PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Expo

mudnturf
01-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I know many of you had a great time together in '03 at Saratoga.
Don't know when you're planning your '04 event, but I thought you might be interested in knowing about a Horse Racing / Technology expo being planned in the Spa for August 2 & 3.

For more info go to www.horsetechnology.com.

highnote
01-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Couldn't connect to the link -- said no site configured at this address. I suppose that's the same as a 404 error?

Dave Schwartz
01-27-2004, 10:54 PM
http://www.horsetechnology.com/

BillW
01-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Lee,

Plans are well under way. As a matter of fact, we have a seperate forum dedicated to the planning and discussion:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42

Hope to see you there,

Bill

mudnturf
01-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Looks like you'll be there Aug.21-Aug.30.
I'll be there Aug.21 & 22.
Where do you guys "hang out" during the races?
I'd love to stop by and say "hello".
"PA" and I go back a long way!

highnote
01-27-2004, 11:41 PM
David,
Thanks for the correct link. I have my screen in small resolution mode and couldn't see that extra period. Should've been wearing my reading glasses. Must be getting old.
Regards,
John

BillW
01-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by mudnturf

Lee,

In the festival tent out by the paddock. We will be online from there so contacting us will be easy. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Bill

andicap
01-28-2004, 11:26 AM

Hey, Lee,
as one of the people who knew you before you became "famous," I feel honored (LOL). You were there on that day at AQU when PA's software picked 7 races. MaxSpa was there too I recall with Charlie Mone maybe. Maybe Dave C?

Lee was also on the original Prodigy board in the early 90s, the best horse board ever. (except maybe for this one.) Jerry Bailey even contributed a couple of times, and John DaSilva,now the NY Post racing capper was a regular.
Let me tell you, whether John's picks win or not, he knows horse racing and handicapping. John was blackballed from Harvey Pack's nightly show when he threw his program at camera -- Harvey's trademark move.

I remember signing onto Prodigy in 1992 at 2400 baud and sitting at my PC for over an hour s-l-o-w-l-y going through all the mesages.
(Where did all those people go)?)

andy

mudnturf
01-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Andy,
I DO recall Charlie Mone. Never met him (so I don't think I was with you that day at AQU), but remember hearing that he was not in the best physical health.
I see Pat Calloway's name now and then.
And I introduced myself to Pat Rich (now Mrs. Bill Turner,Jr.) in the paddock one day.
I wonder what the "wunderkind", last name Lerner, is doing these days. I never knew when he was serious and when he was joking....if ever!
I just don't remember many of the other names, although I'd know 'em if I heard 'em.

JimG
01-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by andicap

I remember signing onto Prodigy in 1992 at 2400 baud and sitting at my PC for over an hour s-l-o-w-l-y going through all the mesages.
(Where did all those people go)?)
andy

Some of us are still here. I can recall many years ago calling in sick so I could hang out at home and talk on the Prodigy Board. Now is that sick or what? I liked the fact that the real names of people were used. I remember all the names you mentioned...I'll throw a couple more out...Michael Starr...Andy Cylke

JimG

PS...I used to see Dave C posting at Derby List but have not in a long time. He always liked Charles Town as I recall.

JimG
01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Andy,
I DO recall Charlie Mone. Never met him (so I don't think I was with you that day at AQU), but remember hearing that he was not in the best physical health.

I recall Charlie Mone's name as well. There was also some guy named Jeffrey..can't recall his last name that was very opinionated. Pat Callaway has a site at www.quarterpole.com as info.

JimG

mudnturf
01-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Jim,
Michael Starr (NOT his real name) frequented Bridgeport (CT) OTB,
and passed away about 5 years ago.
I remember meeeting Dave Cullather. He was from Maryland, but I have no idea where he is now.
Andy Cylke is a respected handicapper on the West Coast.

Dave Schwartz
01-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Okay, here is the skinny.

Sorry guys, but it is not for us. It is primarily for the "racing industry."

