog in which the stewards can't see the race.

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I've only heard this about short-stature Caucasian and African-American jockeys of yesteryear...modern-day Latin jockeys seem to play by the rules no matter the atmospheric conditions...go figure!

johnhannibalsmith
11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
...modern-day Latin jockeys seem to play by the rules no matter the atmospheric conditions...go figure!

TVtthE4sLXo

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
My response, was of course, for those lucky enough to bear witness to awrobe01's last (and now non-existent) thread... :lol:

Tom
11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
How foggy was it?
It was so foggy......:lol:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-18/sports/sp-461_1_horse-
disqualified

v j stauffer
11-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Hey guys,

I love reading about horse racing of the past. I was recently reading a article that talked about how jockies would punch and scrap each other at times during the race. How there would be alot of race ridding during the race (cutting another horse off on purpose). This was of course before video.

We have all watched races in which the fog is so bad that you don't see the runner besides when they leave the gate and when they cross the finish line. I was wondering how they would call a inqury in heavy fog. Wondering if jockies take advantage of the fact that the stewards can't see them during the race. Weather it be punching another jocky, hitting abother jocky with the whilp, or simply just making a horse check on purpose by cutting them off. Has anyone ever heard stories from jockey complaning of these happenings during heavy fog in which the stewards can't see the race.

If the stewards can't see they can't rule. However remember we have numerous camera locations and angles the general public never see during a normal live presentation. Also patrol judges are just a few feet from the action in stands strategically located around the track. In extreme cases outriders could be asked to contribute observations as well. If so foggy that none of those avenues could help. It's likely the race would have been delayed for safer conditions anyway. Hope that helps.

Greyfox
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
A good case for trackus chicklets?

gFTTxz9TTTQ

SharpCat
11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
How foggy was it?
It was so foggy......:lol:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-18/sports/sp-461_1_horse-
disqualified

Sylvester Carmouche just got Lost in the Fog.

5k-claim
11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
If the stewards can't see they can't rule. However remember we have numerous camera locations and angles the general public never see during a normal live presentation. Also patrol judges are just a few feet from the action in stands strategically located around the track. In extreme cases outriders could be asked to contribute observations as well. If so foggy that none of those avenues could help. It's likely the race would have been delayed for safer conditions anyway. Hope that helps.Working in the role of steward, how many times have you actually dealt with foggy conditions during racing?

v j stauffer
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=5k-claim]Working in the role of steward, how many times have you actually dealt with foggy conditions during racing?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask because of two reasons. 1. I work in California where weather is rarely a problem. 2. Stewarding at this point in my career is only part time. I've worked about 100 days total.

Over the years as an announcer I would say working with other stewards the times fog has been an issue might be 5, maybe less, in 25 years.