PDA

View Full Version : Allen West Has Plenty Of Time For Tea Parties

NJ Stinks
11-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Proving money can't buy you everything, West finally conceded in Florida this morning. This guy raised and spent over $17M in trying to get re-elected to Congress - actually outspending his victorious Democratic foe by a 4 to 1 margin.

I'd say goodbye and good riddance but you just have to believe the party of Michelle Bachman will find or construct some district in this country where West can win. In the meantime....:jump:

From the New York Daily News website:

Allen West finally concedes defeat in Florida congressional race two weeks after election

The outspoken Tea Party-backed Republican trailed his opponent by more than 2,000 votes after latest expanded recount.

By Kristen A. Lee (http://www.nydailynews.com/authors?author=Kristen A. Lee) / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 9:25 AM

Florida Rep. Allen West, the Tea Party-backed Republican whose fiery rhetoric made waves during his single term in Congress, conceded his seat to Democrat Patrick Murphy on Tuesday, acknowledging that contesting the election was unlikely to lead to his victory.

"For two weeks since Election Day, we have been working to ensure every vote is counted accurately and fairly. We have made progress towards that goal, thanks to the dedication of our supporters and their unrelenting efforts to protect the integrity of the democratic process. While many questions remain unanswered, today I am announcing that I will take no further action to contest the outcome of this election,” West said in a statement provided to WPTV in West Palm Beach (http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_st_lucie_county/allen-west-patrick-murphy-concession-statement-west-congratulates-murphy-will-not-challenge-vote).

“While a contest of the election results might have changed the vote totals, we do not have evidence that the outcome would change,” he added.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/allen-west-concedes-defeat-florida-race-article-1.1204978#ixzz2CmN35LCs

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
The result of this contest is pure racism in action. From the actual voting itself, to the racists who were doing the recount and making sure this black man is kept down...

Racist Democrats in action...the lot of them down there...

Florida is still considered "the south" is it not? No wonder a black man lost down there....

Disgusting!

Tom
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
It is time for the republicans to once again free the slaves!
We cannot tolerate this wanton racism from the left.

Swing ow, sweet chariot......

JustRalph
11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Alan West is going to make so much money on the speaking tour that he won't care.

They changed the boundaries of the district to go after him. And barely beat him.

They just elected the guy who wa arrested drunk in a bar while West was fighting in Iraq. You get the government you deserve

mostpost
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
The result of this contest is pure racism in action. From the actual voting itself, to the racists who were doing the recount and making sure this black man is kept down...

Racist Democrats in action...the lot of them down there...

Florida is still considered "the south" is it not? No wonder a black man lost down there....

Disgusting!
The results of that election had nothing to do with race and everything to do with stupidity. Allen West's stupidity. This is the clown who said that 78 to 81 of the democrats in the house were communists. He called Debbie Wasserman Schultz vile, disgusting, a coward and not a lady. And that was just the tip of Allen West iceberg. The voters of Florida's 18th district saw West for what he was and rejected his wacko views. Any who thinks this is a matter of racism is dumber than a box of rocks.

Interesting that Murphy's lead actually increased as a result of the recount.

FantasticDan
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
The results of that election had nothing to do with race and everything to do with stupidity. Allen West's stupidity. This is the clown who said that 78 to 81 of the democrats in the house were communists. He called Debbie Wasserman Schultz vile, disgusting, a coward and not a lady. And that was just the tip of Allen West iceberg.
Ah what the hell, here's some more iceberg.. :lol:

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/11/07/1155921/allen-west-16-moments/?mobile=nc

Tom
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
He called Debbie Wasserman Schultz vile, disgusting, a coward and not a lady.

He was kind to that lying pig.

