PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the Union: lost jobs and Twinkies

JustRalph
11-12-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_a27e262c-ee54-5bf1-9f18-5c6c4c187f15.html#.UKF7pBemv2I.twitter

HUSKER55
11-13-2012, 04:58 AM
they got their unions and they shut down one greedy bastard!

BO will take care of them!

ArlJim78
11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
unions will always strike, even if the company is bankrupt and closing down factories, doesn't matter. there is only one outcome for a unionized company, bankruptcy. Since we have a thread about democrat success stories, maybe we should also have one on union success stories, it would be equally devoid of content.

Tom
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Not only the company, but the public as well.
Remember the garbage strikes, a very real health threat to our children, but the union boys did not care - only about themselves.

Real he-men! :lol::lol::lol:

mostpost
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Hostess Brands cut wages and benefits 32% and the workers aren't supposed to strike? Are you out of your mind? These companies are constantly crying about economic conditions, yet all of their cutting of wages and benefits only results in more cuts of wages and benefits. If you're too stupid to make a company that makes HoHos and Suzy Qs profitable, you don't deserve to be in business.

mostpost
11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Not only the company, but the public as well.
Remember the garbage strikes, a very real health threat to our children, but the union boys did not care - only about themselves.

Real he-men! :lol::lol::lol:

So you think shutting down a factory that makes Twinkies is a threat to human health. I think you have that backwards.

Tom
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
RIF.
Do they offer night classes in Chitown?

Dave Schwartz
11-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Hostess Brands cut wages and benefits 32% and the workers aren't supposed to strike? Are you out of your mind? These companies are constantly crying about economic conditions, yet all of their cutting of wages and benefits only results in more cuts of wages and benefits. If you're too stupid to make a company that makes HoHos and Suzy Qs profitable, you don't deserve to be in business.

It seems that the company agrees with you.

Tell me... who much will those union workers be making NOW?

johnhannibalsmith
11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Romney would have saved the snack industry.

Robert Fischer
11-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm shocked that this wasn't a 'pro-union' thread.

#sarcasm

Tom
11-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Romney would have saved the snack industry.

That's because Obama IS a Twinkie!

ArlJim78
11-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm sure these twinkie stuffers will easily find new jobs that pay as much or more once they put Hostess out of business.

OntheRail
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Well at some point Hostess Brands gave em' increases while the bread rose... now that the bread won't rise don't you feel that for the sake of ALL.. that sharing the lean times to weather thru could be a fare thing. But no you think the companies only exist for the sake of the workers. When they have to start working retail ( Welcome to Walmart ) they'll be taking a real step forward... :lol: .

So I hope you enjoy your imported ChoCho and Luzy Wo's.

mostpost
11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
unions will always strike, even if the company is bankrupt and closing down factories, doesn't matter. there is only one outcome for a unionized company, bankruptcy. Since we have a thread about democrat success stories, maybe we should also have one on union success stories, it would be equally devoid of content.Do you have any evidence that this is so? Wait, I forgot, conservatives don't do evidence,

Let me present some evidence. I tired to find stats on bankruptcies of union firms vs. non union firms. I could not, but I did find statistics for Right to Work States vs. union states.
http://www.abiworld.org/AM/AMTemplate.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=50488&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

Numbers are for 2006
Bankruptcies in R2W states: 9400
Bankruptcies in Union states: 11679

Before you start jumping up and down shouting, "I told you so," a few additional facts.
R2W states have 40% of the population of the United States.
Union states have 60%. That by itself neutralizes the fact that Union states have 55% of the bankruptcies.

Also, not every company in the union states is a union company. So, unless you can provide me with verifiable statistics to prove your point I am going to call it hogwash. Another one of those "facts" that you "know" is true because you want it to be true so badly.

HUSKER55
11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
did you find any data on a per state union vs non union in the same state.

porchy44
11-13-2012, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=mostpost]Hostess Brands cut wages and benefits 32% and the workers aren't supposed to strike? [QUOTE]

Earlier today, Cincinnati worker Thomas Baldwin told Local 12, "They're cutting our wages 8 per cent, then they're gonna go on top of that eight per cent, then take another two per cent, and take our insurance. our pension has already been cut and that's another thing we're out here disputing.

johnhannibalsmith
11-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Don't worry, Mosite thinks unprofitable business due in part to high labor costs deserve to go out of business. Except GM and USPS.

