PDA

View Full Version : Maryland & Rutgers to the big10 ?

ElKabong
11-17-2012, 05:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say

The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

If Maryland goes to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for an potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.

cj
11-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Tough to imagine MD coughing up 50 million to do this.

cj's dad
11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I forgot that Maryland was not on the Atlantic Coast,

elysiantraveller
11-17-2012, 09:32 PM
BOO! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

cj
11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
It mentions MD is one of the original 8 of the ACC. I'm going to try to guess without looking them up:

Maryland, Virginia, Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke.

JustRalph
11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
I would be great for this board........... :lol:

Ohio State and Maryland in Football and Basketball? Those would be great games. :ThmbUp:

Rutgers
11-17-2012, 11:27 PM
From the article linked in the original post:

“Both Maryland and Rutgers are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities), something vital to Big Ten presidents.”

Vital?…Then how did Nebraska get in? :rolleyes:

cj's dad
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
U of Md. to announce at a press conference that they are moving to the Big 14.

What a crock.

rastajenk
11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
It gets a :ThmbDown: from this Big10/11/12/whatever supporter.

elysiantraveller
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
It gets a :ThmbDown: from this Big10/11/12/whatever supporter.

Yup! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

... and f*** Ohio too! ;)

Striker
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Tough to imagine MD coughing up 50 million to do this.
How do they afford this considering they cut 7 sports in July because of a 4 million deficit in the athletic budget? Just wait for the Maryland-Illinois or Maryland-Indiana matchups in football, record ratings await.

JustRalph
11-19-2012, 05:30 PM
How do they afford this considering they cut 7 sports in July because of a 4 million deficit in the athletic budget? Just wait for the Maryland-Illinois or Maryland-Indiana matchups in football, record ratings await.

Correct me if I am wrong.............but doesn't the visiting team get a cut of the gate when a team plays a football game?

If they play Michigan and Ohio State, Nebraska and Penn State, how does that up the ante compared to who they are playing now?

Ohio State and Michigan put a 105,000 in the Stadium every week they play a home game. I seem to remember Penn State doing the same, pre scandal. Would this make up the difference in the long run?

Zydeco
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
the Big Ten tv contract is up for renewal in2015. The ACC contract with ESPN is until 2027. Also, the Big Ten Network is very lucrative. By joining the Big Ten (11), (12) soon to be (14) Maryland will be able to get those cut sports back into action. It's all about the money and the potential for eyeballs watching the games.

Striker
11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong.............but doesn't the visiting team get a cut of the gate when a team plays a football game?

If they play Michigan and Ohio State, Nebraska and Penn State, how does that up the ante compared to who they are playing now?

Ohio State and Michigan put a 105,000 in the Stadium every week they play a home game. I seem to remember Penn State doing the same, pre scandal. Would this make up the difference in the long run?
Pretty sure but not 100%, that is just non-conference games that the away teams get a cut like the big payout this year by Nebraska to Ark State.

ElKabong
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Point 1-
road attendance cut. Not sure of current b10 procedure, but the old SWC had a 10% ticket standby for visitors. Sell them, or give them back the week of the game. If you sold your road allotment you could take 15% of the non student gate.....if you didn;t sell your 10%, you took far less

Point 2-
50 mill, or whatever will be a drop in the bucket. Maryland and Rutgers will likely land in the CIC now that they're in the B1G, a program worth a wad of research funding. The Univ Prez's saw the opportunity, jumped on it. (fwiw, this is why I posted here 2 yrs ago I wanted UT in the BIG....the football conf sucks, the baseball programs are a joke, but the CIC would make it worth the switch)

Point 3-
B1G wanted Maryland for the DC market....I heard they wanted RU for the NYC market. Silly me, I thought Rutgers was an afterthought in NYC

Point 4- Nebraska won the lottery. Mediocre Univ, but landing in the b10 will raise their stature in time. TEXAS chose the LHN and ND chose to stay with their Independent status and NBC contract. NU was the odd man out, it's a small miracle they caught the break they did. It had to kill Powers to tell the B1G he wasn't able to bring UT to the B1G.

