PDA

View Full Version : QB's value relative to their backups

Valuist
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Was listening to a podcast and among a survey of LV oddsmakers, here's how much these QB's are worth, relative to their backup;

note: they didn't mention Brees or Brady; one would think they would have to be near the top.

Peyton Manning 6 1/2 pts
Rodgers 6 pts
Roethlisberger 4 pts
Ryan 4 pts
Eli Manning 4 pts
Stafford 2 pts
Cutler 2 pts
Alex Smith 1 1/2 pts
Vick 1 pt

Also, Adrian Peterson was the highest rated RB, at a mere 1 pt. Only about 12 players in the NFL (non QBs) have any impact on the pointspread.

cj's dad
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Cutler and Vick above Flacco. What a joke.

Valuist
11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Cutler and Vick above Flacco. What a joke.

They didn't list Flacco. Don't know what his value his. It could've been higher than both. But I certainly wouldn't put Flacco above any of the guys listed at 4.

cj's dad
11-14-2012, 08:34 PM
They didn't list Flacco. Don't know what his value his. It could've been higher than both. But I certainly wouldn't put Flacco above any of the guys listed at 4.

Nor would I, but he is certainly better than Vick and Cutler IMO.

Valuist
11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Nor would I, but he is certainly better than Vick and Cutler IMO.

Agreed. He'd probably be a 2 1/2.

pandy
11-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Was listening to a podcast and among a survey of LV oddsmakers, here's how much these QB's are worth, relative to their backup;

note: they didn't mention Brees or Brady; one would think they would have to be near the top.

Peyton Manning 6 1/2 pts
Rodgers 6 pts
Roethlisberger 4 pts
Ryan 4 pts
Eli Manning 4 pts
Stafford 2 pts
Cutler 2 pts
Alex Smith 1 1/2 pts
Vick 1 pt

Also, Adrian Peterson was the highest rated RB, at a mere 1 pt. Only about 12 players in the NFL (non QBs) have any impact on the pointspread.

Vick's inconsistency and turnovers should rank him pretty low, zero. I would take Andrew Luck over Vick any day. Flacco should be on the list, probably at 2 or 2.5. . Brady is on the decline and overrated but still rates a 3.5 or 4 just based on what he has accomplished.

Valuist
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Alex Smith 1 1/2 points over Kaepernick? My guess is not anymore.

pandy
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Alex Smith 1 1/2 points over Kaepernick? My guess is not anymore.

Kaepernick shocked me last night. That had to be one of the most impressive first starts of any QB in NFL history. Not only did he have pinpoint accuracy but he looked poised against one of the best defenses in the league.

I remember when I saw Dan Marino's first start in the NFL, he threw 3 TDs and you could see that he was something special.

It's tough being a Jets fan. We get stuck with Sanchez just because Rex Ryan is a poor judge of offensive talent, made a bad draft choice, and won't admit it, meanwhile there are several rookies and even second string quarterbacks in the league that are much better than Sanchez.

Robert Fischer
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
49ers have a strong team that requires the QB to execute, rather than dominate the offense.

Kaepernick will be even better when the game slows down for him and he can feel the pocket.

He almost got killed on a sack where 2 defenders appeared to hit each other, when he got down below their helmets. With his running ability, he can make defensive ends pay for blitzing very wide once the game slows down for him.

His touch on red zone passes will also improve.

He is more physically talented than Smith, but Smith has proven that he has the presence of mind to be consistent.
Will be interesting to see how this turns out this season, and in the future.

Valuist
11-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I saw Kaepernick on ESPN two years ago against Boise in Boise. Nobody wins up there. They took Boise to OT in a game where both teams hit the 60s. 2000 passing yards, 1000 rush yards as a senior. And a 38 on the Wunderlic.

Maximillion
11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Did anyone else find it odd that the 49ers were saying A Smith was the "likely" starter so early in the week?

Just seemed early to come forward with that info when there was no real reason to do so.(maybe there was)

Still agree CK was very impressive and it will be real interesting to see who JH starts...

cj
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Roethlisberger 4 pts

I don't think anyone would argue it isn't at least 4 points after Sunday night.

Valuist
11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't think anyone would argue it isn't at least 4 points after Sunday night.

Leftwich was brutal but apparently he was hurt. I would hope so because he could barely throw the ball 20 yards last Sunday.