There is a 30-minute video on the website that states what the Expo is actually about. Within the first minute, the unofficial title is stated as "How to Marry Technology to the Equine Industry."

It is about presenting your company to owners, breeders, veterinarians, race tracks etc.

When I asked if there would be any handicapping symposiums, the response was something like "I am sure we will have something."

The lady I spoke with, Nadine, is very nice, highly informative and open minded. I have suggested to her that a "technological handicapping expo" would be a good idea for the future.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

JimG
01-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Lee,

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting my Dave's mixed up although I do remember Dave Cullather. Andy posts on the Del Mar Turf club forum as AndyC. From reading his posts, he is as direct as ever..LOL I always respected his handicapping. I knew Michael Starr had passed away...such a tragedy. I was not aware that was not his real name. I thought everyone on Prodigy had to use real names (with the "A" id)

Another that used to post there was Ellis Starr of Trackmaster fame and Pat Bove who now works for TVG. I recently exchanged e-mails with Pat who fondly remembers the old Prodigy days.

Jim

mudnturf
01-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Dave,
The press release has this paragraph:
"Horse Technology 2004 is expected to feature seminars, conferences, demonstrations, and exhibitors all tied to the emerging influence and unlimited potential that technology offers to trainers, owners, breeders, vets, jockeys, racetrack personnel, BETTORS, and FANS".

So they must have something in mind. Perhaps if and when they hear from other handicappers and vendors of handicapping technology, their program plans might change.

Suff
01-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Last year I did something with mostly Horse players from this Board. I'm giving it another whirl this year..

I've been busy and have'nt really done anything in my Saratoga Forum in a couple of weeks. But Its full steam ahead, bigger and better in 2004. Matter of fact... I have the Tent. Officially. I got that confirmation about a week ago. I hope to update my Saratoga Forum This weekend, with that Information, and a few other things I'm working on and have planned for this summer.
But for the record.. I do officially have 36 seats (6 tables) for the posted days. 8-21-04 to 8-30-04. The Bama to the Travers, Graded Stakes week.

This Expo looks good... but very different from what we do.

2004's trip will be great and our groups enjoyment and pleasure is the law of the land when we roll into town.

Maxspa
01-28-2004, 05:07 PM
All,
I can't imagine Suff with a computer,handicapping program, race printouts etc. sitting at the table engrossed with his data for more than a few seconds tops! A gregarious guy like Suff, it'll never happen!
Old Prodigy days, add Bill Zettler to the list. According to the AIO board by his own admission, he is a full time sports bettor!
Maxspa

sam i am
01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
http://www.drf.com/expo/2004/schedule.html

Looks like all who's who's of handicapping will be there all of the old timers(no offense, Lee) I wonder if there will be any new idea's. Any one going to be there maybe you could give a overview of anything new.

David

Suff
01-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sam i am
http://www.drf.com/expo/2004/schedule.html

Looks like all who's who's of handicapping will be there all of the old timers(no offense, Lee) I wonder if there will be any new idea's. Any one going to be there maybe you could give a overview of anything new.

David

Different Expo dave... wer'e talkin the 1 in Saratoga this summer... Your talking Vegas next month..

BTW... I had two EARTHKLINK e-mails Kickback to me tonight..Including yours.. Your e-mail ok?

Suff
01-28-2004, 08:36 PM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

dnb820 on 1/28/2004 7:26 PM
450 earthlink.net backlog too large to queue [domain may be overloaded or down]

Stuball on 1/28/2004 7:26 PM
450 earthlink.net backlog too large to queue [domain may be overloaded or down]

sam i am
01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Yes, I know it was the Vegas one. Just thought this was more in line what players are looking for.

I don't have any limits on my e-mail.

try again maybe my email was full.

Thanks
David

Let me know if it come back again.

Suff
01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by sam i am
Yes, I know it was the Vegas one. Just thought this was more in line what players are looking for.