ArlJim78
11-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Do you have any evidence that this is so? Wait, I forgot, conservatives don't do evidence,

Let me present some evidence. I tired to find stats on bankruptcies of union firms vs. non union firms. I could not, but I did find statistics for Right to Work States vs. union states.
http://www.abiworld.org/AM/AMTemplate.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=50488&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

Numbers are for 2006
Bankruptcies in R2W states: 9400
Bankruptcies in Union states: 11679

Before you start jumping up and down shouting, "I told you so," a few additional facts.
R2W states have 40% of the population of the United States.
Union states have 60%. That by itself neutralizes the fact that Union states have 55% of the bankruptcies.

Also, not every company in the union states is a union company. So, unless you can provide me with verifiable statistics to prove your point I am going to call it hogwash. Another one of those "facts" that you "know" is true because you want it to be true so badly.
Its my opinion, name a healthy unionized company and maybe I'll change my mind. based on my direct experience I've never seen a company do well with a union. but I have seen them run companies into the ground and out of existence with their greed. show me a unionized company and to me its either bankrupt or headed towards bankruptcy or bailout.

you're one to talk about hogwash and facts, given the number of topics and facts thrown at you that you ignore or contort yourself into a pretzel trying to defend. seriously, you have no credibility with me simply because you agree 100% of the time with democrats/unions/Obama/etc. that makes you an unserious person to discuss issues with. its not a search for the truth with you, it's always only to push your union/communist agenda no matter what.

boxcar
11-13-2012, 06:07 PM

So, tell me, Mosty, what happens to ALL the wages and benefits of the terminated employees. Is it far better to lose all the pie than just some?

Boxcar
P.S. Economic conditions, btw, stink and will continue to decline.

johnhannibalsmith
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
So, tell me, Mosty, what happens to ALL the wages and benefits of the terminated employees. Is it far better to lose all the pie than just some?

And then you have the poor Teamsters to consider also...

NJ Stinks
11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Its my opinion, name a healthy unionized company and maybe I'll change my mind. based on my direct experience I've never seen a company do well with a union. but I have seen them run companies into the ground and out of existence with their greed. show me a unionized company and to me its either bankrupt or headed towards bankruptcy or bailout.

The NFL, the NBA, and Major League Baseball for starters. Those employees would not even dream of going back to their non-union days.

Gee, I wonder why.

elysiantraveller
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
The NFL, the NBA, and Major League Baseball for starters. Those employees would not even dream of going back to their non-union days.

Gee, I wonder why.

This one always makes me laugh.

The unions in professional sports are unique because their members are replaceable. Hell even the referees aren't replaceable.

You are trying to equate the average worker to a 1 in 10,000 professional athlete...

It's laughable.

johnhannibalsmith
11-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Gee, I wonder why.

Good example... but glad you omitted the NHLPA from the list... :D

mostpost
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
did you find any data on a per state union vs non union in the same state.
I have not been able to. I'm sure it is out there, but I can't find it.

NJ Stinks
11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
This one always makes me laugh.

The unions in professional sports are unique because their members are replaceable. Hell even the referees aren't replaceable.

You are trying to equate the average worker to a 1 in 10,000 professional athlete...

It's laughable.

Not really. The justification for unionizing in the first place is the same for any group of employees.

The Writers Guild Of America is not exactly bringing down the entertainment industry and you can't tell me that their members are not replaceable. UPS is unionized and they make a bundle. GE makes a fortune and they have union employees.

Robert Fischer
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Employers whining about employee unions, is as silly as employees whining about employers using capital as leverage in their hiring practices.

We have a system, deal with the reality of it.

HUSKER55
11-13-2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/12/Right-to-work-states-saw-job-creation

I did find this page. It seems that 72%of obama's job creation was from Right To Work states and population wise it was 40% of total population. Of the 2.59 million jobs created 1.86 million were developed in these 22 states.

mostpost
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Not really. The justification for unionizing in the first place is the same for any group of employees.

