PDA

View Full Version : Top jockies on turf and dirt

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
As a long time reader and new poster I always thought a thread of peoples opnion of the top jockies on both dirt and turf.

Dirt
1. R. Bearjno (Didn't have a great Breeders Cup but just love the way he rides
2. Joel Rossario
3. John Valesquez
4. Mike Smith
5. J.Castallano
6. Rosie Naprovnik (Would of never thought I would rate a girl jockey in my top 6

Turf
1. J. Lepearux
2. ............. don't know I thought I would leave a spot
3. J. Valesquez
4. G. Gomez
5. B. Blanc ( Has always been a personal favorite of mines on the grass)

Honarable mention for my grandma who has passed: L. Melancon

Ca9
11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
As a long time reader and new poster I always thought a thread of peoples opnion of the top jockies on both dirt and turf.

Dirt
2. Joel Rossario
3. John Valesquez
4. Mike Smith
5. J.Castallano
6. Rosie Naprovnik (Would of never thought I would rate a girl jockey in my top 6

Turf
1. J. Lepearux
3. J. Valesquez
4. G. Gomez

Turf

2.Castellano

Broad Brush
11-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Dirt
2. Joel Rossario
3. John Valesquez
4. Mike Smith
5. J.Castallano

Turf
1. J. Lepearux
3. J. Valesquez
4. G. Gomez

Hmmm, no Ramon on either list??

Turf
1. Jose Lezcano
2. Ramon Dominguez
2. JJ Castellano
2. J Rosario
They are all so good.

Dirt
5. R. Bejarano
4. G. Gomez
3. J. Rosario
2. R. Dominguez
1. I know I will get Huh?? on this: Irad Ortiz.
This kid is pure magic on a horse. He moves up every horse he rides.
His win % is low because he does not get very good mounts.
Watch him, he always has his horse in perfect position and can ride
any type of horse.

Just my 2 cents.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree with Irad is talented. What great about this is that everyone has a different oponion. I personally am not as high on Dominguez as alot of people. I feel as though Bearjano is the best dirt rider in the country. Alot of people would argue that. Everyone has there own oponion

the little guy
11-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Dirt
2. Joel Rossario
3. John Valesquez
4. Mike Smith
5. J.Castallano

Turf
1. J. Lepearux
3. J. Valesquez
4. G. Gomez

Here's the good news....you spelled Smith, Gomez, and Blanc correctly.

Here's the bad news....those were the only three things you got right.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Forgot about Lezano. Him and Castallano deserve to be in the arguement for best turf riders.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Not a good speller. As I say on a sports forum I get on. I refuse to spell check or proff read anything I post on a forum talking sports with the guys.

gheuks
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Horacio Karamanos on the turf. Not a household name, but very good in the pimlico/laurel/colonial circuit.

awrobe01
11-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I like Harico also.

I remember watching Beajano and Hoosier and then Churchill. I was lucky to pick up on this guy early. I won alot of money before he became popular.

Has anyone else noticed the talent of a paticular jockey before the general public, therefore you were able to make alot of money betting them. On the other side of that sword. I think Borel was getting way over bet at Churchill after he ran off those Derby victories. I feel like I was getting good value betting against a very average but Derby lucky jockey. Most casual fans in Louisville thinks he is the best jockey around because he has won three derbies. This was espically so on the weekends when the casual fans would go to the track.

wisconsin
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I like Harico also.

I remember watching Beajano and Hoosier and then Churchill. I was lucky to pick up on this guy early. I won alot of money before he became popular.

Has anyone else noticed the talent of a paticular jockey before the general public, therefore you were able to make alot of money betting them. On the other side of that sword. I think Borel was getting way over bet at Churchill after he ran off those Derby victories. I feel like I was getting good value betting against a very average but Derby lucky jockey. Most casual fans in Louisville thinks he is the best jockey around because he has won three derbies. This was espically so on the weekends when the casual fans would go to the track.

Francisco Torres was awesome on speed types when he was young. Made some real money with him. Also made some dough betting Willie Martinez when he came to Chicago first year. Strong and nobody knew who he was.

Agree Castellano and Lezcano on the grass.

Broad Brush
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I like Harico also.

Now you are talking!!! Everybody knows the top jocks and the lower odds
reflect that. The trick is to know the ones who are good and don't get bet.
Maybe that is why I love Irad Ortiz so much.

thearmada
11-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Leparoux does more to lose races than he does to win them. Not in my top 5 on either surface.

Irad is good. Junior Alvarado and Irad bring in some horses with nice prices.

usedtolovetvg
11-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Fernando Toro (The Grass Cutter)

v j stauffer
11-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's the good news....you spelled Smith, Gomez, and Blanc correctly.

Here's the bad news....those were the only three things you got right.

Only contribution to thread is to knock someone. Shocker!!:bang:

I think Joe Talamo is evolving into a very nice turf rider. On the grass you MUST save ground. He clearly gets that.

Rosario is a great rider that all too often relies on being the best finisher in 20 years. Until he saves ground he can't be a superstar.

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Only contribution to thread is to knock someone. Shocker!!:bang:

I think Joe Talamo is evolving into a very nice turf rider. On the grass you MUST save ground. He clearly gets that.

Rosario is a great rider that all too often relies on being the best finisher in 20 years. Until he saves ground he can't be a superstar.For the record, I think this guy is putting us on. Not only did he misspell almost every jock on his list, he started a thread on Barbaro and Bernardini and managed to spell both those names wrong as well.

As the years have gone on, it gets easier and easier to tell when one is getting punked. This one seems like a no braynir.

MaTH716
11-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Bric Blanc and Rosie make lists and no sign of Ramon...........................Oy Vey.

Valuist
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Bejarano top dirt rider? He only rides on dirt a few months of the year. You can't lump synthetic in with real dirt.

v j stauffer
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Bejarano top dirt rider? He only rides on dirt a few months of the year. You can't lump synthetic in with real dirt.

He's a really good rider on any surface. However that's a very interesting take. Wonder how those stats break down?