Tom
11-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Those 16 reasons - every one of them is why I supported him.

mostpost
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM
They changed the boundaries of the district to go after him. And barely beat him.
You are even more out of touch than PA. Redistricting is done by state legislatures. In 2010 the Florida Senate had 28 Republican members and 12 Democratic members. The House was 81 to 39 in favor of the Republicans.
Republicans changed the boundaries of the district to protect West and he still lost.

lsbets
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
You are even more out of touch than PA. Redistricting is done by state legislatures. In 2010 the Florida Senate had 28 Republican members and 12 Democratic members. The House was 81 to 39 in favor of the Republicans.
Republicans changed the boundaries of the district to protect West and he still lost.

I know nothing about the district or how it was redrawn, but I do remember reading that tea party groups felt the district had been purposely redrawn to get rid of west, who the Florida party views as a loud mouth pain in the ass. Obviously I read that way before this election, so there could be some merit to what Ralph said. Usually there is some level of deals cut during redistricting to protect senior members of both parties. It's the establishment looking out for itself first and foremost. I could easily see the establishment in Florida wanting to get rid of west, can't you?

TrifectaMike
11-20-2012, 02:29 PM

True, 28 Republicans, but we know they are racist and couldn't stand the black man.

Mike (Dr Beav)

JustRalph
11-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Hey jerk, if you want to illustrate someone being out of touch, look in the mirror. As usual you are flying by the seat of your pants and totally wrong.

I never said "who" went after him. Btw, I knew it was his own party. Fire up your magical google machine. Only about a million pieces covering this over the last year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allen+west+redistricting&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=allen+west+redistricting&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=c9urUPbXAqTY2AWeo4GIDg&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b17c4480c36bb0a3&bpcl=38897761&biw=1024&bih=644

And this more recently
http://www.worldmag.com/2012/11/redistricting_rout

Oh, and btw, PA's post was obvious sarcasm and you once again don't get it.

mostpost
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I know nothing about the district or how it was redrawn, but I do remember reading that tea party groups felt the district had been purposely redrawn to get rid of west, who the Florida party views as a loud mouth pain in the ass. Obviously I read that way before this election, so there could be some merit to what Ralph said. Usually there is some level of deals cut during redistricting to protect senior members of both parties. It's the establishment looking out for itself first and foremost. I could easily see the establishment in Florida wanting to get rid of west, can't you?

That is a plausible explanation, and one which I had not considered. Yes I can see them wanting to get rid of West.

TJDave
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Those 16 reasons - every one of them is why I supported him.

And don't think democrats don't appreciate it. :lol:

mostpost
11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Hey jerk, if you want to illustrate someone being out of touch, look in the mirror. As usual you are flying by the seat of your pants and totally wrong.

I never said "who" went after him. Btw, I knew it was his own party. Fire up your magical google machine. Only about a million pieces covering this over the last year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allen+west+redistricting&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=allen+west+redistricting&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=c9urUPbXAqTY2AWeo4GIDg&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b17c4480c36bb0a3&bpcl=38897761&biw=1024&bih=644

And this more recently
http://www.worldmag.com/2012/11/redistricting_rout

Oh, and btw, PA's post was obvious sarcasm and you once again don't get it.
Right, you never said who went after West, but in a thread about the defeat of a Republican by a Democrat you should have. Because you were too lazy to write a few extra words, one could only assume that you thought Democrats redistricted West out of his seat. Sorry that I do not pay any attention to Tea Party talking points. :rolleyes:

Regarding PA's post, it is difficult to identify sarcasm in print-that's why we have this icon- :rolleyes: With the surfeit of charges of racism against liberals on this board, it is hardly surprising that I would take PA literally. You have not fully convinced me that I am wrong.

Robert Goren
11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
There can be thousand reason why an incumbent congressman gets beat, but is usually because he neglects his home district. That very well could been the case here. There are lot things that a congressman has to deal with involving his constituents. If he is handle that end 0f the job, the word gets outs pretty quickly. There is a lot more to being a congressman than just voting and committee meetings.

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
The results of that election had nothing to do with race and everything to do with stupidity. Allen West's stupidity. This is the clown who said that 78 to 81 of the democrats in the house were communists. He called Debbie Wasserman Schultz vile, disgusting, a coward and not a lady. And that was just the tip of Allen West iceberg. The voters of Florida's 18th district saw West for what he was and rejected his wacko views. Any who thinks this is a matter of racism is dumber than a box of rocks.

