PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for electricity?

JustRalph
11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Similar to the gas price thread.

I am in an Electric co-op here in Texas.

6.5 to 9 cents a kilowatt hour. So far In 3 months I haven't paid more than 7.5

I paid as much as 15.75 near Baltimore.

I would like to see what others are paying across the country.

plainolebill
11-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Our rates are about the same as yours Ralph. My bill runs high in the winter because I heat my shop with an electric heater but overall it's cheap. My gas bill went down significanly this year because the ng company lowered it's rates.

thaskalos
11-17-2012, 03:18 AM
My current monthly bill is $86.90

Tee
11-17-2012, 03:26 AM
From the Nov bill / kWh.

8 cents this month
13 cents last month
7 cents the past year.

Pace Cap'n
11-17-2012, 05:57 AM
St. Joe MO checking at .095/kwh.

HUSKER55
11-17-2012, 06:14 AM
mine is .121 here in milwaukee

Jay Trotter
11-17-2012, 11:22 AM
6.94¢ /kWh here in Manitoba

We are a large hydro exporter

DJofSD
11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Starts @ $0.14/KWh and goes up from there. See: http://regarchive.sdge.com/customer/rates/tierCosts.shtml

HUSKER55
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

this was interesting. coal is more radioactive than nuclear energy for the same amount of energy produced.

lsbets
11-17-2012, 12:26 PM
My current monthly bill is $86.90

I don't get close to that low in the non heat or ac months. Summer runs about 500 a month, winter about 400 (electric heat) the in between months 200 or so.

The funny thing is my neighbors all think my bill is low in the summer. They run 700+.

thaskalos
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't get close to that low in the non heat or ac months. Summer runs about 500 a month, winter about 400 (electric heat) the in between months 200 or so.

The funny thing is my neighbors all think my bill is low in the summer. They run 700+.

I have gas heat...and was also paying in the $500-range during the winter months a couple of years ago. But my heating bill dropped drastically over the last years or so...to about $300 a month for last winter.

My electricity bill fluctuates wildly for some reason...even in the non a/c months. I will pay anywhere between $80-$300...with the non a/c months between $80 and $200. I have tried to get an explanation from them about the wild fluctuations...but no reason given to me so far.

ElKabong
11-17-2012, 01:13 PM

All electric @ the house, I've never had a bill over $220 (2 winters ago).... Last month's was $82 (bill arrived today). Avg is about $110... 1850 SF.

Summertime I have the setting at 80 degs from 8am-5pm, 77 degs from 5pm to 7am.......wintertime I have it set at 60 degs from midnite to 6pm, 64 degs from 6pm till bedtime.....I never have the setting over 65 in the winter. Anything over that is too warm.

FWIW, setting the thermostat like that is better for sinuses.....when I go to Minnesota in the Fall or Winter to visit family it drives me nuts. Those people up there crank up the heat over 70 degs (some as high as 76) it's like you're going to suffocate

I negotiated our elect rates at work last Spring, high 4's IIRC.....sure wish I could get that at home, I pay double that for the casa.

ElKabong
11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Starts @ $0.14/KWh and goes up from there. See: http://regarchive.sdge.com/customer/rates/tierCosts.shtml

I would think your bills are pretty low, tho. Is that right? The mild climate you have in SD, the a/c or heat wouldn't even come on some days....just guessing

DJofSD
11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I would think your bills are pretty low, tho. Is that right? The mild climate you have in SD, the a/c or heat wouldn't even come on some days....just guessing
By and large, yes, the montly energy bill is pretty low. No A/C, so no spikes when it does get hot.

The local dealers for solar panels advertize if your bills are greater than $150 a month (I always assume they mean just for electricity) they can install one of their systems and save you money to boot. My total bill doesn't even come close to that.

redshift1
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Socal near the beach.

Electric 45.00 monthly average.

Gas 25.00 monthly average.

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Let's see...they break this bill out all funky...

There's Delivery and System charges plus Power Supply Charges plus Efficiency & Renewable Charges...

But when all is said and done, my bill for the last 30 days is $128.20 for 673 KWH, which translates to $.19/KWH....quite the premium when compared to others here...and we pay all that, and then get such excellent emergency response service in times of crisis, such as recently with Hurricane Sandy, where it took weeks to restore service to a lot of people here on Long Island... :rolleyes:

lsbets
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I keep it at 78 in the summer and 72 in the winter. I'd keep it lower in the winter, but that wouldn't fly with the wife. We are about 3200 sqft. The high ceilings are a killer. Living room ceiling goes straight to the roof on second floor, sucks up heat and makes cooling work hard. The other problem I have is kids. They don't know how to turn a light off when they leave a room and playing outside means going in and out every five minutes. Plus my windows suck. If I got new windows my bill would go down. The hail storm from the tornado in the spring got me a new roof and two new hvac units outside, but the windows were all fine.

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
78 in the summer wouldn't fly with me...lol

I keep it 72-74 in summer and 65-67 in winter...

lsbets
11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
78 in the summer wouldn't fly with me...lol

I keep it 72-74 in summer and 65-67 in winter...

78 feels pretty good when its always over 100. Anything less is cold.

ElKabong
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
78 feels pretty good when its always over 100. Anything less is cold.

Totally agree. Aanything lower on a hot day feels like you walked into a freezer. But a lot of people here (north Tx) wind it down to 74 or so....

You're right about women wanting it more cool in summer, warm in winter. Kids too. My brother had his house at 60 in the winter, 70-72 in the summer. His 2nd wife objected...., his 3rd wife won the tug o war. She's in control of the thermostat. He had to give up the thermostat to get the good-good. Those were the terms I'm told.

TXU is going to go bankrupt at some point, but I doubt it'll have much affect on rates. You can always switch, and besides, another company will pick up their customers. Ed Wallace had some good articles on TXU not long ago

ElKabong
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Let's see...they break this bill out all funky...

There's Delivery and System charges plus Power Supply Charges plus Efficiency & Renewable Charges...

But when all is said and done, my bill for the last 30 days is $128.20 for 673 KWH, which translates to $.19/KWH....quite the premium when compared to others here...and we pay all that, and then get such excellent emergency response service in times of crisis, such as recently with Hurricane Sandy, where it took weeks to restore service to a lot of people here on Long Island... :rolleyes:

My bill used to have those charges rolled up into my bill until recently. $26 of the October charges were delivery charges etc. The charge for electricity was $56 IIRC.....We had a very mild October so that's unusually low

lsbets
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
You're right about women wanting it more cool in summer, warm in winter. Kids too. My brother had his house at 60 in the winter, 70-72 in the summer. His 2nd wife objected...., his 3rd wife won the tug o war. She's in control of the thermostat. He had to give up the thermostat to get the good-good. Those were the terms I'm told.

Even worse is pregnant women. Thermostat is all over the place and never how I want it. There were many nights throughout the 3 (I got to miss one pregnancy, not a bad thing at all) where she would be under the sheets and cover with the heat way up, and I'm laying on top of the sheets in my underwear sweating my ass off in January.

Totally agree. Aanything lower on a hot day feels like you walked into a freezer. But a lot of people here (north Tx) wind it down to 74 or so....

Offices are terrible with that in the summer. You almost need to put pants on instead of shorts walking in.

JustRalph
11-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Got a new bill yesterday. Add all the charges etc

.09 per kwh this month

3400 sq feet , used 1650 kwh.

I have two separate heating n cooling systems one for upstairs one for down.

Still about 4-5 cents an hour less than MD.

Marshall Bennett
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Paying 11 cents KWH here in Livingston, Tx.