PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I got a new APU AMD-6 computer and everything worked fine. I decided to put in a gaming video car on the second monitor and hook it up direct.

So now I have one monitor on the gaming card and the new monitor on the new computer. Same as before, except the new card which works great.

Problem is now the computer will not recognize the new monitor attached to it?

Ideas?

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Are you saying that you connected two computers to the same monitor at the same time?

If so, you need a K-V-M switch. (Or at least a V switch.) LOL - If not, then ignore all of the following.

KVM means:
Keyboard
Video
Mouse

Thus, you control 2 computers with one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor.

However, you can have a 2nd monitor for each computer if you want. I do it all the time. I think I have 3 KVMs in my house.

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
once again I have misstated my problem. I have one computer with two different video cards attached to its own monitor.

now if that is not as clear as mud let me know and I will try again.

Just thinking, it is worse than I thought...I have already had breakfast..:D

thanks for the reply

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
So, you are saying that you have one computer with 2 vid cards and the 2nd monitor is not working?

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM
the first monitor that runs off the APU unit is not working

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
You are absolutely correct. You are not explaining it well.

Please try to explain the problem clearly. What are WE trying to fix?

DJofSD
11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I got a new APU AMD-6 computer and everything worked fine. I decided to put in a gaming video car on the second monitor and hook it up direct.

So now I have one monitor on the gaming card and the new monitor on the new computer. Same as before, except the new card which works great.

Problem is now the computer will not recognize the new monitor attached to it?

Ideas?
How many video cards are installed?

HoofedInTheChest
11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
What video cards are you using?

Ensure that your motherboard is compatible with dual video cards. Check the manufacture’s website to see if your motherboard is compatible.

You may need to bridge the two cards.

Are the video cards powered? Did you connect the 4 pin molex to each card?

You must enable SLI Mode in your bios.

Most motherboards require that you use two video cards with the same chipset.

Even though you have SLI Mode enabled, you may need additional hardware to run two screens.

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
THE chip is a fusion (AMD APU -A6) and the processor and graphics card are the same. Monitor one is attached straight to the port. The chipset comes with Radeon 6530 built in.

The game card is a Radeon 6570 put into a slot and monitor two is attached straight to it.

I am going to check out the other ideas and get back.

Thank you everyone for your help.

HoofedInTheChest
11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Your using the same GPU chipset, so that isn't the problem.

Does the second card show up in device manager? Did you install the drivers for the second card?

I would check in your bios and see if the PCI slot is activated.

Have you activated SLI Mode in your bios? It sounds to me that it is a set-up problem in your bios.

In some cases Windows 7 has had problems recognizing two cards. I am not aware of Windows 8 having the same problem.

If all else fails i would contact tech support for your motherboard, they can remedy your problem pretty quickly.

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
THE SECOND CARD does not show up in the device manager and I tried going into the BIOS and find SLI but I couldn't find it.

However, I did find out that the expansion slots are marked "enabled".

Thanks

DJofSD
11-21-2012, 03:24 PM
If you still have the case cracked, try this for grins and giggles: swap the location of the video boards then see if it makes any difference. And, connect one at a time, each different monitor to the video board.

Another thing to try is go back to the original set up, i.e. remove the new board. Make sure it works as expected then move the original board to a new empty slot to see if everything is still working as expected. Then, take the oldest board out, put the new one in and boot it up to see what happens. Look at the Windows device manager for each different step and note the details.

After all of that, you should be able to say with a high degree of confidence that both slots on the MoBo are good, both video boards are good (along with the monitors you are driving with the respective boards) and Windows is able to configure and use each set up.

If, after all of that you find the individual pieces are good and work as expected then, as already suggested, it is something about having the two video boards running at the same time that has got to be the problem. In the old days, I'd say there is a problem with the IRQs but who knows what goes on now a days. The IRQs are still there but how Windows manages and assigns them is something I have not bothered to learn.

HUSKER55
11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
THANKS!

You are correct on one thing, the problem lies with both monitors needing to work at the same time.

Come Friday it goes to the shop.

thanks

vegasone
11-22-2012, 01:41 AM
In BIOS make sure that motherboard video is enabled. Some computers will allow you to specify which video is accessed first on boot and some will automatically shut of motherboard video automatically when a card is installed. Some(rare) may not even let you use both. BIOS settings is most likely your problem.

Try booting in safe mode and removing video drivers and rebooting. Check device manager and see if both monitors are listed. Try swapping monitors also and reboot.

Your new video card should have come with some software and you will need to tell the computer that it has 2 monitors hooked up also and the way you want them set up.Probably want to check this first.

senortout
11-22-2012, 01:54 AM
THE chip is a fusion (AMD APU -A6) and the processor and graphics card are the same. Monitor one is attached straight to the port. The chipset comes with Radeon 6530 built in.

The game card is a Radeon 6570 put into a slot and monitor two is attached straight to it.

I am going to check out the other ideas and get back.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have a fairly new desktop computer. I purchased about the best combination of features I could afford at the time. When I went to hook up my (2) monitors, I had to stop and think a bit. Here's my situation, maybe its yours as well. The computer I purchased has graphics built into the motherboard. So, you could plug one monitor in there and all would be fine. However, it being an upgraded model, there is also a DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD INSTALLED. That is important to understand for this reason........most DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARDS have two places to plug monitors into them. So, I plug both monitors into the better graphics setup. As I understand it, I am using only that DEDICATED CARD for my graphics. Maybe you have the same setup! Of course, I could be all wrong about your problem.