Rutgers
11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
...I heard they wanted RU for the NYC market. Silly me, I thought Rutgers was an afterthought in NYC

You’re probably right. New York is predominantly a pro sports town. But you need to remember the NY television market is a lot larger then the other markets, so even an afterthought in NY is bigger the a forethought in some markets.

The NYC television market (not to be confused with the actual NYC population) is approximately 20.2 million. Only around 14% or 2.9 million “follow” college football. By comparison, the Birmingham, AL television market is about 2 million total. Even though 85% of that market follows college football, the television market for college football is larger in NY then in Birmingham, AL.

The NYC television market has more college football followers then Atlanta, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, or Philadelphia even though all those markets have a higher percentage of football ‘followers” (as a side note, the part of NJ that is not in the NYC television market lies in Philadelphia’s, the nations 4th largest.)

Furthermore, in the NYC market Rutgers is the favorite team of about 21% those 2.9 million followed by Notre Dame (9.2%) and Penn State (6.4).

As of last season, 5 of the top 5 watched football games on ESPN2 in NY involved Rutgers. 4 of the top 5 watched games on ESPN in NY involved Rutgers.

JustRalph
11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/iowa-football-maryland-rutgers-to-join-big-ten-conference

Tv money baby!

Maryland will go from playing in front 35 fans to 100k at away games.

Not sure what the impact will be On MD home games?

cj's dad
11-20-2012, 08:46 AM
To clarify.

The U of Md. sits on the doorstep of D.C. It is not a Baltimore school. Most Baltimoreans couldn't care less about UM unless they attended.

The rivalries with Duke and UNC in basketball go away. Damn. this is all about money.

with deference to my friend Ralph, I give a rat's a-s about playing Ohio State or Michigan. The U of Md. will be the doormat of Big 14 football.

And that's another thing; what's with calling this conference the Big 10 when there are 14 g---amn schools involved ?

ceejay
11-21-2012, 04:34 PM
A pretty negative take on the expansion.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/expanding-eastward-could-dilute-big-ten-brand/

The Big Ten may have expanded its revenue pie, but it will be dividing it 14 ways rather than 12, and among family members that have less history of sitting down at the table with one another. In seeking to expand its footprint eastward, the conference may have taken a step in the wrong direction.

onefast99
11-21-2012, 04:54 PM
You’re probably right. New York is predominantly a pro sports town. But you need to remember the NY television market is a lot larger then the other markets, so even an afterthought in NY is bigger the a forethought in some markets.

The NYC television market (not to be confused with the actual NYC population) is approximately 20.2 million. Only around 14% or 2.9 million “follow” college football. By comparison, the Birmingham, AL television market is about 2 million total. Even though 85% of that market follows college football, the television market for college football is larger in NY then in Birmingham, AL.

The NYC television market has more college football followers then Atlanta, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, or Philadelphia even though all those markets have a higher percentage of football ‘followers” (as a side note, the part of NJ that is not in the NYC television market lies in Philadelphia’s, the nations 4th largest.)

Furthermore, in the NYC market Rutgers is the favorite team of about 21% those 2.9 million followed by Notre Dame (9.2%) and Penn State (6.4).

As of last season, 5 of the top 5 watched football games on ESPN2 in NY involved Rutgers. 4 of the top 5 watched games on ESPN in NY involved Rutgers.
Fans voted Syracuse as their overall favorite NY team, I guess you just forgot to mention that. Combine that with MSG being a second home to SU basketball makes SU the logical NYC team. RU has been nothing in the basketball market in fact they have had the lowest attendance for BE tourney games played at MSG. RU played in the Pinstripe Bowl last year vs Iowa State they had less people there than SU did the year before vs Kansas State in which a snowstorm blanketed the area the day before while Rutgers enjoyed a 45 degree day with plenty of sunshine. You may want to check your ESPN numbers as RU played on ESPN3 four times with two games on ESPN2. two were on SNY while one was on CBS and one on ESPN which was the Pinstripe Bowl.

