PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving, Ya'll!

Shelby
11-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I hope you are all exactly where you want to be tomorrow...whether it's surrounded by loved ones or at the track or both!

I'm cooking for just the two of us--which is perfect :)

I'm making too much....
Oyster stew
Roasted Cornish game hens with butter and sage
Green bean and mushroom tart
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Mashed taters
Stuffing
Chicken and noodles (the thick kind to go over taters)
Cranberry and apple compote
Deviled eggs
Pumpkin tiramisu

Greyfox
11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Shelby.

I wished everyone else to have a good one in another Thanksgiving thread.

Just two of you.
Ask your mate this question.
If April showers bring May flowers what do May flowers bring?

Pilgrims! (Groan here.):rolleyes:

lamboguy
11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
i think i am going to go right to the PUMPKIN TIRAMISU

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 03:56 PM
hey greyfox, divorce court opens Friday, just an FYI :D

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Be safe, give thanks and then...party hard!:)

fast4522
11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Hoping everyone here has a pleasant, enjoyable holiday with loved ones. Hopefully if you need to venture outside of your home to be with other loved ones that you have a safe trip on the roads.

Shemp Howard
11-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm having Wild Turkey 101 with beer chasers.

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
I'll be over about 1 ish??? :D

happy thanksgiving!

ldiatone
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I hope you are all exactly where you want to be tomorrow...whether it's surrounded by loved ones or at the track or both!

I'm cooking for just the two of us--which is perfect :)

I'm making too much....
Oyster stew
Roasted Cornish game hens with butter and sage
Green bean and mushroom tart
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Mashed taters
Stuffing
Chicken and noodles (the thick kind to go over taters)
Cranberry and apple compote
Deviled eggs
Pumpkin tiramisu
"pumpkin tiramisu"! WOW, that is different. Now what liqueur would you be using for this? and GB and 'shroom tart?? tell me about this....
ya know i like the way you cook..

Zaf
11-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all PA ers :jump:

Z

boxcar
11-21-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm having Wild Turkey 101 with beer chasers.

Beers chasing after wild turkeys, eh? That should be fun to watch. :D

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Boxcar

Ocala Mike
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Shelby, when you open up a food truck, please let us know.

Have a happy turkey day, everyone!

Grits
11-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you all spend this day surrounded by family and friends at a dining room table laden with a fat, butter basted, beautifully browned bird, and all the dishes and desserts that go with him. The beverages and football you enjoy; they're always part of the day's traditions, too. Enjoy!!

Shelby, your dinner sounds incredible. I hope your husband loves every single mouthful. The two finest desserts I ever prepared for Thanksgiving, if I recall, were a New Orleans Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream, and a Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake. Those were the days! So much family, so much to eat.

Give thanks and celebrate. God's blessings to each of you and your loved ones. Pets included. They love a great holiday, too.

--Grits

Shelby
11-22-2012, 10:32 AM
"pumpkin tiramisu"! WOW, that is different. Now what liqueur would you be using for this? and GB and 'shroom tart?? tell me about this....
ya know i like the way you cook..

Well, it's funny you ask. My tiramisu recipe called for bourbon. I dug around in the liquor cabinet and, damn, no bourbon. So, I subbed brandy. I hope it works.

I can't wait to try the tart--it's a new recipe. You blanch the beans and saute the mushrooms in butter,thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Add some shallots and saute a little while longer. Meanwhile, lay out couple of puff pastry sheets and brush with a bit of whisked egg. Then, layer the beans down each pastry. Top with mushroom mixture and crumbled bleu cheese. Season to taste. Bake 15-20 @ 425.

ldiatone
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, it's funny you ask. My tiramisu recipe called for bourbon. I dug around in the liquor cabinet and, damn, no bourbon. So, I subbed brandy. I hope it works.

I can't wait to try the tart--it's a new recipe. You blanch the beans and saute the mushrooms in butter,thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Add some shallots and saute a little while longer. Meanwhile, lay out couple of puff pastry sheets and brush with a bit of whisked egg. Then, layer the beans down each pastry. Top with mushroom mixture and crumbled bleu cheese. Season to taste. Bake 15-20 @ 425.
Very nice! brandy always works!

Shelby
11-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Shelby, when you open up a food truck, please let us know.

Have a happy turkey day, everyone!

I've actually toyed with that idea....but then I always decide that it would take the fun out of cooking lol.

Shelby
11-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you all spend this day surrounded by family and friends at a dining room table laden with a fat, butter basted, beautifully browned bird, and all the dishes and desserts that go with him. The beverages and football you enjoy; they're always part of the day's traditions, too. Enjoy!!

Shelby, your dinner sounds incredible. I hope your husband loves every single mouthful. The two finest desserts I ever prepared for Thanksgiving, if I recall, were a New Orleans Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream, and a Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake. Those were the days! So much family, so much to eat.

Give thanks and celebrate. God's blessings to each of you and your loved ones. Pets included. They love a great holiday, too.

--Grits

I love the way you write, Grits :) And, I love bread pudding. Each time I try to make it, it's never very good. Always dry.

Shelby
11-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Shelby.

I wished everyone else to have a good one in another Thanksgiving thread.