Interesting that Murphy's lead actually increased as a result of the recount.He can't be too much of a wacko. If he was, he would have lost by a lot more than 1000-2000 votes, wouldn't you say?

And yes, I firmly believe the result of this contest had EVERYTHING to do with race and racism. Racist white southern voters who refuse to vote for an intelligent, successful black man. A patriot. A man who fought and risked his life for his country.

In fact, if I were you, I'd probably be calling you a racist right about now, as you once labeled me.

Oh, wait...here you go...a beacon for you to follow...ready?

;)

Robert Goren
11-20-2012, 05:09 PM
He can't be too much of a wacko. If he was, he would have lost by a lot more than 1000-2000 votes, wouldn't you say?

And yes, I firmly believe the result of this contest had EVERYTHING to do with race and racism. Racist white southern voters who refuse to vote for an intelligent, successful black man. A patriot. A man who fought and risked his life for his country.

In fact, if I were you, I'd probably be calling you a racist right about now, as you once labeled me.

Oh, wait...here you go...a beacon for you to follow...ready?

;)Does that mean Obama lost the South because of race?

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Does that mean Obama lost the South because of race?No, he lost the South because his policies are awful.

Robert Goren
11-20-2012, 05:31 PM
No, he lost the South because his policies are awful.A majority of American voters didn't think so. It was views of people like West that rejected in a lot of places. The GOP lost 2 give-me senate seats(Missouri and Indiana) because the GOP candidate held way out views similar to West and they were white.

hcap
11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
He lost to Democratic rival Patrick Murphy. Or look at it this way the Dems swept much of the races on election day, partially Obamas' coattails and partially Romney Ryan rejection.

He did not lose in a vacuum. He was beaten.

PS: he is a despicable idiot and deserved it.
But hey, what do I know? :cool: :c

TJDave
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
He can't be too much of a wacko. If he was, he would have lost by a lot more than 1000-2000 votes, wouldn't you say?

There can be limits to the number of wackos?

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
PS: he is a despicable idiot and deserved it.Wait a minute. I think my racism detector just went off. Did you just call patriot war hero and intelligent black man Allen West a despicable idiot!

Good thing he isn't of Latin origin. Then I'd really have something... :faint:

hcap
11-20-2012, 06:51 PM
According to Dan's link West said some 16 idiotic and despicable statements.
If I remember correctly Tom said he loved them all. That at least proves they are good candidates to be genuinely idiotic. :)

lsbets
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM
That is a plausible explanation, and one which I had not considered. Yes I can see them wanting to get rid of West.

The way we've interacted the last few days, I'm feeling really good about my powerball tickets. Anything can happen. If I win, I'll send ya a cut (by FedEx :lol: )

Robert Goren
11-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Wait a minute. I think my racism detector just went off. Did you just call patriot war hero and intelligent black man Allen West a despicable idiot!

Good thing he isn't of Latin origin. Then I'd really have something... :faint:Being a war hero doesn't get you many votes this days. Medal of Honor winner Bob Kerry lost in Nebraska in the last election. He was white. The TV ads called him almost every name in the book but at least they didn't try to muddy his war record.
Although the republicans are not above doing it though when it suits their purpose. Just look at Georgia Senate race a few years back when they went after a man's patriotism who lost 3 limbs in combat.

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
I never said hcap was disparaging West's career in the military, now did I?

Robert Goren
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Having lost his last election and only serving one term in office makes West the likely GOP nominee for president in 2016 or 2020.:rolleyes:

Tom
11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
He would be a better president that the top, oh, say 50 million democrats.
hcap....where do you send your laundry - those whites are so bright.

TJDave
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Then he should run as a democrat. Think of all those black votes. ;)

hcap
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
hcap....where do you send your laundry - those whites are so bright.
For 4 years you have been hanging your dirty laundry out here bitchin' about Obama. All I said was he was a despicable idiot based on what little I know of him but mainly reading those 16 talking points that Dan linked to.