The Writers Guild Of America is not exactly bringing down the entertainment industry and you can't tell me that their members are not replaceable. UPS is unionized and they make a bundle. GE makes a fortune and they have union employees.
Add to that AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) Kroger is unionized as is Southwest Airlines, the most successful airline company. Safeway stores are unionized. Costco-the anti WalMart is unionized in many of its stores and operation.
Other union companies include CSX, Alaska Air, US Steel, IBM, Boeing, Disney, Kraft and General Mills.

Maybe the problem with some of the less successful union companies is not the unions but the management. Maybe Southwest is successful because its management treats its workers fairly and American is failing because its management is incompetent.
GM paid laid off employees permanently at full Salary. What management idiot agreed to that. I can understand paying them for a specified period or if they are going to be rehired, but how can anyone think it is a good idea to pay people forever for doing nothing. I don't know how this policy began, but I doubt it was something the union would have called a strike over.

A similar situation occurred at USPS shortly after I was hired. As usual negotiations failed to produce a contract so the matter was sent to binding arbitration-as required by law. Imagine our surprise when the arbitrator came back with the ruling that employees with over five years service could not be laid off. Surprise because that was not one of the items we were negotiating or asking for.

badcompany
11-13-2012, 08:04 PM

The reason why SAG and and the Writer's Guild can survive is because Actors and Writers are willing to tolerate a 90% unemployment rate while they wait for their big break.

Let me explain this Demand Curve thing to you one more time. There is an inverse relationship between price and demand: price goes up, demand goes down. This applies to Labor, as well. When Unions push up wages beyond market rates, employers demand less of said labor.

elysiantraveller
11-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Yes really...

If you want to cherry pick successful union companies go right ahead but drawing any sort of equivalency to a snack food producer and a sports entertainment star is laughable.

A snack food producer is infinitely more replaceable than anybody on a NFL field. Sports unions are powerful because the members can't be replaced its that simple...

Look at the referee lockout as exhibit A.

JustRalph
11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Well at some point Hostess Brands gave em' increases while the bread rose... now that the bread won't rise don't you feel that for the sake of ALL.. that sharing the lean times to weather thru could be a fare thing. But no you think the companies only exist for the sake of the workers. When they have to start working retail ( Welcome to Walmart ) they'll be taking a real step forward... :lol: .

So I hope you enjoy your imported ChoCho and Luzy Wo's.

Good post! Love the names for the imported Twinkies and Ho Ho's :lol:

It seems that the company agrees with you.

Tell me... who much will those union workers be making NOW?

Therein lies the only needed fact. They are now making 100% less

overlayparlay
11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Delivery drivers in my area(Des Moines) are saying they may be out of product to deliver by Friday. Shelves in the store are already pretty slim pickings. I feel bad for these guys cause it's so close to the holidays, I know many of them personally and a majority of them have families to take care of. I stand to benefit from this as Wonder is a competitor of mine, I will gain space and in turn will make more money for my business. Just wish it didn't have to happen with people losing their jobs.

Tom
11-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I don't see why that idiot company didn't just print more money to hand out to the union boys.

I mean, isn't that how the REAL world works?

I feel bad for these guys cause it's so close to the holidays, I know many of them personally and a majority of them have families to take care of.

too bad the greedy bastards who walked out never bothered to consider the effect on other people. This is why no use at all for GD unions. More people are better off without them than with them.

Tom
11-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Therein lies the only needed fact. They are now making 100% less

Finally, they area being paid what they are worth. :lol::lol:

I hope they all end up being put out on the street. By the curb, with the rest of the trash.

badcompany
11-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't worry, Mosite thinks unprofitable business due in part to high labor costs deserve to go out of business. Except GM and USPS.

I tell ya, that joint hasn't been the same since Mostie decided to hang up his Postal Shorts.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-15/u-s-postal-service-on-tightrope-loses-15-9-billion.html

The U.S. Postal Service said its net loss last year widened to $15.9 billion, more than the $15 billion it had projected, as mail volume continued to drop, falling 5 percent.

Without action by Congress, the service will run out of cash on Oct. 15, 2013, after it makes a required workers compensation payment to the U.S. Labor Department and before revenue typically jumps with holiday-season mailing, Chief Financial Officer Joe Corbett said today.