Rutgers
11-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Fans voted Syracuse as their overall favorite NY team, I guess you just forgot to mention that. Combine that with MSG being a second home to SU basketball makes SU the logical NYC team. RU has been nothing in the basketball market in fact they have had the lowest attendance for BE tourney games played at MSG. RU played in the Pinstripe Bowl last year vs Iowa State they had less people there than SU did the year before vs Kansas State in which a snowstorm blanketed the area the day before while Rutgers enjoyed a 45 degree day with plenty of sunshine. You may want to check your ESPN numbers as RU played on ESPN3 four times with two games on ESPN2. two were on SNY while one was on CBS and one on ESPN which was the Pinstripe Bowl.

I did not mention it because I was not aware of any poll. My post was based on NY Times 2010 study of television markets. And as I stated, it refers to the New York television market, not the population of New York City or New York. The New York television market includes NYC, LI, Westchester, parts of CT and northern NJ.

My ESPN numbers are not just from last season, but are all-time. But here are some numbers from last year. On October 21, 2001 Rutgers played Louisville at 8PM on ESPN2, on the same night Syracuse played WVU at 8PM on ESPN. The Rutgers game drew a 1.45 share in New York. The Syracuse game drew 0.7 in New York.

Here is an article on the ratings:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

I thought this part was interesting:

“Syracuse is not in the top 10 of ESPN's list of the most-viewed college football games in New York City.”

Here is something to think about, Rutgers and Syracuse have been in the same football conference since 1991 and played each other as independents before that, you would think if Syracuse was nearly as popular in New York as their supporters think they are, wouldn’t there be a Syracuse-Rutgers game in the top 10?

Striker
11-22-2012, 01:28 AM
The college football playoff system will be televised on ESPN for 12 years once it starts after the 2014 season. The deal is worth about $470 million a year. ESPN will own the rights to all six bowls involved in the four-team playoff system.

Robert Goren
11-22-2012, 08:07 AM
No one was more shocked than me when UNL joined the big 10. They have wanted out of the big 12 for years though. That was no secret at least in these parts. I am also sure that Texas thought " don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out". I never thought they would get into big 10 because of academics. I was wrong about that. I was pretty sure Rutgers was going to instead of UNL, so I am not shocked they are coming in now. They made sense for a lot reasons. Getting the big 10 network on basic cable in NYC area and the DC area (if wasn't already)is a big boost for that network. One thing I know, UNL did not get a full share of big 10 payouts its first year. I am not sure when they will get it. It might be this year. I would expect Rugters and Maryland to get similar deals as UNL. It was reported that even the smaller share UNL got from the big 10 was bigger than than a full share of the big 12. The big 12 had a lousy TV deal. Mizzo, Colo and A&M left got for the same reasons, although A&M may have had other motives as well.

onefast99
11-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I did not mention it because I was not aware of any poll. My post was based on NY Times 2010 study of television markets. And as I stated, it refers to the New York television market, not the population of New York City or New York. The New York television market includes NYC, LI, Westchester, parts of CT and northern NJ.

My ESPN numbers are not just from last season, but are all-time. But here are some numbers from last year. On October 21, 2001 Rutgers played Louisville at 8PM on ESPN2, on the same night Syracuse played WVU at 8PM on ESPN. The Rutgers game drew a 1.45 share in New York. The Syracuse game drew 0.7 in New York.

Here is an article on the ratings:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

I thought this part was interesting:

“Syracuse is not in the top 10 of ESPN's list of the most-viewed college football games in New York City.”

Here is something to think about, Rutgers and Syracuse have been in the same football conference since 1991 and played each other as independents before that, you would think if Syracuse was nearly as popular in New York as their supporters think they are, wouldn’t there be a Syracuse-Rutgers game in the top 10?
This is a NJ poll from NJ.com and Tom Lucci a NJ sportswriter not the NY Times. SU football wasn't in the limelight at that time and Rutgers was bouncing back from a horrible year. The evidence was in the Pinstripe Bowl last year at Yankee Stadium RU and Iowa State played before a crowd of 38000 of which 13000 were Iowa State fans, on a perfect weather day for football and the RU fans were a no show. RU isn't NY's team and never will be embraced as such.

