PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorne Race 5 11/16/12

cnollfan
11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
What happened in Race 5 at Hawthorne today (Friday 11/16/12)?

RXB
11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
7-horse appeared to break down just as they went under the wire the first time and thus they had to pull up in the stretch as the stricken animal was still on the track.

cnollfan
11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Thank you.

BlueShoe
11-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Credit to track announcer Peter Galassi for being on top of the situation. He caught it quickly and stopped calling the race and broadcast loud warnings to the riders and outriders over and over again, alerting the jockeys to go the outside and pull up.

SharpCat
11-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Credit to track announcer Peter Galassi for being on top of the situation. He caught it quickly and stopped calling the race and broadcast loud warnings to the riders and outriders over and over again, alerting the jockeys to go the outside and pull up.

Agreed. Very good job by Galassi

cj
11-17-2012, 01:02 AM
While he did what he could, and I really don't want to be a stick in the mud, but those guys didn't hear him at all. They were race riding until turning into the stretch and then they saw the outriders. That is why they stopped. You can't really see them on TV until after the riders have pulled up, but they did a good job.

Milkshaker
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
While he did what he could, and I really don't want to be a stick in the mud, but those guys didn't hear him at all. They were race riding until turning into the stretch and then they saw the outriders. That is why they stopped.

I second that emotion. This "announcer warning the jockeys" fallacy gets brought up on this site every time an incident like this occurs.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
They'll announce it loud, and hope that the riders hear it. Outriders definitely key in stopping races. This is important everywhere. However, Hawthorne has a glass-enclosed grandstand, with some fans on the apron and an open area on the 3rd floor of the grandstand. There isn't usually too much crowd noise outside at hawthorne compared to some other tracks. However, those horses and their hooves, whips cracking, etc. make plenty of noise, so there is no assurance that the riders can hear the announcer. The outriders probably hear the announcer better than the riders during the race.