PDA

View Full Version : 3 more weeks for

lamboguy
11-17-2012, 08:46 AM
NYRA tracks to institute the ban of the use of clen-beuterol 3 weeks before a race. they have other changes like not allowing tapping agents and some drugs they are no longer going to allow for pre-race. this is going to make it hard to make a clen-cocktail and train and run with illegal substances in a horses system. this is a great first step in an attempt to level off the playing field and get more people interested in the game.

i don't know if this is going to get rid of the use of ITTP or TB-500.

this approach is going to bring a lot better results than what Parx racing does, allowing the use of Clen 24 hours before a race. now that NYRA has the slot money, they have certainly done something positive to insure the viability of the game going forward. this is a giant first step and they mean business, if someone try's to circumvent the rules they get a stiff penalty, automatic 6 months for a first offense.

johnhannibalsmith
11-17-2012, 10:23 AM
...this approach is going to bring a lot better results than what Parx racing does, allowing the use of Clen 24 hours before a race...

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_24476_10297_0_43/AgWebsite/Files/Publications/Clenbuterol_Policy.pdf

I have to admit, I went straight to the Penn. Commission's site to fact check this statement, because I found it hard to believe that there was still a jurisdiction that in 2012 was still allowing for those kinds of thresholds with all of the variations and concentrated derivatives that have popped on the scene. It's not exactly accurately I suppose to say that they allow you to use it 24 out, but given that there guidelines recommend 48 hours, I find it entirely plausible that many do continue on it up to and until a day out. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised at anything in Pennsylvania, but I truly expected to find thresholds that would at minimum lead to a recommended 96-120 hour withdrawal in this day and age.

lamboguy
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
have you ever asked yourself why those Parx trainers can't win when they leave that state?

when you have different medication rules in different places you can get very funny results.

the message from New York is very clear, they don't want to pay big money for purses to phony horses that don't deserve to get the money.

johnhannibalsmith
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
That type of scenario plays out all over. I admit that I've probably played a total of five races there since Philly Park became Parx and can't remember the last time I was so disinterested in going home that I stayed at the track long enough to play Penn National. I don't follow much that happens there at all.

That said, even in the dopey state that I race in with their historically permissive medication rules and shaky testing, even years ago you pretty much had to quit on clenbuterol at least three days out when the guidelines recommended five. And that was before the "red" clenbuterol. I guess the fine folks in Penn. only use the FDA approved variety, so it isn't a problem there. :rolleyes:

Brogan
11-17-2012, 05:24 PM
NYRA tracks to institute the ban of the use of clen-beuterol 3 weeks before a race. they have other changes like not allowing tapping agents and some drugs they are no longer going to allow for pre-race. this is going to make it hard to make a clen-cocktail and train and run with illegal substances in a horses system. this is a great first step in an attempt to level off the playing field and get more people interested in the game.

i don't know if this is going to get rid of the use of ITTP or TB-500.

this approach is going to bring a lot better results than what Parx racing does, allowing the use of Clen 24 hours before a race. now that NYRA has the slot money, they have certainly done something positive to insure the viability of the game going forward. this is a giant first step and they mean business, if someone try's to circumvent the rules they get a stiff penalty, automatic 6 months for a first offense.

EMPHASIS MINE

I'd have to disagree with this statement. Clenbuterol is a widely accepted and used drug on the backside that is legally available to every trainer. Besides the label use for opening up the horse's airway (bronchodilator) it has alleged steroid-like effects on the animal, increasing metablolism and adding muscle mass.

The suspect high-percentage boys will still have their magic potions, whatever they are, and will gain an even bigger advantage over those playing within the rules.

lamboguy
11-17-2012, 05:47 PM
i was talking about the stuff they mix in with the clen. i know there are other things that they don't or can't test for that this change in policy won't have any bearing on. eventually they will be able to find those things as well.

you have to admit that this is a good start, at least you know that NYRA is trying to do something about this.

Al Gobbi
11-29-2012, 02:47 PM
its a start but it makes me wonder if some of the cheaters and low level trainers will take horses from Aqueduct and go elsewhere where the rules are not enforced?