2 words against West vs at least 20,000 vitriolic posts against the pres.

Fair and balanced?

JustRalph
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Being a war hero doesn't get you many votes this days. Medal of Honor winner Bob Kerry lost in Nebraska in the last election. He was white. The TV ads called him almost every name in the book but at least they didn't try to muddy his war record.
Although the republicans are not above doing it though when it suits their purpose. Just look at Georgia Senate race a few years back when they went after a man's patriotism who lost 3 limbs in combat.

That's what happens when you jump out of a helicopter and drop your grenades

Tom
11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Fair and balanced?

I am only trying to admit defeat and adopt the ways of the victorious democrat party - if you say anything bad about someone, you are a racist. Therefore, I now agree to live by your rules. Does this not please you, Master?

Long live the left!
Long live the left!
Long live the left!

hcap
12-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Famous last words.

“And always remember, Abraham Lincoln only served one term in Congress, too,” [Allen]West said toward the end of the interview"

Remember that guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

fast4522
12-02-2012, 07:10 AM
I think Representative West's comments about how many communists there were in the Congress may have been more polarizing, although I agree with him on the comment, it made a lot of people feel ugly for obvious reasons. That and redistricting combined made the hill too steep a climb that election cycle. I do think he will return because his high profile may be favorable in another election cycle.

hcap
12-02-2012, 07:17 AM
I think Representative West's comments about how many communists there were in the Congress may have been more polarizing, although I agree with him on the comment, it made a lot of people feel ugly for obvious reasons. That and redistricting combined made the hill too steep a climb that election cycle. I do think he will return because his high profile may be favorable in another election cycle.You are frankly way out there
So you think there are 80 "commies" in congress? What about his other 15 idiotic statements pointed out earlier?

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/11/07/1155921/allen-west-16-moments/?mobile=nc

How about this gem? Mr Filth?
6. Social Security enslaves the American people: Appearing on Fox News, West criticized Social Security disability benefits. “Once again we are creating the sense of economic dependence, which to me is a form of modern, 21st century slavery.”

Rookies
12-02-2012, 09:13 AM
6. Social Security enslaves the American people: Appearing on Fox News, West criticized (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/08/512579/allen-west-social-security-benefits-are-a-form-of-modern-21st-century-slavery/) Social Security disability benefits. “Once again we are creating the sense of economic dependence, which to me is a form of modern, 21st century slavery.”

During this fools' service, did he fall out of a helicopter onto his head? :rolleyes: Defend to the death the financial interests of 1%ers and go after THE most vulnerable parts of society.

Now, that is the definition of "fair & balanced".

Tom
12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
We would be far better off without SS.

hcap
12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
We would be far better off without SS.
Typical Tom. What about those 80 commies? I know the TPers mentality ( or lack thereof) had their mental tongues wagging on that one.

Tom
12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Try to follow along.

badcompany
12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I've never seen such whiny winners. You won. Enjoy it. Stop bitching:bang:

hcap
12-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I've never seen such whiny winners. You won. Enjoy it. Stop bitching:bang:Both of you follow this. You gentlemen bitch 24/7/365. Constantly. Get used to hearing the winners of an election you still don't get, bitch right back at you enjoying your whining about how mean we are to all you poor little defenseless innocents. :lol:

fast4522
12-02-2012, 12:08 PM
You are the one that does not get it, just remember the morphine is on the house. My bet is you will not be posting by the time this President leaves office so why do you care who is stuck paying off the 20 trillion.

hcap
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
You are the one that does not get it, just remember the morphine is on the house. My bet is you will not be posting by the time this President leaves office so why do you care who is stuck paying off the 20 trillion.If I were you, I would not put much faith in your own prognostications. For a number of years you kept telling us the American people will rise up and rebel against the Socialist filth in the White House. And then we will see how much they hate Obama and his policies.

Guess what?

Rookies
12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
If I were you, I would not put much faith in your own prognostications. For a number of years you kept telling us the American people will rise up and rebel against the Socialist filth in the White House. And then we will see how much they hate Obama and his policies.

