PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Tournament Tips

thearmada
11-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I think I was fortunate enough today to win a seat to a NHC qualifier tomorrow and Sunday. Entry was won by winning a smaller satellite tournament. This was my third tournament so to say the least, I was lucky.

What tips would any experienced players have to offer to a player just getting started in tournaments?

Thanks!

Helles
11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
You might consider picking up a copy of Noel Michaels' book "Handicapping Contest Handbook: A Horseplayer's Guide to the DRF/NTRA National Championship".

The first tip is to forget all about selecting horses in the low odds ranges, but I'm sure you already figured that out. :)

www1.drf.com/misc/NHCChap4.pdf

Good luck in the future!

cato
12-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Congratulations!

I have not won (yet) but I've been a couple of times -

definitely get the book - it's a great review of information regarding tournaments

learn the rules

get some rest

chill

go to Vegas a day or two early (but not too many days - you may forget why you are there)

stay positive and do not freak out when you miss a few (or a lot of) races in a row. In a tournament like that it only takes hitting a couple of races and you can get back in the competition

I posted last year on the fallacy of betting on all high odds horses and maybe you can find that. Basically you have to increase your money by a factor of 2 (or a little more) to be in the hunt so you have to be good and lucky but it's something you have done before. Most of the winners have hit on a pretty broad range of horses from low to higher odds.

Good luck and have fun!

Frank