ElKabong
11-23-2012, 12:25 AM
While watching TCU kick our ass tonight with some friends, we had a good laugh about this and other conf realignment moves. Just a year ago espn and every spare talkinghead in the deep south & east coast with a bad hairpiece blamed the evil Longhorns and their LHN for these kind of realignment moves.

Now you have Maryland going to the B1G. San Diego State is moving to the Big East. Makes me laugh. LHN was the reason for all shake ups in college sports (not these programs grabbing all the $$ they could -which is exactly what UT did). The AD's and BORs and the likes are in it for one thing....$$$$....the wins are secondary, and as alums, exes, fans, we're an afterthought

In 20 years things will shift back to where they were. Some of these shifts make no sense at all. Missouri, in the SEC? lol......otoh, you know their BOR are pissing all over themselves b/c they could have wound up in the B1G had they waited 12 months before jumping--- which was their first choice

Rutgers
11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
This is a NJ poll from NJ.com and Tom Lucci a NJ sportswriter not the NY Times. SU football wasn't in the limelight at that time and Rutgers was bouncing back from a horrible year. The evidence was in the Pinstripe Bowl last year at Yankee Stadium RU and Iowa State played before a crowd of 38000 of which 13000 were Iowa State fans, on a perfect weather day for football and the RU fans were a no show. RU isn't NY's team and never will be embraced as such.

Yes I am aware Tom Lucci is a sportswriter for the Star-Ledger. The article linked was not the NY Times Study, but an article written about the ratings last year which I reference in the sentence above the link. It was not about a poll, but an article about the actual Nielsen Ratings.

As for the Pinstripe Bowl, Rutgers sold 11,000 tickets. Iowa State sold 4,800 of their 5,000 tickets. For the Syracuse Pinstripe, Syracuse sold 8,000 of their 10,000 allotment.

By the way, I never said Rutgers was NY’s favorite team, I said the favorite football team in the NYC market is Rutgers. Once again, the NYC television market includes more than just NYC, and actually includes a large part of NJ and Rutgers itself, which is the State University of NJ.

My point is not to get into a “We’re Number 1” debate. It was an attempt to explain why the Big Ten would add a team that does not have a large national following in a market that does not appear to have much interest in college football. I was merely pointing at that do to the size of the market, even a small segment of the that market is larger than some other markets. I also pointed out that based on college football television ratings, the team most watched in the New York area is Rutgers, something that an athletic conference with it’s own television network probably considers important.

onefast99
11-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes I am aware Tom Lucci is a sportswriter for the Star-Ledger. The article linked was not the NY Times Study, but an article written about the ratings last year which I reference in the sentence above the link. It was not about a poll, but an article about the actual Nielsen Ratings.

As for the Pinstripe Bowl, Rutgers sold 11,000 tickets. Iowa State sold 4,800 of their 5,000 tickets. For the Syracuse Pinstripe, Syracuse sold 8,000 of their 10,000 allotment.

By the way, I never said Rutgers was NY’s favorite team, I said the favorite football team in the NYC market is Rutgers. Once again, the NYC television market includes more than just NYC, and actually includes a large part of NJ and Rutgers itself, which is the State University of NJ.