Guess what?

Like a blind squirrel, he could have been correct once. But, I don't recall it.

thaskalos
12-02-2012, 01:42 PM
If I were you, I would not put much faith in your own prognostications. For a number of years you kept telling us the American people will rise up and rebel against the Socialist filth in the White House. And then we will see how much they hate Obama and his policies.

Guess what?

If he makes these prognastications for a few more years...he is liable to get one right eventually.

Can you imagine how unbearable he'll be then?

Look at how much talking he is doing now...when all he has been is WRONG.

fast4522
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Have faith in this, anything the Government can give you the Government can also take away from you. When the shit hits the fan, it will be because of you the cuts will go deeper.

thaskalos
12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Have faith in this, anything the Government can give you the Government can also take away from you. When the shit hits the fan, it will be because of you the cuts will go deeper.

I don't know how it could be because of me, friend...

Up until now, all I have been doing is GIVING to the government...without asking for anything in return.

fast4522
12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I did not direct my statement to you Thaskalos, it was aimed at the collective of complete fools who feel this country can continue to spend at this rate and nothing bad will happen. What I will be correct about is "in you lifetime" this will affect you in a negative way, as will it effect us all. And the cuts that you will see in your lifetime will be larger than they had to be.

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2012, 04:07 PM
go after THE most vulnerable parts of society.That's not it, friend (in the words of thaskalos).

You see, give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

That's more like what Mr. West is getting at there, IMO.

He's not going after the most vulnerable. He's telling a hard truth about what the entitlement society/mentality has done. It has gone WELL BEYOND taking care of those who can't take care of themselves, which is ALL it should be...

hcap
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
That's not it, friend (in the words of thaskalos).

You see, give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

He's not going after the most vulnerable. He's telling a hard truth about what the entitlement society/mentality has done. It has gone WELL BEYOND taking care of those who can't take care of themselves, which is ALL it should be...Social Security is a valid entitlement. Most entitlements are just that. What people are entitled to. Not gifts from the government to slackers. And just as important they are not the cause of deficits and debt any more than a road or bridge is.

You might want to join Mr West as his lawyer. You make him sound almost rational. Then again getting rid of SS is only 1 of the 16 stupid statements he made in ONE article.

Or maybe Mr West can write Mittens next political talking points when both recover and Mittens runs again in 2040. :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2012, 04:42 PM
When people are relying SOLELY on SS as their only means come retirement, then something is VERY wrong.

But, that's the entitlement mentality for you...revel in it...watch it grow America...this is what you've fully bought into.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rookies
12-02-2012, 04:56 PM
That's not it, friend (in the words of thaskalos).

He's not going after the most vulnerable. He's telling a hard truth about what the entitlement society/mentality has done. It has gone WELL BEYOND taking care of those who can't take care of themselves, which is ALL it should be...

PA: Yeah, I've seen that old chestnut for 40 plus years. There is applicability among certain parts of the populace.

My son happens to work 5 days a week at 4 different jobs/ work arangements. This does not mean, under any circumstances, that he should not collect a Disability Pension (and princely sum it is:rolleyes: ) as he will never, ever be self sustaining.

If West wanted to wax philosophical about SS, its mandates, conditions and requirements as well as whether/ what level income barriers take/should place- THAT is different.

Without these qualifications and the specific mention of 'Disability' in close conjunction with the progarm, I stand by my original position. It is an all out attack on the most vulnerable- despicable in any civilized society.

Tom
12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Social Security is a valid entitlement.

ONLY because we put into it. Far too much into it.
We would most all be better using that money ourselves to provide for ourselves. Government has absolutely NO business in this area.

It is an all out attack on the most vulnerable- despicable in any civilized society.

That is BS. Sorry, but it you are dead wrong.

JustRalph
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Social Security is the worlds biggest Ponzi scheme.

end of story.

And it does enslave people. Just like Welfare and Food Stamps. A permanent entitlement class that cannot think for itself or escape the grasp of the government.

