PDA

View Full Version : This is some brouhaha!! Verge out as CEO of SA

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
A rather simple case of another Stronach executive leaving rather abruptly becomes a little less mundane when examined a tad more closely...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/74363/verge-out-as-ceo-at-santa-anita?source=rss

Willman said he had no information on a rumor that Gene Simmons, front man for the band Kiss, is in line to replace Verge. Simmons, through another company, previously helped market an energy drink launched by Stronach that failed as a commercial enterprise.I mean COME ON...who saw that coming? Even if it's simply a rumor... :lol:Verge was part of a group that acquired the multiple grade I winner Richard's Kid a week prior to this year's Pacific Classic (gr. I). The episode became infamous in Southern California racing circles when he traded insults with Jill Baffert, the wife of trainer Bob Baffert, who had previously trained Richard's Kid, during the post position draw party for the Pacific Classic a few days later.The free-wheeling Verge came into the Santa Anita CEO position as a complete outsider promising to "shake things up."

He resisted accepting a formal title at Santa Anita and preferred to be known as "The Guy."

"We've got a great game but we've got to put entertainment back in the business. We've got to get racing back in the mainstream. That's what I want to do," Verge said at the time.Maybe this is bigmack's true identity? Who knows...I could see him walking around SA, wanting to be known as "The Guy." :lol: :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 12:08 PM
...Maybe this is bigmack's true identity? Who knows...I could see him walking around SA, wanting to be known as "The Guy." :lol: :lol:

He already has a moniker.

http://www.brandipassante.net/wp-content/uploads/massupload/588714barry-weiss-opening-credits-aande.jpg

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Working for Frank is the greatest job in the world. He signs you up for a fat long term deal and cans you in less than a year. How do you get that gig?

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Working for Frank is the greatest job in the world. He signs you up for a fat long term deal and cans you in less than a year. How do you get that gig?To be fair, it seems "The Guy" left of his own volition. Nowhere in the article does it imply he was "canned."

"What we were told was that this job was pretty much all-consuming and he (Verge) just had too many other things going on to continue doing it," Willman said.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I guess all those other guys that left with him were too busy as well. Knowing Frank like I do he was canned.

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey guys, I don't know that Frank Stronach has much say in Magna anymore.

He was given a $1 Billion payout to release his hold on the board and stepped down yesterday as a Director.

Frank is now 80 and returning to Austria to help with a new political party that has a goal of getting Austria out of the European Economic Union.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1284666--frank-stronach-steps-down-as-director-of-magna

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I guess all those other guys that left with him were too busy as well. Knowing Frank like I do he was canned.You do realize you're posting anonymously on an internet message board going by the name "usedtolovetvg".

Pardon me if I ask again "who are you?" before putting too much stock into your claims.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I thought anonymity was one of the attractions of online boards.

anotherCAfan
11-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Dear Frank,

Is Gene Simmons going to do a better job than Verge? Or will he also upset the oldtimers....

I am upset to see Verge go. He brought a lot of publicity to the sport on the Tim Conway Jr. show. (I'd imagine TCJ still will talk about racing every now and then since he loves the sport.)

Even though Verge is busy with his rental business, I don't see him choosing to step down. I could be wrong though.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I thought anonymity was one of the attractions of online boards.It is, but when an anonymous person makes certain types of claims, they can't automatically be accepted as fact since nobody is held accountable (other than me of course, as owner and operator) for whatever fallout may or may not occur if indeed said claims are NOT fact.

cj
11-10-2012, 01:45 PM
I thought anonymity was one of the attractions of online boards.

Only for people with something to hide.

Valuist
11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey guys, I don't know that Frank Stronach has much say in Magna anymore.

He was given a $1 Billion payout to release his hold on the board and stepped down yesterday as a Director.

Frank is now 80 and returning to Austria to help with a new political party that has a goal of getting Austria out of the European Economic Union.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1284666--frank-stronach-steps-down-as-director-of-magna

Flat tax, cutting gov't spending and getting out of the Euro zone. Somebody over there (actually here) gets it.

Striker
11-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Verge is either the 9th or 10th Executive hired by Stronach to run Santa Anita since 1998. That should tell you a good deal about working for Stronach.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 02:31 PM
It is, but when an anonymous person makes certain types of claims, they can't automatically be accepted as fact since nobody is held accountable (other than me of course, as owner and operator) for whatever fallout may or may not occur if indeed said claims are NOT fact.

