PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro vs. Bernardini

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
The other day was talking with a horse racing friend of mines. We were arguing about who would of won between Barbaro and Bernadani. Barbaro was a course the undefeated horse that won the Derby but died afterwards. Bernadni was the late develping horse who came on the seen the same year in the Belmont in which he crushed. My friend is a hudge Barbaro fan and said that Barbaro would of beat Bernadani. I on the other hand was and am a hudge believer in the talents of Bernadni. I believe he would of been a superhorse if allowed to run past 3. I believe he was moved way to early in the Classic and was caught at the wire by invasior. I thought that was just a horrible ride. Anyhow what is everyone elses opoion on who would of won the match up between Barbaro and Bernadni if they would of meet in thier prime at a 1 /4

SharpCat
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
The other day was talking with a horse racing friend of mines. We were arguing about who would of won between Barbaro and Bernadani. Barbaro was a course the undefeated horse that won the Derby but died afterwards. Bernadni was the late develping horse who came on the seen the same year in the Belmont in which he crushed. My friend is a hudge Barbaro fan and said that Barbaro would of beat Bernadani. I on the other hand was and am a hudge believer in the talents of Bernadni. I believe he would of been a superhorse if allowed to run past 3. I believe he was moved way to early in the Classic and was caught at the wire by invasior. I thought that was just a horrible ride. Anyhow what is everyone elses opoion on who would of won the match up between Barbaro and Bernadni if they would of meet in thier prime at a 1 /4

Bernardini never ran in the Belmont. He won the Preakness the race in which Barbaro broke down. Would have been nice to see Bernardini run as a 4yo.

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2012, 02:12 AM
I corrected the cute misspellings of both horses' names in the original title of this thread... :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Bernadini's peak was above Barbaro's peak, but Barbaro never had a chance to develop. Had they raced in the Preakness, I think I would have taken Barbaro at that stage. Bernandini was already very good, but that was a softer spot than the Derby and if memory serve me, he got a very good trip.

Robert Fischer
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
I bet Bernardini that day, but in hindsight I would have to use them both.

Barbaro may have won.

The race would be in favor of Bernardini. He fired a pretty good race, and his trip wouldn't change at all with Barbaro in the race. He may even face less resistance from the also-rans (LikeNow?).

Barbaro would have had to overcome a decent pace and run a better race than than Bernardini just to dead heat. He still may have won. They might have been neck and neck at the wire.

classhandicapper
11-16-2012, 07:44 PM
The race would be in favor of Bernardini. He fired a pretty good race, and his trip wouldn't change at all with Barbaro in the race. He may even face less resistance from the also-rans (LikeNow?).

Barbaro would have had to overcome a decent pace and run a better race than than Bernardini just to dead heat. He still may have won. They might have been neck and neck at the wire.

I was trying to imply that the impressiveness of Bernadini's victory in the Preakness was partly related to the easy trip he had that day. So it's not such an easy compare to Barbaro's Derby (at least for me).

Leparoux
11-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Tough call on this one.

In reference to Bernardini in the Classic, yes he may have moved too early but he wasn't caught "at the wire" by Invasor. Invasor was a better horse IMO and was the best that day.

ArlJim78
11-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Invasor "just catching" Bernardini at the wire.
here is how espn reported it.

Nov 04, 2006 · Invasor pulled alongside Bernardini in the stretch and blew past the mighty colt for a stunning victory in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic

http://www.brisnet.com/pictures/invasor11-4dk.jpg

sandpit
11-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Invasor "just catching" Bernardini at the wire.
here is how espn reported it.

http://www.brisnet.com/pictures/invasor11-4dk.jpg

Check out the ears straight up and and the jock under a hold...I was between the 1/8 and 16th poles on the third floor that day at CD, and Invasor was an easy winner. A remarkable horse that doesn't get his due historically speaking. Steve Haskin did a great piece on him, but I can't find it.

Robert Fischer
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I was trying to imply that the impressiveness of Bernadini's victory in the Preakness was partly related to the easy trip he had that day. So it's not such an easy compare to Barbaro's Derby (at least for me).

I agree.

It may have been like the Street Sense vs. Curlin Preakness. Who knows?