PDA

View Full Version : Discipline

098poi
11-11-2012, 09:03 AM
In the past year or so someone posted a great definition of discipline and the rewards it can yield. It wasn't specifically related to racing but life in general. I tried doing a search but that word is mentioned a lot. If anyone remembers feel free to re-post. Thanks!

thaskalos
11-11-2012, 12:32 PM
"Discipline...it's the only God that wealth and power bow to. To the majority, it resembles a ball and chain that shackles; to the minority, it's a throne. To most, it's as elusive as a disappearing mist; to a few, it's their finest outer garment. The forefather of discipline is pain, adversity and failure. It is lessons learned and experiences that taught. It flies on wings of steel, an unalterable course that gives full meaning to that destination called life. Its pathways are as straight as an arrow. its impact is as sure as an arrow to the heart.

At its dawning, discipline is rooted in pain; yet, by the evening its reward is pleasure. Those who reject discipline, accept the momentary pleasure of being undisciplined, while not knowing that their pain arrives in the evening, remaining there as a constant companion.

Before you decide to gamble, go make an unassailable covenant with discipline. To do so will make you an unbeatable foe; the hunter, not the hunted; the stalker, not the prey...And know this! Bravado in the heart of a gambler without discipline is nothing more than an application for slavery...a resume submitted by the foolish."

Juel E. Anderson -- from the book...POKER, SEX & DYING

These words hang on my office wall...where I have admired them for over eight years. Live long and prosper, Juel E. Anderson...wherever you are. :ThmbUp:

098poi
11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
That's it, thanks. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
"Discipline...it's the only God that wealth and power bow to. To the majority, it resembles a ball and chain that shackles; to the minority, it's a throne. To most, it's as elusive as a disappearing mist; to a few, it's their finest outer garment. The forefather of discipline is pain, adversity and failure. It is lessons learned and experiences that taught. It flies on wings of steel, an unalterable course that gives full meaning to that destination called life. Its pathways are as straight as an arrow. its impact is as sure as an arrow to the heart.

At its dawning, discipline is rooted in pain; yet, by the evening its reward is pleasure. Those who reject discipline, accept the momentary pleasure of being undisciplined, while not knowing that their pain arrives in the evening, remaining there as a constant companion.

Before you decide to gamble, go make an unassailable covenant with discipline. To do so will make you an unbeatable foe; the hunter, not the hunted; the stalker, not the prey...And know this! Bravado in the heart of a gambler without discipline is nothing more than an application for slavery...a resume submitted by the foolish."

These words hang on my office wall...where I have admired them for over eight years. Live long and prosper, Juel E. Anderson...wherever you are. :ThmbUp: That's some quote...I'm not surprised it's hanging on your wall...it should be framed! :ThmbUp:

Exotic1
11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Thask.

thaskalos
11-11-2012, 06:17 PM
That's some quote...I'm not surprised it's hanging on your wall...it should be framed! :ThmbUp:
It is framed...and it has comforted me thru many a sleepless night. :)

Stillriledup
11-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Thats great stuff, every word of it true.

Robert Fischer
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM

These words hang on my office wall...where I have admired them for over eight years. Live long and prosper, Juel E. Anderson...wherever you are. :ThmbUp:

love it

HUSKER55
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I am going to make a sign and frame it for myself. Landlady has a caligraphy program and she turns out nice stuff.

Thanks!

raybo
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Pretty much says it all doesn't it?

The great thing about discipline, is that once you attain it, and combine it with patience and consistency, you don't need it hung on the wall as a reminder anymore, you'll always have it, it will always rear it's head when you need it the most.