My point is not to get into a “We’re Number 1” debate. It was an attempt to explain why the Big Ten would add a team that does not have a large national following in a market that does not appear to have much interest in college football. I was merely pointing at that do to the size of the market, even a small segment of the that market is larger than some other markets. I also pointed out that based on college football television ratings, the team most watched in the New York area is Rutgers, something that an athletic conference with it’s own television network probably considers important.
Your Pinstripe Bowl numbers didn't include the walk-ups which Yankee Stadium management put at about 6000 SU fans. The numbers I was also referring to was the fair weathered RU football fans who do not travel well as evidenced by the perfect football weather day last December 30th(46 degrees and sunny at kickoff). The weather for the SU/K State game in 2010 was 29 degrees and windy for the kickoff. Also the Army /RU game earlier that year(Nov 12th) had a sparse crowd of 30000. Point being RU can rely on polls that the Star Ledger and NJ.com write about but the simple truth is RU isn't NYC's team in any way shape or form. On the otherhand, the move to the Big 10 was a very good one for RU.

Dahoss2002
11-26-2012, 01:23 AM

With all those resources yall need to give Saban a call and let him get a NT for Rutgers

Valuist
11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Can't wait to watch the Nebraska-Rutgers game on the Big Ten Network.

Rutgers
05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Can't wait to watch the Nebraska-Rutgers game on the Big Ten Network.

Mark your calendar-Saturday October 25, 2014 -Rutgers @ Nebraska

Valuist
05-19-2013, 09:48 PM
They should at least change the name of the conference. Try explaining to a non-fan how the conference is the "Big 10", or "Pac 10" or "Big Eight" when none of those conferences have those number of teams in their conference.

How about Boise State? They never played a game in the Big East, but have to pay $5 million or so penalty for leaving the conference. Can you imagine if they did play there? How about sports that play a lot of road games, like baseball? Lots and lots of air travel.

wiffleball whizz
05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
In a million years can't figure out why the big 10 wants or needs rutgers the big 10 10 years ago was as good as it gets the schools were all charter members I think then they added penn st...

Rutgers brings nothing to the table and I really don't see Ohio st Michigan and Nebraska playing at rutgers stadium.....I'd love to bet my life now that big red or as mr goren says UNL(took my 5 min to figure it out) play at rutgers it will be at least 60/40 nebraska fans.....IMO they have one of the best traveling fan base

And your telling me Ohio st will visit Piscataway? Not gonna happen they gonn be at giant stadium....another game it will be 60/40 road team....

I really cant wait for the 12 noon rutgers Minnesota 11am local time start the perverbial must see Illinois Maryland matchup or the vaunted rutgers at Indiana football quarrel!!!!!!

Actually imagine the scene in college park when the wildcats of northwestern invade Maryland!!!! I'll make sure I tell all friends not sked any wedding or funerals

And finally am i supposed to tell my girlfriend I can't take her parents to the airport for thier 50th anniversary vacation because i gotta stay home and watch the big 10 double header when the terps visit the hawkeyes at noon and at 3:30 and then purdue travels east to play the scarlet nights!!!!! I have 3 years to come up with a story....

For 15 years I grew up watching big 10 Nebraska deserves to be in big 10 rutgers and Maryland don't.....and make no mistake about it as much as I think rutgers shouldn't be I the big 10 i think it may finally help the basketball program for that I'm exited...

I just don't see these big teams traveling to piscataway

Striker
05-20-2013, 04:50 PM
In a million years can't figure out why the big 10 wants or needs rutgers the big 10 10 years ago was as good as it gets the schools were all charter members I think then they added penn st...

The Big 10 needs/wants Rutgers and Maryland just as much as those schools need/want to be in the conference. It's all about money. Maryland didn't receive anywhere near the payout from the ACC, that they will receive from the Big 10 media contracts. The Big 10 network is a huge success. They now can expand into more of the Mid-Atlantic markets, and the conference will negotiate a new contract in 2017 that is supposed to bring $40 million to each school in the Big Ten PER YEAR, last year each school received about $24-$25 million from the media contracts that they have. Maryland and Rutgers athletic departments weren't very sound financially and were forced to cut sports over the past few years. This will help their bottom lines in the athletic budget.

wiffleball whizz
05-20-2013, 07:26 PM
If it wasn't for the big ten network rutgers and md wouldn't even get consideration...

And breaking news the big 10 teams are now 23-0 in "big 10s greatest games" out of conference games on BTN