PDA

View Full Version : Stud Fees

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 08:40 PM
I just seen where Frankels stud fee was $200k. Seems reasonable considering his carrer and the hype that came along with it. By hype I am not saying he is overrated.

I remember when stud fee for A.P. Indy and Storm Cat were $400k and $500K respectivly. That is just crazy to think about that. I would have two armed guards with these horses at all times. When they got to old to do the job I would of helped thier buts out. lol. Seriously though!!

How times a week can a horse breed when he is in his sexual prime. lol

usedtolovetvg
11-15-2012, 08:54 PM
A healthy stallion can breed twice daily,7 days a week during breeding season.

Equine Breeding Management and Artificial Insemination
By Juan C. Samper, Ph.D.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 08:58 PM
So if there was enough mares to go around.....

Storm Cat 2*7days week=14*4 weeks month= 56* 12 months a year=672 times a year

672 * $500,000= $336,000,000 a year * 10 year stud life 3,336,000,000

WOW!!!!

I know they don't have that many mares to bred to but it's crazy to think about the money that was made in breeding.

usedtolovetvg
11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
The breeding season isn't 52 weeks a year. I think its more like 12-16. They could always send them him the southern hemisphere.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't know anything about breeding. It makes scense now that I think about it. Most horses are born between the months of January and March

jorcus99
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Being a Juddmont Stallion they will probably keep a lot of the covers for their own mares. That reduces the supply of open bookings and props the price up. 200k is a lot of money for a first year stallion in this European economy.

MickJ26
11-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Didn't Overbrook have an armed guard for Storm Cat?

OTM Al
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Didn't Overbrook have an armed guard for Storm Cat?

Yep.

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Didn't Overbrook have an armed guard for Storm Cat?Wouldn't you? :eek: :lol:

Fingal
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
It's always interesting at this time of year to see the listings of the different farms & who's going up, who's going down or staying the same. And then you have the new studs-

Rex Phinney
11-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I think it is true also that they cover each mare twice, so that along with the breeding season limits how many they get a year. I think the most busy stallions get about 100 a year. Keep in mind though the busiest ones aren't the most expensive, often times farms lower the stud fees in an attempt to get a stallions racing offspring count up, more foals= more chances to have good runners. The stallions with the best value for dollar are the busiest.

Broad Brush
11-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I just seen where Frankels stud fee was $200k. Seems reasonable considering his carrer and the hype that came along with it. By hype I am not saying he is overrated.

I remember when stud fee for A.P. Indy and Storm Cat were $400k and $500K respectivly. That is just crazy to think about that. I would have two armed guards with these horses at all times. When they got to old to do the job I would of helped thier buts out. lol. Seriously though!!

How times a week can a horse breed when he is in his sexual prime. lol

How times have changed. In 1975, I went to Spendthrift Farm and got to see
Nashua and Gallant Man. They took us around each stall and then you could wander around "and make sure you close the gate when you leave".
Speaking of high stud fees, no horse ever could match the great
Northern Dancer. His stud fee ranged from $500,000 to $1,000,000.
But here is the rub: no guarantee!! So, if your mare did not get in foal--
you were out the money.

Sysonby
11-23-2012, 01:13 AM
A French consortium offered the Taylors $40 million for Northern Dancer when he was 25 years old. They turned them down and retired him from breeding, said he was starting to look embarrassed when he went to the breeding shed.

Linny
11-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I think it is true also that they cover each mare twice, so that along with the breeding season limits how many they get a year. I think the most busy stallions get about 100 a year. Keep in mind though the busiest ones aren't the most expensive, often times farms lower the stud fees in an attempt to get a stallions racing offspring count up, more foals= more chances to have good runners. The stallions with the best value for dollar are the busiest.

Mares only get multiple covers if they don't "catch" on the first. If they get pregnant on the first cover they don't return to season. No one in their right might would expose a valuable stallion to a mare not properly in season!