Tom
12-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Obama's Zombie Army is mustering.
No money, no brains, no problem.

hcap
12-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Obama's Zombie Army is mustering.
No money, no brains, no problem.Looks like a State Congressional meeting at some Red State waiting for a federal handout.

Either that or like a roadside restaurant I stopped by in Alabama in '68.

hcap
12-02-2012, 08:00 PM

end of story.

And it does enslave people. Just like Welfare and Food Stamps. A permanent entitlement class that cannot think for itself or escape the grasp of the government.Not that easy to say end of story. A bit of the Makers/Takers Social Darwinism disguised as reasonable politics.

woodtoo
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Looks like a State Congressional meeting at some Red State waiting for a federal handout.

Either that or like a roadside restaurant I stopped by in Alabama in '68.

You suck at humor.

hcap
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Woo Hoo!

NJ Stinks
12-02-2012, 09:10 PM

end of story.

And it does enslave people. Just like Welfare and Food Stamps. A permanent entitlement class that cannot think for itself or escape the grasp of the government.

Ralph, you write with such conviction here in Off Topic - General! :cool:

Yet I disagree with just about everything you write! :ThmbDown:

JustRalph
12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Ralph, you write with such conviction here in Off Topic - General! :cool:

Yet I disagree with just about everything you write! :ThmbDown:

I'm trying to decide if that was a backhanded compliment or not?

We can agree to....................you know the rest..........

NJ Stinks
12-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm trying to decide if that was a backhanded compliment or not?

We can agree to....................you know the rest..........

No disrespect intended, Ralph. It's more like we went to different schools together. If that makes any sense.... :confused:

badcompany
12-03-2012, 12:28 AM
No disrespect intended, Ralph. It's more like we went to different schools together. If that makes any sense.... :confused:

Ironically, it's one of the few things you've said that does make sense.:lol:

JustRalph
12-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Great line. I get it :ThmbUp:

hcap
12-03-2012, 05:29 AM

end of story.

And it does enslave people. Just like Welfare and Food Stamps. A permanent entitlement class that cannot think for itself or escape the grasp of the government.Many here are on SS. And some are disabled like myself.

I think for myself thank you and am not "enslaved" And until you drop this sort of Maker/Taker oversimplification of the human social condition, you are not going to win many more Presidential elections because the vast majiority of Americans don't buy it. I read Ayn Rand in my teens and early twenties. As did many of us. Some of us have moved on.

fast4522
12-03-2012, 05:58 AM

end of story.

Only by way of it being drained by the general fund, politicians have IOU's to the hilt raiding money they have no business touching because anything constructive is always over a greater year plan than any one of them will exist in office. First one has to be objective and understand what 20 trillion really means and our national debt, it does not matter what political party your from. If you can not be honest about this then your in the filthy company of people who have paper ass holes. I have never said social security was bad or statements knocking it, because I feel it is a social contract with our people and perhaps one of the strongest that any professional soldier of these United States has for himself or those that he leaves behind to venture into harms way for our country.

Robert Goren
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Many here are on SS. And some are disabled like myself.

I think for myself thank you and am not "enslaved" And until you drop this sort of Maker/Taker oversimplification of the human social condition, you are not going to win many more Presidential elections because the vast majiority of Americans don't buy it. I read Ayn Rand in my teens and early twenties. As did many of us. Some of us have moved on.Even Ayn Rand moved on in her later years, signing up for both SS and Medicare.

badcompany
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Many here are on SS. And some are disabled like myself.

I think for myself thank you and am not "enslaved" And until you drop this sort of Maker/Taker oversimplification of the human social condition, you are not going to win many more Presidential elections because the vast majiority of Americans don't buy it. I read Ayn Rand in my teens and early twenties. As did many of us. Some of us have moved on.

It doesn't matter what you think. This is the endgame of the big government welfare state model. Obama's win just delays the inevitable. France is a classic example of the state strangling the life out of the private sector via taxation and regulation, and it's coming to a town near you.