Its a POP-UP at thier site...and its in there e-mail newsletter...

a Few guys from here are going so I think we'll get a thorough report.

I now see your headline...acknowledging Las Vegas... I did'nt see that... I don't always.. my goof.

I resent the e-mail....

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I heard about Lerner a couple of weeks ago....I think it was John DaSilva that mentioned that Lerner was at the recent Aqueduct Handicapping Contest.....details very fuzzy, and this all could be wrong, but I think that's what I heard.

Boy is this thread off topic....

yak merchant
01-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I might just have to attend that Vegas expo, just to see what happens when Freidman and Brown get on stage with each other. Beyer might want to look into wearing a Kevlar vest.

andicap
01-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Darrell Lerner made it to Vegas for the National Handicapping tourney and finished 80th or so I saw on the DRF website where they posted the entire field.

Tennessee
02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Is there any chance we'll see you under the tent again at "Saratoga South" this September?

DLerner
02-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey guys. I didn't know this board existed - I just discovered this topic randomly when it came up in a search. A "wunderkind" huh? :D Thanks lol.

What am I up to? Well, here's the short version...
Law degree, don't practice...founded & ran a sports internet company - that lasted for several years. I actually created the DRF/NTRA Breeders' Cup Fantasy Challenge a couple years ago and we were the back end for that game. Now I'm in the early stages of a new startup in the online dating arena, among other endeavors. Still live in NY.

I follow racing still, but not nearly as passionately as I used to. The game has gotten very frustrating for me for a number of reasons. As someone pointed out, I did finish 4th in the Aqueduct Fall Handicapping Contest and qualify for the finals in Vegas. I was in 15th after Day 1 but got off to a slow start on Day 2 and played bombs the rest of the day and finished ~80th when obviously none of them hit. Very very frustrating b/c on Day 1 I finished 2nd with 26-1, 13-1 & 12-1. Two of them by a neck and a head. They win and who knows... I still talk to DaSilva occasionally. He interviewed me for a few mins on the OTB Channel TV show before the contest so I guess that's where my name was heard...

I don't go to the track too often although I try to make it up to Saratoga for a weekend every year. Still a speed handicapper of course! Gave up on sheets several years ago when they went from alternative to mainstream.

Anyway - there's the cliff-notes version of "Darrell in his 20's!" I still post on the aol racing board from time to time btw. For those I knew from Prodigy, let me know how you are and what you're up to. I hope everyone is well. Man, what's it been? 10 years almost?

- D

Andy,
And I introduced myself to Pat Rich (now Mrs. Bill Turner,Jr.) in the paddock one day.
I wonder what the "wunderkind", last name Lerner, is doing these days. I never knew when he was serious and when he was joking....if ever!
I just don't remember many of the other names, although I'd know 'em if I heard 'em.

andicap
02-27-2004, 12:54 PM
The D-Man an Internet entrepreneur. Should have known.

Last time I ran into you was at Belmont when you were still in school. You had some babe on your arm. Must have sweet-talked her plenty for her to go out with a mutt like you.

I'm writing for the Hollywood Reporter now on the TV business and have a family, so playing the races is tough. Get out to Belmont on occasion and of course Saratoga every year but no more Saturdays at Champs with Mike.

Lost track of most of the old crowd, but it sure was a lot of fun while it lasted. On this board, you might have been kicked off after three weeks!

:D

So what speed figures are you using?

Hope you stick around some for laughs .....

mudnturf
03-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Coupla things.......

1. Re: the Expo in Saratoga - August 3 & 4 - I learned today that it will be dedicated both to horsemen (owners, trainers, breeders, vets, etc) AND horseplayers, with the emphasis on technology in both areas. There will be general seminars, break-out seminars, and vendors renting space to demonstrate their products.

2. Someone earlier mentioned Ellis Starr. He has been at the Kentucky Downs meeting in September of '03 and '02. A true gentleman. I always enjoy talking to him!