PDA

View Full Version : Laptops--Windows or Mac?

Shelby
11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
My Dell Inspiron 9300 bit the dust a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard--I hope anyway, since I was a fool and hadn't backed up for a couple of years and I've lost a LOT of important data. I'm going to try to take the hard drive out and stick it in an old Dell to see if I can recover it. From now on, Carbonite is my friend.

Anyway, I've been researching online to see what I want to get next. It will be my Christmas present.

I LOVE my Iphone, so I think I would like a Mac--except I don't like the price lol. Downside on Mac is that I don't think I would be able to get it to wirelessly connect to my Dell 968 AOI printer which I love and it works great.

I do quite a bit of record keeping on the computer for our farms and also quite a bit of business documents. The rest is internet surfing, picture storage and recipes. I'm not a gamer, so graphics isn't important to me.

My common sense tells me to get a new Dell with Windows 8. My inner geek really wants to get a Mac.

So, give me your opinions. Tell me what you like and don't like.

DeltaLover
11-21-2012, 01:52 PM

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Very wide selection list like for example:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/make/Dell/?category=Desktop&category=Laptop&category=Netbook

JustRalph
11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
The Mac is almost bullet proof but very expensive and expensive repair.

Software is an issue. Make sure what you need is available on the Mac.

If you buy a windows machine, instead of the Mac, you might have enough left over for an Ipad

RaceBookJoe
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
The Mac is almost bullet proof but very expensive and expensive repair.

Software is an issue. Make sure what you need is available on the Mac.

If you buy a windows machine, instead of the Mac, you might have enough left over for an Ipad

Agreed, with $1000 budget for example, i would buy an iPad and then the best laptop i could with the rest. I have 2 HP laptops, both bought for around $350 and no problems ever with them. One was bought in 2007, the other in 2010 or 2011.
ps: if you find a laptop cheap, then spend the leftover on a 2nd monitor.

menifee
11-21-2012, 09:34 PM
I was a Dell/HP guy for awhile, but when the Macbook Pro with Retina Display came out - I bought it. Best computer I have ever bought. No problems. Quiet as a mouse. Beautiful, beautiful screen for watching horse racing. When you get an HD feed it is amazing. Plus you can stream your laptop screen to any tv with Apple TV. Best computer I have ever purchased - hands down.

redshift1
11-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Take a look at the refurbished Mac's, same guarantee and lower price.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

This site covers everything about Mac's (see the forums)

http://www.macrumors.com

As JustRalph said a little pricey and the occasional software issue. My daughter
just graduated from UCSB and most there use MacBooks.

I have the Imac 27 great for spreadsheets. ( Excel & Word ).

JustRalph
11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
I was a Dell/HP guy for awhile, but when the Macbook Pro with Retina Display came out - I bought it. Best computer I have ever bought. No problems. Quiet as a mouse. Beautiful, beautiful screen for watching horse racing. When you get an HD feed it is amazing. Plus you can stream your laptop screen to any tv with Apple TV. Best computer I have ever purchased - hands down.

Streaming to the 65 inch big screen is a huge extra from my Ipad.

Android phones and tabs do it too, but the apple implementation is so damn easy .....beats Android by a mile.

DJofSD
11-22-2012, 02:28 PM
My Dell Inspiron 9300 bit the dust a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard--I hope anyway, since I was a fool and hadn't backed up for a couple of years and I've lost a LOT of important data. I'm going to try to take the hard drive out and stick it in an old Dell to see if I can recover it. From now on, Carbonite is my friend.

Anyway, I've been researching online to see what I want to get next. It will be my Christmas present.

I LOVE my Iphone, so I think I would like a Mac--except I don't like the price lol. Downside on Mac is that I don't think I would be able to get it to wirelessly connect to my Dell 968 AOI printer which I love and it works great.

I do quite a bit of record keeping on the computer for our farms and also quite a bit of business documents. The rest is internet surfing, picture storage and recipes. I'm not a gamer, so graphics isn't important to me.

My common sense tells me to get a new Dell with Windows 8. My inner geek really wants to get a Mac.

So, give me your opinions. Tell me what you like and don't like.
What are the most commonly used apps you run on Windows?

Are you prepared to either buy the same software but for Mac, or, find something totally new to do the same thing and have the requisite learning curve?

I recently bought a MBP (non retina) and I am learning Obj-C and Xcode. While I still do a vast majority of my daily PC oriented stuff on Windows, I could see a few machines going away and a Mac mini showing up in my office.