Feel free to attack the source. Oh wait, it's the NY Times:lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/world/europe/young-and-educated-in-france-find-employment-elusive.html?_r=0

Young, Educated and Jobless in France

LILLE, France — Justine Forriez wakes up early to go onto the computer to look for a job. She calls university friends and contacts; she goes to the unemployment office every week, though mostly for the companionship, and has taken a course in job hunting. She has met with 10 different recruiters since May and sent out 200 résumés.

Justine Forriez, 23, holds a master’s degree in health administration. But after an apprenticeship, she is living on state aid and working at off-the-books jobs.

Ms. Forriez is not poor or disadvantaged, and she holds a master’s degree in health administration. But after a two-year apprenticeship, she is living on state aid and working at off-the-books jobs like baby-sitting and tending bar. She cares for a dog for $6.50 a day. She paints watercolors in her spare time to keep herself from going crazy.

Robert Goren
12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe Justine Forriez just needs a class in interviewing skills. It is amazing how many people have great resumes but interview badly. Anybody who has ever done any hiring has run across these job seekers.

badcompany
12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Maybe Justine Forriez just needs a class in interviewing skills. It is amazing how many people have great resumes but interview badly. Anybody who has ever done any hiring has run across these job seekers.

Yeah, that the problem with Europe, poor interviewing skills.:lol:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/Screen20Shot202012-10-0120at2011_34_5320PM.png

cj's dad
12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
There can be thousand reason why an incumbent congressman gets beat, but is usually because he neglects his home district. That very well could been the case here. There are lot things that a congressman has to deal with involving his constituents. If he is handle that end 0f the job, the word gets outs pretty quickly. There is a lot more to being a congressman than just voting and committee meetings.

Why is it that Reps are almost always referred to as Congressmen or women ? They are but one part of Congress, yet I have never heard of a U.S Senator referred to as Congressman although they are in fact no more or less a congressional member than a member of the House of Representatives.

Must be the 6 year vs. 2 year term.

JustRalph
12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Hcap, ask anybody with any sense when they are 20, if they would like to make a 12 % higher salary for their entire life, or get social security for on average 8 yrs after they die?

Anybody who would choose SS is a fool

thaskalos
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Hcap, ask anybody with any sense when they are 20, if they would like to make a 12 % higher salary for their entire life, or get social security for on average 8 yrs after they die?

Anybody who would choose SS is a fool

You are right...but who would give you the option of keeping your money instead of having it taken from you for social security? If the workers stopped contributing to SS today...who would support the retirees who are already receiving benefits?

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Hence the Ponzi reference.

thaskalos
12-03-2012, 08:56 PM

I know...but why even bring up the option of not contributing to SS, if it is a total impossibility?

JustRalph
12-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Exactly :ThmbUp:

I know...but why even bring up the option of not contributing to SS, if it is a total impossibility?

It could be done. Lots of ways to wean us away from it have been discussed before. We don't have the good sense to do it.

Roosevelt is the greatest crook of all time. He ripped off future generations for trillions. He makes Bernie Madoff look like a subway jumper.
Closest thing we've ever had to a dictator

mostpost
12-03-2012, 11:10 PM

end of story.

Any time I hear someone refer to Social Security as a Ponzi scheme, I know one thing for certain. He does not know what a Ponzi scheme is and he doesn't know how Social Security works.

Being unable to think real well, you are going to tell me that both a Ponzi scheme and Social Security rely on donations from later investors to pay original investors. True only in the most basic way. A Ponzi scheme only lasts as long as new investors can be found. Even then the perpetrator is always skimming off the top. And from the middle and ultimately from the bottom. In order for their to be a Ponzi scheme there must be intent to defraud.

Social Security is a continuous pipeline. Money comes in from workers and goes out to retirees. There are always going to be workers contributing so there will always be money coming in.

The problem we are facing now is that there was a bubble in the birth rate known as the baby boomers. Another problem is that relative wages have decreased, particularly over the last ten years.

mostpost
12-03-2012, 11:17 PM

end of story.

