PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have your worst team lose or your favorite team win?

Zippy Chippy
11-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm getting older and becoming miserable but I find watching teams like the Jets and Notre Dame lose (hopefully they will lose this year) far more enjoyable than watching my teams win. The games I watch the most are more for the teams that I completely despise.

PaceAdvantage
11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I can honestly say I've never watched a Mets game hoping they would lose (unless they were playing the Yankees, but then again, I almost never watch a mets game unless they are playing the Yankees).

I don't think I've ever watched a Red Sox game hoping they would lose (unless they were playing the Yankees or unless the Yankees needed them to lose when involved in a pennant race).

I can honestly say I've never watched a NY Rangers game hoping they would lose (unless they were playing the Islanders).

I could go on and on...but you get my drift... :lol:

cj
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
If my team is good enough, it doesn't matter what the other teams do. I enjoy a Thunder win 100x more than a Spurs or Heat loss.

Robert Fischer
11-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I can honestly say that I'd like to see the Heat lose this year. :cool:

Stillriledup
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I do really enjoy rooting against certain teams, but i would have to say that my teams winning is better.

TJDave
11-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm anti-fan so they're all my worst teams. I especially enjoy rooting against whomever everyone else likes. The only time I'm at all interested is when I have a bet down.

castaway01
11-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Yankees winning is best, but I do enjoy a good Red Sox loss. Other sports, just want my teams to win.

Dahoss2002
11-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Maybe I'm getting older and becoming miserable but I find watching teams like the Jets and Notre Dame lose (hopefully they will lose this year) far more enjoyable than watching my teams win. The games I watch the most are more for the teams that I completely despise.
:eek: You have a twisted mind young man :lol: As much as I dislike USC, I hope they crush Notre Dame. :jump:

thaskalos
11-13-2012, 12:38 PM
I have come to realize that I would MUCH rather watch my least favorite team lose (and my most hated players struggle) than see my favorite team thrive.

I realized this watching the Philadelphia Eagles and Mike Vick...

mountainman
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Your question plays into a theory of mine about the nfl-its phenomenal status in american culture is built on hate. A fan can love just one team, but that love engenders hate for other franchises which builds, festers, and branches out to create passionate interest in numerous games. Fanaticism for one's favorite team is proudly spotlighted to publicize the league and sell merchandise-but tv ratings are driven by hate.

In fact, I sometimes wonder if the nfl might someday acknolwledge and fan the flames of all that negativity. Hate has always existed, but with the explosion of cable tv and social media, the ways and potential for the league to harness, stimulate, and feed from it might be limitless.

rastajenk
11-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I can't identify with any of that. I've been a sports fan in general, and of the NFL specifically, for most of my 56 years, and it's never been motivated by hate.

Zydeco
11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Your question plays into a theory of mine about the nfl-its phenomenal status in american culture is built on hate. A fan can love just one team, but that love engenders hate for other franchises which builds, festers, and branches out to create passionate interest in numerous games. Fanaticism for one's favorite team is proudly spotlighted to publicize the league and sell merchandise-but tv ratings are driven by hate.

In fact, I sometimes wonder if the nfl might someday acknolwledge and fan the flames of all that negativity. Hate has always existed, but with the explosion of cable tv and social media, the ways and potential for the league to harness, stimulate, and feed from it might be limitless.

This why the Dallas Cowboys are on all the time. Half watching want them to win....the other half watching want them to lose. But they are all watching! They get big numbers when the Cowboys are on.

Dahoss2002
11-14-2012, 02:37 AM
This why the Dallas Cowboys are on all the time. Half watching want them to win....the other half watching want them to lose. But they are all watching! They get big numbers when the Cowboys are on.
I'm not a fan of the Cowboys or a hater and I completely agree with you. That is why they deserve the title, "America's Team"