Just two of you.
Ask your mate this question.
If April showers bring May flowers what do May flowers bring?

Pilgrims! (Groan here.):rolleyes:

OMG I missed this yesterday :lol::lol:

NJ Stinks
11-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! :cool:

(Good to hear from you again, Grits. :ThmbUp: )

Rookies
11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Over the many years (+40), the wife & I have had a healthy debate over which country has the most appropriate Thanksgiving.

My position has been that ours, held traditionally about a month back, is during the height of the harvest season and is most approriate with the leaves falling and the colours in splendour.

Hers is that this is typically Canadian, partying on with the work not finalized! :lol: And she's partial to when nature is rather barren- signifying completion of the year's harvest.:rolleyes:

I saw my first Yankee Thansgiving about 45 years ago and was always touched by the splendour, ceremony and insane, manic capitalism once everyone had recouped post Trytophan.

In the intervening years, I have rarely been in the U.S.A. for American Thanksgiving, save some recent forays to Vegas. How, I loved them so! But, I normally always squeezed the work day to watch the traditional doubleheader with buddies, playing QB1 and betting on anything that moved... and a touch of the grog...;)

Today, BOTH of us booked off work, so that we could see the parade for once and my daughter has invited a Canadian friend who is insanely excited about the traditional fare that we hold, PLUS a large decorated cake !

So, Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans from PA, and the rest of us who celebrate it. It is a time to consider all the great things that make life tick and give thanks that we are in places in the world that allow us to enjoy them!

Shelby
11-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Over the many years (+40), the wife & I have had a healthy debate over which country has the most appropriate Thanksgiving.

My position has been that ours, held traditionally about a month back, is during the height of the harvest season and is most approriate with the leaves falling and the colours in splendour.

Hers is that this is typically Canadian, partying on with the work not finalized! :lol: And she's partial to when nature is rather barren- signifying completion of the year's harvest.:rolleyes:

I saw my first Yankee Thansgiving about 45 years ago and was always touched by the splendour, ceremony and insane, manic capitalism once everyone had recouped post Trytophan.

In the intervening years, I have rarely been in the U.S.A. for American Thanksgiving, save some recent forays to Vegas. How, I loved them so! But, I normally always squeezed the work day to watch the traditional doubleheader with buddies, playing QB1 and betting on anything that moved... and a touch of the grog...;)

Today, BOTH of us booked off work, so that we could see the parade for once and my daughter has invited a Canadian friend who is insanely excited about the traditional fare that we hold, PLUS a large decorated cake !

So, Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans from PA, and the rest of us who celebrate it. It is a time to consider all the great things that make life tick and give thanks that we are in places in the world that allow us to enjoy them!

What a great post :)

Tom
11-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Dittos that, Shelby.
As always, we are thankful for our wonderful neighbors to the north.
Even if we fight with them the other 11 months of the year! ;):D

Of course, I have a drawer full of Labatts chilled down for tonight's football game.

Shelby
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
On a side note....I just searched for football games and found NONE on tv, but the Macy's Day parade is still on??? I thought that was in the morning....

Shemp Howard
11-22-2012, 04:18 PM
The Lions-TExans are in OT 31-31 on CBS.

Tom
11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Game of FOX now, Cowboys/Redskins,
Patriots and Jets tonight on CBS.

Life is good.

Shelby
11-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys! I thought I had won the Detroit game...damn.

statepierback
11-22-2012, 06:39 PM
To all posters past, present, and future. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

tbwinner
11-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all the PA gang (yes even Mosty and the other liberal zealots :) )

This Thanksgiving is a bit of a bummer for me because it's one, due to working in a few hours (no, thank god not in retail), I was not able to fly out to be with family. Made myself a mini-feast with Pineapple glazed pork, mashed potatoes, and 5 bean vegetarian chili.

And I just finished with dessert, where the picture speaks for itself:

Tom
11-23-2012, 10:41 AM
What a great day.
I had so much turkey, it wouldn't all fit in the oven!
I have to cook against today.

Great recipe -

In a baking pan, cut up carrots, shallots, brussels sprouts, squash, and red potatoes. Season and add some EVOO.

Place turkey thighs or breast on top of the veggies and bake at 450-500 degrees until turkey is 165 inside.

Full meal ready to go, just add the wine or beer - a nice dark beer or a good amber ale.

Add to that about 15 hours of Fringe marathon today, and turn off the phone.

mmmm mmmm mmmm.

ldiatone
11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
What a great day.
I had so much turkey, it wouldn't all fit in the oven!
I have to cook against today.

Great recipe -

In a baking pan, cut up carrots, shallots, brussels sprouts, squash, and red potatoes. Season and add some EVOO.

Place turkey thighs or breast on top of the veggies and bake at 450-500 degrees until turkey is 165 inside.

Full meal ready to go, just add the wine or beer - a nice dark beer or a good amber ale.

Add to that about 15 hours of Fringe marathon today, and turn off the phone.

mmmm mmmm mmmm.

you are so RR :rolleyes: YUMMO!

cj's dad
11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
watched my high school team win by by 21-14 in the oldest private school rivalry in the US.

Spent the rest of the day watching the NFL and then eating Chinese left overs. A good day was had by all