PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the replacement refs!

cj
11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Within a minute, they blew an obvious pass interference call then gave a guy a long TD run when he was CLEARLY down after a short gain. To top it off,Schwartz stupidly threw the challenge flag and because of a ridiculous rule that negated any chance of a Booth review. I understand it being a penalty, but no way should it negate the possibility of a review.

Zydeco
11-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't they review all scoring pays?

cj
11-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Not if you throw a challenge flag, which is as stupid a rule as I've ever seen. He gets penalized 15 yards AND loses a review for that? Ridiculous.

JustRalph
11-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I cannot believe that nullified the review?

Good game .........

Zydeco
11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Not if you throw a challenge flag, which is as stupid a rule as I've ever seen. He gets penalized 15 yards AND loses a review for that? Ridiculous.
didn't see it.......green bay had something similar in pre season and McCarthy threw the flag knowing he would get a penalty...guess he was trying out how stupid the rule is. I agree with you...the point of review is to get the play right.

Zippy Chippy
11-22-2012, 05:26 PM
In OT Houston gets to the 30 I say "watch, they will get all conservative and try to kick a 45-50 yarder", the Detroit does the same thing. It's such bad strategy. Keep playing hard, get to the 15-20 and kick it. Why the hell would u settle for a 47 yard FG?

Tom
11-22-2012, 05:37 PM
So, what was worse, pathetic officiating or stupid coaching?
Guy needs to know the rules, or button up his pockets.
Good game, though.

Zippy Chippy
11-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Good game, though.

It's inexcusable being a coach and not knowing the rules. So ridiculous

elysiantraveller
11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Absolute BS game. Should have been pass interference in the Lions opening OT drive too to set the ball up on the 15 yard line. I'm so pissed I really can't even talk about it.

Its also time for the Lions and Schwartz to part ways... I like the guy but he simply isn't the guy to get them to the next level plus its not like they will have a hard time finding a good coach.

But I'm a Lions fan... I'm used to this !@#$...

redshift1
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Texans and Falcons, the two most fortunate NFL teams in 2012.

michiken
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Here in De-toilet, we are USED to the Lions finding a NEW way to lose!

It happens every year and has ruined my Sundays since I was a kid.

(Looks like the Titus Young curse has been passed on to Brandon Pettigrew???)

Argggh:ThmbDown:

cj
11-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Good game, though.

I guess it is close, but the call was so bad I have to say the officiating on that play was worse. Sure,.the coach should know the rules, but the officials should be able to know a runner is down when both his forearm then knee hits the ground. Pretty sure that is rule #1 in tackle football.

Tom
11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
The Lions play Tackle? :eek:

PhantomOnTour
11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
A little off topic, but that "play" by Sanchez was friggin awesome.
Doesn't even see his own OL in front of him and knocks himself silly while fumbling the ball...returned for a TD

A thing of beauty :D

MaTH716
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
A little off topic, but that "play" by Sanchez was friggin awesome.
Doesn't even see his own OL in front of him and knocks himself silly while fumbling the ball...returned for a TD

A thing of beauty :D

That single play is a microcosm of the entire Jets season. A busted play that Sanchez tries to make something out of. He runs into his own guy fumbles and it's picked up for 6 the other way. Only the Jets.

As far as the Forsett play in the Lions game, It is ridiculous that the play doesn't get looked at because Schwartzgot caught up in the moment and threw the flag. You want to penalize the Lions 15, fine, but letting a TD stand on a total blown call is just absurd.

Marshall Bennett
11-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Texans and Falcons, the two most fortunate NFL teams in 2012.
Why, because they have the league's best records? :)

JustRalph
11-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Both Ryan brothers will be off for Thanksgiving next year.

They can sit around the after meal table shopping the shoe catalogs

For their next wife

cj
11-23-2012, 03:41 PM
It was pretty funny watching the refs not overturn Romo's 2 point conversion too. The whole world could see his knee was down, but apparently not the head official. They really need a booth official. These guys are still too hesitant to overturn the guys on their team.

redshift1
11-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Why, because they have the league's best records? :)

Combined 19-2 which is very good I agree but they are also very fortunate when the following things (below) happen. it's not like they're steamrolling all their opponents.

Fumble
Interception
Penalty
Dropped Passes
Missed FG
O/T Games

Hosshead
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
... They really need a booth official. These guys are still too hesitant to overturn the guys on their team.
True. They are "hesitant" because they all stick together and don't want anyone pointing out their mistakes, or having any reason to fire them. In fact they think they are "above" being fired, as we saw when they went on strike.
I don't mind delays in the game at all, if I know they are going to "get it right".

But the NFL needs to change the "review rules" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The whole idea of a video review in the first place , is to get the Truth !

And with the technology of today (and tomorrow), you can't have the guy (sitting in his easy chair) thousands of miles away from the game, knowing more about the "Truth" of what's happening on the field, than the (arrogant) referees in the game itself !
And this goes for ANY SPORT.

And along with that, change the Overtime rule to NO Ties ! This is not hockey. You've got thousands of people, spending a good part of a day, sometimes braving the rain, snow, freezing temps, to see their beloved team.
And the game can end in a tie ???

And had the replacement refs made just half the mistakes last weekend as the "real refs", we would never hear the end of it !

MaTH716
11-23-2012, 11:21 PM
True. They are "hesitant" because they all stick together and don't want anyone pointing out their mistakes, or having any reason to fire them. In fact they think they are "above" being fired, as we saw when they went on strike.
I don't mind delays in the game at all, if I know they are going to "get it right".

But the NFL needs to change the "review rules" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The whole idea of a video review in the first place , is to get the Truth !

And with the technology of today (and tomorrow), you can't have the guy (sitting in his easy chair) thousands of miles away from the game, knowing more about the "Truth" of what's happening on the field, than the (arrogant) referees in the game itself !
And this goes for ANY SPORT.

And along with that, change the Overtime rule to NO Ties ! This is not hockey. You've got thousands of people, spending a good part of a day, sometimes braving the rain, snow, freezing temps, to see their beloved team.
And the game can end in a tie ???

And had the replacement refs made just half the mistakes last weekend as the "real refs", we would never hear the end of it !

There have been 6 ties since 1989. Not exactly a epidemic.

Hosshead
11-24-2012, 01:19 AM
There have been 6 ties since 1989. Not exactly a epidemic.
I hear what you're saying. But it's already happened this year. And it would be nice to know that there will be a winner when the game starts.

Also, it looks like the NFL will think again about the "replay/review" rules.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-examine-replay-rule-lions-193800731--nfl.html