PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Breeders Cup.

mlbelang
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Who was there? I just cant help but reflect back on one of the most memorable days (negative memories) of racing in my entire life.

A horse broke down in the first race I think. And then later in the day, one of the main features with Go For Wand put a gut wrenching feeling in my stomach I can still feel today.

For those that were at Belmont Park that day, have you ever heard a racing crowd of 50,000+ go as silent as it did after this race? I mean you could hear a pin drop. Truly a sad day.

edit: I cant seem to imbed the video. But this is a truly sad video, extremely emotional. Watch at your own risk

2mcFLjp3Zdo

Does anyone have a story of something positive that day? A big score? Something that lightened the mood a bit?

mlbelang
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I mean the heart of this horse.... to finish the race after that. This video brings tears.

And silence. When I say silence I mean this crowd was silent

please watch the video, so we can all be reminded by the dangers and reality of this great sport. Not just for the jockeys, but for our true heros, the thoroughbreds.

horses4courses
11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm glad to not have to watch the video of that race again.
Remember it like it was yesterday, but I wasn't at the track.

I had my biggest bet for some time on that race.
A $200 quinella (Nevada house rules) on Bayakoa/Go For Wand.

The bet would only pay in the region of $4.40 to $4.80 - but it was a slam dunk.
Knew at the quarter pole that it couldn't lose.....unless......and it happened.

Haven't felt that bad having watched a race ever - and don't want to again.
Losing the bet hardly entered my mind, either.
I just felt pain for a courageous filly.

mlbelang
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly I stumbled across this video today and I could barely watch it.

For those of us that were there, there is no reason to watch it, as it will likely ruin your day.

Just a little something for those that are younger or weren't into racing then.

Just like to keep in mind our fallen heros, their efforts at our entertainment expense does not go forgotten. Ruffian, Go For Wand, and many more; you guys and gals will always be remembered.

The public should and needs to know the bottom line isn't the only thing on a horseplayers mind.

jorcus99
11-19-2012, 02:17 PM
It's been over 20 years since I have seen it, and I am not going to watch it ever again if I can help it.

JimG
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
The original is forever remembered in my mind. Have no interest in ever watching it again.

Jim

Overlay
11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I was at Keeneland that day, watching a simulcast of the races with a group of people from Blue Grass Army Depot in Richmond, Kentucky (south of Lexington), where I was assigned at the time. I was thinking that an outing like that in a setting like Keeneland would be a great way to get people who were not already racing fans at least hooked on the sport, if not on handicapping. Unfortunately, the running of the races did not produce the desired effect.

Red Knave
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
On another note, the background music is, of course, Johnny Cash. The interesting thing to me is that the tune is a NIN (Nine Inch Nails) song called Hurt. Trent Reznor, the writer (and who IS NIN) said the Cash cover was a great honor but at the same time it felt like someone kissing his girlfriend.

Haunting and unforgettable.

RIP to both.

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I believe I was in college and was watching in my dorm room...I have no need or desire to watch the race again. Any fan of racing bears witness to horses breaking down on an all too regular basis....in ways even more horrifying than GFW...

Red Knave
11-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Full disclosure :

I had a HUGE lump in my throat from watching that and that song forever will remind me of that race.

:(

Tom
11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
We were at a friend's house, the beer was flowing, we had driven to an OTB to pace our bets that morning and were just having a party - we all had bet on GFW and were rooting and dancing and cheering in the living room when it happened. The house fell into complete silence. Half the guys left after that.

I don't need to ever see it again. Just hearing her name today brings back a chill.

There were a couple of years that the BC was a bloodbath in terms of injury.

Paseana
11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I watched the Cup from home that year. I was a HUGE fan of Bayakoa, and I wanted her to win that 2nd Distaff so badly. But that horrid breakdown of Go For Wand had such a profound impact on me......I actually lost a lot of interest in the game for a couple of years afterward. I still followed everything, but the passion took a while to return. I would probably have to be paid money to watch that video, and I'm not sure even that would do it.

The memory of Ron McAnally on camera after the race is indelibly implanted in my head. He has always been pretty reserved and not one to display much emotion, but he could barely speak. I remember him saying, with a choked-up voice, "we wanted to win it, but not like this.....oh please not like this".

Truly heartbreaking.......

horses4courses
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
If you have seen it before, I have no idea why someone would watch it again.

Valuist
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I remember catching the exacta in the Mile with Itsallgreektome at a big price in the 2nd slot, and the tri in the Juvenile with heavy chalk Fly So Free winning and a couple of 30-1 shots running 2nd and 3rd.

Prytanis
11-19-2012, 11:02 PM
She broke down right in front of me. And i have never watched the video and i'm not watching it now!

affirmedny
11-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I was on the apron and it happened right in front of me. I did not have as good a view as those watching on TV. I had no idea it was as bad as it was until seeing it on the news and reading about it the next day in those pre internet and cell phone days. I am of the unpopular opinion that she had never met an opponent as good as Bayakoa and she tried so hard that she pushed her body past its limits when she couldn't put her away. I always felt the same way about Ruffian.

burnsy
11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
She broke down right in front of me. And i have never watched the video and i'm not watching it now!
Me too. Forget about "pin drop" i saw women crying and people leave. I think the other horse that died was Mr. Nickerson and Antley broke his collar bone in that deal. It was a very rough day for the Breeders Cup and the worst thing about horse racing. I don't just love the racing, the animals are something i really love. But that is what these horses are bred to do (run) and in life "tommorrow" is never a sure bet.....something people kind of take for granted until they see something like that. Unfortunately its part of the game and part of life...thats why we don't live forever.

tophorse1145
11-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I also watched this and it was very interesting.

thespaah
11-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Who was there? I just cant help but reflect back on one of the most memorable days (negative memories) of racing in my entire life.

A horse broke down in the first race I think. And then later in the day, one of the main features with Go For Wand put a gut wrenching feeling in my stomach I can still feel today.

For those that were at Belmont Park that day, have you ever heard a racing crowd of 50,000+ go as silent as it did after this race? I mean you could hear a pin drop. Truly a sad day.

edit: I cant seem to imbed the video. But this is a truly sad video, extremely emotional. Watch at your own risk

2mcFLjp3Zdo

Does anyone have a story of something positive that day? A big score? Something that lightened the mood a bit?
Yep....It was a rough day. I actually hit the Distaff exacta though I felt like just keeping the ticket. I cashed it though.
I saw women in the grandstand crying.

thespaah
11-21-2012, 01:33 AM
I was probably sitting in the same part of the Grandstand as you.
The incident, which I care never to see again, happened as they passed us.

mlbelang
11-23-2012, 10:55 AM
The Go For Wand Grade 2 stakes is the 9th at Aqueduct today.

I dont have much interest in that race but assuming Ramon Dominguez gets his horse bet even further down than the morning line, I'll go with :1: Willet.

Jasonm921
11-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Horrible day for the sport. That race was destined to be remembered for years to come. Unfortunately, a full out battle of top notch fillies gave way to mortality.