PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Wagers

OverlayHunter
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
When balancing the constantly moving odds against the possibility of being locked out of a wager by waiting too long, what is considered the ideal MTP to set for a conditional wager?

Is one standard sufficient or do the odds selected for the conditional wager matter?

lamboguy
11-17-2012, 06:53 PM
conditional wagering was great, today its a waste of time

horses4courses
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM
It's main use for me is when I can't watch a race live, which I try to avoid.
On a work day, though, it comes in handy if I have a horse I like.
Whatever the minimum odds acceptable for me on that play (win only) are those I input.
Without fail, I list zero minutes to post for the lock out time.
No other time setting makes sense.

davew
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
for smaller markets, 60%+ of money shows up after the gates are opened -

not that it was past posted, but just takes that long to get collected at wagering sites and transmitted to host track

but usually first couple favorites drop and everyone else goes up

even setting at 0 mtp, is that what the track clock says, or starting to load, or all in, or .....??

raybo
11-18-2012, 02:01 AM
I would say anytime after 0 MTP is fine. You can usually tell which horses will drop lower after the gate, so just assume they will and you'll probably be ok. I am not a proponent of conditional wagering, because you can't use your own judgement about which horses are likely to drop after the gate.

PICSIX
11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
At one time, Dave Schwartz recommended 2 MTP. Don't know if that is still the case?

raybo
11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
At one time, Dave Schwartz recommended 2 MTP. Don't know if that is still the case?

I would imagine, if he ever did say that, that he has since changed it to around 0 MTP, maybe less than 1 MTP. The rankings of the odds at 2 MTP might be similar to the off odds rankings, but the odds themselves are totally different than what the off odds are, at least for the lower portion of the odds, where most players live.