Social Security is not an entitlement. Entitlement is a word used by conservatives to demonize people who receive Social Security. Social Security is an earned benefit. I paid 6.2 of every dollar I earned at several jobs so that I could receive retirement benefits. My employers also contributed 6.2%.

Just the opposite of enslaving me, Social Security has freed me up to live a comfortable retirement. And I did not have to worry about the vagaries of the stock market or the enticement of Ponzi schemes.

mostpost
12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Exactly :ThmbUp:

It could be done. Lots of ways to wean us away from it have been discussed before. We don't have the good sense to do it.

Roosevelt is the greatest crook of all time. He ripped off future generations for trillions. He makes Bernie Madoff look like a subway jumper.
Closest thing we've ever had to a dictator

Just how did Roosevelt accomplish this? Are you implying that FDR siphoned money out of the SS fund into his personal account? Even you can't be that delusional. Administrative costs of Social Security are around 3%. That is way less than insurance companies' overhead. It is less than your broker charges you for a trade.

The closest thing we ever had to a dictator, gave me the freedom to enjoy a comfortable retirement; gave me the freedom to equitably negotiate my salary.

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
... In order for their to be a Ponzi scheme there must be intent to defraud.

Well... I suppose we'll find out some day for sure, but considering most people agree that it won't support itself in perpetuity, there is an element of the scheme. Now, who stands to benefit? That's really the element that you allude to when you speak of the fraud - who is doing the skimming - who is benefitting from allowing it to remain operating as such? Well, anyone looking for a vote fits that criteria I suppose.

We could fix SS in all likelihood, but we won't, because whoever dares to be realistic about how to do it will be run out of office... by whoever on the other side screams that he is going to take away the SS and then promising that he won't change a thing.

So... if we go back to your post in which you are indignant about how stupid and insane someone would have to be to make the comparison... and realize that it is in all likelihood unsustainable, there may be money coming in perpetuity (should be), but it can't meet the obligations promised, and those that are complicit in allowing this to happen are doing so in exchange for votes, which result in money and power... you know, you actually make a decent case for why it isn't all that different from a Ponzi scheme.

JustRalph
12-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Social Security is not an entitlement. Entitlement is a word used by conservatives to demonize people who receive Social Security. Social Security is an earned benefit. I paid 6.2 of every dollar I earned at several jobs so that I could receive retirement benefits. My employers also contributed 6.2%.

Just the opposite of enslaving me, Social Security has freed me up to live a comfortable retirement. And I did not have to worry about the vagaries of the stock market or the enticement of Ponzi schemes.

And if you woud have put your money in the S&P 500 for the last fifty years you woud have received 9.5% on avg per year. Even with the worst possible tax rates and such you would have made around 2% a year for fifty years.

How much will you get back from SS over your lifetime?

A couple with avg life expectancy who paid in for 40 yrs gets about 1.2% return. If widowed or single, less.

Btw, minorities receive only about 88 cents back on every dollar in SS.
The next time you talk to a fellow retired USPS buddy who is a minority, give him a big wet kiss! Your comfort is at his expense.

It's your money and you get no say over it. That is criminal

JustRalph
12-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Just how did Roosevelt accomplish this? Are you implying that FDR siphoned money out of the SS fund into his personal account? Even you can't be that delusional. Administrative costs of Social Security are around 3%. That is way less than insurance companies' overhead. It is less than your broker charges you for a trade.

The closest thing we ever had to a dictator, gave me the freedom to enjoy a comfortable retirement; gave me the freedom to equitably negotiate my salary.

He sold the country a Ponzi scheme no different than Bernie Madoff.
One thing about people using a broker. It's their money and they choose what to do with it. You prefer to be a sheep. Empty your pockets and hope they give you some back. Or that you live long enough to cash in.

hcap
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
"Allen West Spent $18 Million On Failed Campaign In 2012 Election"

Considering he was defeated by a newcomer Democrat who spent 1/2 of that, I would say the Dem, Patrick Murphy , got his monies worth.