Shelby
11-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Take a look at the refurbished Mac's, same guarantee and lower price.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

This site covers everything about Mac's (see the forums)

http://www.macrumors.com

As JustRalph said a little pricey and the occasional software issue. My daughter
just graduated from UCSB and most there use MacBooks.

I have the Imac 27 great for spreadsheets. ( Excel & Word ).

Thanks!

I see on that Mac Rumors site that Apple is having black Friday sales....hmmmm....

It seems like most of you really like the Mac. I like the idea of doing a windows based computer AND getting and Ipad.....decisions decisions.

(I'm taking a small beer break from cooking ;) )

Shelby
11-22-2012, 02:50 PM
What are the most commonly used apps you run on Windows?

Are you prepared to either buy the same software but for Mac, or, find something totally new to do the same thing and have the requisite learning curve?

I recently bought a MBP (non retina) and I am learning Obj-C and Xcode. While I still do a vast majority of my daily PC oriented stuff on Windows, I could see a few machines going away and a Mac mini showing up in my office.

I definitely use the business software the most. Excel and word.

JustRalph
11-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I own a Mac mini and love it. The latest revision is awesome.

Trijack
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a MacProBook with VMware fusion. All the pc programs work just fine.
I run my tax program, that I do my tax business with. Plus all the horse programs that I have. I have windows 7 and XPE both installed.

Shelby
11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm typing on my new macbook pro :)

I just got it a couple of hours ago.

It is SO different from any computer I've ever had. And it's so FAST.

I hope I get the hang of it soon.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input.

goforgin
11-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Testing at 39k feet with IPad on Southwest Tampa to Chicago . Time 7:19 Eastern. Wonder if my reply gets through?

goforgin
11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Connection at 39 K feet is a bit slow. But is taking the boredom out of the flight. Tried Watch ESPN. The game came in for maybe 10 second, but then lose the connection.

Shelby
11-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Still it's awesome that you can use the computer from a plane!

goforgin
11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Wow! Can't get video. Flight attendant said not suppose to text. But, that works too. Not sure how they can monitor text when the dorr is open. FYI, using IPad, but guessing a laptop would work just as we'll.

Shelby
12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Well, I've had HUGE problems today with this Mac. Sigh. I'm sure it's due to my lack of knowledge, but please believe that I've taken Dell laptops apart..subbed parts...rebuilt...etc. So, its hard for me to admit that this Mac is kicking my ass.

What the hell is up with the "keychain"??? I hate it and I can't figure out how to disable it. Any help?

JustRalph
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I've had HUGE problems today with this Mac. Sigh. I'm sure it's due to my lack of knowledge, but please believe that I've taken Dell laptops apart..subbed parts...rebuilt...etc. So, its hard for me to admit that this Mac is kicking my ass.

What the hell is up with the "keychain"??? I hate it and I can't figure out how to disable it. Any help?

Food for thought

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,474245,474245

Look up "apple keychain" in wiki for the nuts and bolts. including file locations

> I know all my passwords and don't want Keychain making me stupid.

Run the Keychain Access app.

Select the login keychain from the panel on the left side.

Select the passwords category.

Click on any of the saved passwords in the panel on the right side.

Choose "Select All" from the Edit menu.

Press the delete key.

Quit the Keychain Access app.

Thereafter, when you get a password dialog, DO NOT check off the little checkbox to remember the password.

Shelby
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Food for thought

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,474245,474245

Look up "apple keychain" in wiki for the nuts and bolts. including file locations

> I know all my passwords and don't want Keychain making me stupid.

Run the Keychain Access app.

Select the login keychain from the panel on the left side.

Select the passwords category.

Click on any of the saved passwords in the panel on the right side.

Choose "Select All" from the Edit menu.

Press the delete key.

Quit the Keychain Access app.

Thereafter, when you get a password dialog, DO NOT check off the little checkbox to remember the password.

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner (homemade chicken and noodles and grilled cheese sandwiches) but first thing in the morning I'm doing this and if it works you will be my hero for life. I'm not kidding. Today was HELL trying to figure this crap out. Thank you SO much for taking time to help me.

Uncle Salty
12-02-2012, 06:16 AM
OS X is a bit of a learning curve if you've been using Windows up to now, but in time you will learn to love it. I made the switch about 10 years ago and cannot imagine ever using a pc again. Just keep at it and you'll get the hang of it...