PDA

View Full Version : $1 Pick-6 increment?

horses4courses
11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Looking at today's Hollywood Park card, with a PK-6 carryover in excess of $500K, it doesn't take me long to figure out that I won't be playing. Again.

In order to play the PK-6 properly, I would need a $100K bankroll strictly for that wager, and not bet in excess of 2% of it on any given card.
It would be nice to take a flyer on a small ticket today for a chance at a big score but, with a $2 increment, it's throwing money away.
Do you think PK-6 handle would increase, or decrease, in California if they halved the increment?

Also, do you think that a $1 PK-6 would increase it's popularity at east coast tracks? I know that Gulfstream has their own version (10 cent winner take all), and they seem to have made progress with it.

I'm adding a poll with the basic question of whether, or not, you think a $1 PK-6 increment is a good thing.
There may, however, be different circumstances at various tracks as to what might make the wager a success there. Any thoughts?

Gapfire
11-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I've often thought the same thing. I guess the $2 denomination helps create the big carryovers though.

magwell
11-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I would play the Pk 6 often, with $1 increments......You need to go deep to have any chance......:cool:

Al Gobbi
11-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Handle already has dropped on the Pick 6 in California - there have been a least three or four carryovers between SA and HP this fall that were around $30,000 - $40,000 and last week at Aqueduct there was a one day carryover of a whopping $12k.

It took three racing days to get a $560k triple carryover at Hollywood. Two or three years ago a three day pot would be around 1.5 million. And its probably only going to continue to drop.

gm10
11-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Looking at today's Hollywood Park card, with a PK-6 carryover in excess of $500K, it doesn't take me long to figure out that I won't be playing. Again.

In order to play the PK-6 properly, I would need a $100K bankroll strictly for that wager, and not bet in excess of 2% of it on any given card.
It would be nice to take a flyer on a small ticket today for a chance at a big score but, with a $2 increment, it's throwing money away.
Do you think PK-6 handle would increase, or decrease, in California if they halved the increment?

Also, do you think that a $1 PK-6 would increase it's popularity at east coast tracks? I know that Gulfstream has their own version (10 cent winner take all), and they seem to have made progress with it.

I'm adding a poll with the basic question of whether, or not, you think a $1 PK-6 increment is a good thing.
There may, however, be different circumstances at various tracks as to what might make the wager a success there. Any thoughts?

$0.50 would be perfect imo. I'm not too sure about the $0.10 one. You don't want too many winners either.

tiger rose
11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
It's one of the worst % plays you can make.
Very seldom play it,Big carryover days will take a stab,but not any big tickets

i like the gulfstream $0.10 winner take all play,you can cover a lot of longshots for a small investment

if you are bankrolling it large still i believe your much better off spreading it on the running P 3's

Robert Goren
11-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Why would they want to mess up one of the few good things that S. Cal races has going for it? I never bet it, but if you look at their pool size, it is one few things that is being bet out there.

citygoat
11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
i still miss santa anita's 5 dollar exactas

lamboguy
11-23-2012, 03:58 AM
i still miss santa anita's 5 dollar exactasi have to agree with you on that one. all these different exotic wagers have done nothing but hurt the game throughout the years. if it was up to me, i would only have a daily double and 3 exacta's on a racing card. never happen though!

judd
11-23-2012, 05:49 AM
i only play w-p-s

thaskalos
11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
i have to agree with you on that one. all these different exotic wagers have done nothing but hurt the game throughout the years. if it was up to me, i would only have a daily double and 3 exacta's on a racing card. never happen though!

Only a daily double and three exactas?

With today's six and seven-horse fields...what do you think this type of wagering format would do to the already dwindling mutuel handle nationwide? :)

mlbelang
11-23-2012, 07:10 PM
i only play w-p-s

I've been trying out this way of playing but I feel like it is just one huge grind.

Like today...I was doing crap at the A all day. I saw 2 horses I liked in the 7th (1 and 2) and played a $10 box. You just cant beat getting a $450 ticket every now and then for $10. In my opinion.

I never play Pick 6....every so often pick 3. Love the Double and Exacta wagers.

My go to bets:
1. Exacta
2. Win
3. Double
4. Show

JohnGalt1
11-24-2012, 08:14 AM

And don't forget the $3 minimum pick threes.

MickJ26
11-24-2012, 12:05 PM
NYRA raises their takeout when there's a pick six carryover, so it'd be unlikely they'd do anything to make it more hittable, even if it does increase handle in the short term.

fmolf
11-25-2012, 05:51 AM
NYRA raises their takeout when there's a pick six carryover, so it'd be unlikely they'd do anything to make it more hittable, even if it does increase handle in the short term.
Asa ny resident and bettor i think the amt. should be lowered.In cal. the 50cent p5 with its lowered takeout has overtaken the p6 as the favored wager.I play mostly w-p-s and exactas, with an occassional double or p3in certain situations.It is my feeling that most if not all p6 payouts are underlaid.

DeltaLover
12-01-2012, 09:29 AM
:ThmbUp:

Eddie W
12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I know, what this thread is talking about...
But to really really win the pick6...You have to have
a system for yourself, with very good numbers to play it
Just Like red, He plays it for fun, amd almost everyday
That is not going to get you anywhere, because a person is really
not study to the point where you only play at times...And not when
there is a carryover, because there is a catch to that..A person who
plays everyday has no time to study, what went wrong....But a 1.00
pick6 would be nice someday.....TCB

Stillriledup
12-01-2012, 07:45 PM
The pick 6 needs to remain as a 2 dollar base. Bettors want carryovers. If you have a 1 dollar pick 6, you will have many less carryovers.

I dont understand why people are complaining about altering the pick 6....there's a 50 cent pick 5 in California that has a massive pool, it completely affordable to everyone and quite often has boxcar payouts.

If you cant afford a 2 dollar pick 6, play something else, why does every bet have to be affordable for every horseplayer?

Its like Porsche saying they're going to stop making 911's because not everyone can afford one.

alydar
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
The pick 6 needs to remain as a 2 dollar base. Bettors want carryovers. If you have a 1 dollar pick 6, you will have many less carryovers.

I dont understand why people are complaining about altering the pick 6....there's a 50 cent pick 5 in California that has a massive pool, it completely affordable to everyone and quite often has boxcar payouts.

If you cant afford a 2 dollar pick 6, play something else, why does every bet have to be affordable for every horseplayer?

Its like Porsche saying they're going to stop making 911's because not everyone can afford one.

I agree with your logic. I also suspect the the Pick 5 is hurting P6 handle.

davew
12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I am waiting for a penny pick six.

Hopefully before I die, a track will implement this.

Linny
12-14-2012, 12:05 PM
The handle on P6 rises so significantly when there is a C/O that I cannot foresee the venues with active P6 pools (So Cal and NY) ever going to less than $2. When a one day c/o is (say) $30k at Belmont and the second day it's up in the $200k range, you see how important the co is to handle.

Now, some of the second tier P6 circuits (KY, FLA) might try it because they might like to boost participation.

That said, I'm not a serious P6 player because I don't have the bankroll and I don't like to tie up my money over such a long time, so take my opinions on it as you will.