You are correct. We are all privy to certain facts and information, some of which is verifiable and some of which is not. Most of what I say, though it may be factual, should only be interpreted as my opinion. I will try to preface my thoughts by, "I believe" or "In my opinion", in the future and thereby proudly retain my anonymity.

Tom
11-10-2012, 02:55 PM
They change CEOs almost as often as they change the main track.

nijinski
11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I see paint your face day coming to the track.

anotherCAfan
11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I am upset to see Verge go. He brought a lot of publicity to the sport on the Tim Conway Jr. show. (I'd imagine TCJ still will talk about racing every now and then since he loves the sport.)
If I could edit my post earlier...

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_21967304/ceo-mark-verge-out-head-santa-anita-park

KFI-AM's Tim Conway Jr., who had become an on-air advocate for Santa Anita and horse racing, said he was saddened by the move. "He was the best guy to run that track," Conway said. "I won't do anything for those (expletive deleted) ever again."

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Doesn't sound like Conway is under the impression that The Guy simply walked.

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Doesn't sound like Conway is under the impression that The Guy simply walked.

Are you?

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Are you?

Not really, but quite honestly, I haven't given it more than the forty seconds worth of thought that developed as a result of reading this thread.

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Not really, but quite honestly, I haven't given it more than the forty seconds worth of thought that developed as a result of reading this thread.

So you think he just quit?

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Get back in your coma.

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Get back in your coma.

You're avoiding the question!! :D

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
You're avoiding the question!! :D

No, you can't read. Asked and answered, your honor.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
So you think he just quit?Honestly,does it make a difference either way?

I have no problem accepting the official line. It could be he quit and all those other folks quit with him in a sign of solidarity.

Or maybe they were all fired. Who cares either way?

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
No, you can't read. Asked and answered, your honor.

You said "not really" and to me, that was kind of not as good as yes or no. At any rate, PA has it right, it doesnt really matter all that much if he was fired or quit, it is what it is at this point.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Who cares either way?One might say, "Well PA, if that's how you feel, why create this thread in the first place?"

And to that I have two words for you:

GENE SIMMONS

:lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:54 PM
One might say, "Well PA, if that's how you feel, why create this thread in the first place?"

And to that I have two words for you:

GENE SIMMONS

:lol: :lol:

Wow, that's HOT. :lol:

I have to shamefully admit that i was a fan of his reality show and watched it from time to time. :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
11-10-2012, 06:55 PM
You said "not really" and to me, that was kind of not as good as yes or no....

Well considering I followed up "not really" with a fairly explicit explanation of why my opinion can't be "as good as yes or no", you're just going to have to suck it up and accept it. :kiss:

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Well considering I followed up "not really" with a fairly explicit explanation of why my opinion can't be "as good as yes or no", you're just going to have to suck it up and accept it. :kiss:

Darn. ;)

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm sorry but as one of the 99% I always find this stuff fascinating. It never ceases to amaze me how those in the upper stratosphere operate. In my last job, the official party line for the departure of a high ranking official was always the same. "He/she has decided to leave to pursue other interests. We thank him/her for all their years of splendid service to the company and wish them well in their future endeavors." I believe most of us knew the real reason for all the departures.

Given Stronach's history with the revolving door of SA bosses, I enjoy to speculate. Isn't that what these boards are for?

JustRalph
11-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Kiss Army Baby! Now Recruiting at Santa Anita!!!

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Given Stronach's history with the revolving door of SA bosses, I enjoy to speculate.

I doubt Stronach knew anything about it. He has other fish to fry.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Belinda seems to be made from the same mold. I believe she is now officially calling the shots.

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Belinda seems to be made from the same mold. I believe she is now officially calling the shots.

She was VP of Magna until 2010, when Frank got paid out.

As far as I know she now heads a charitable foundation and is no longer involved with Magna.

What makes you so sure that she is now officially calling the shots or are you just making stuff up here?

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
http://www.belindastronach.com/about.php

I believe this is up to date but I could be wrong.

I may not always be right but I never just make stuff up.

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.belindastronach.com/about.php

I believe this is up to date but I could be wrong.

I may not always be right but I never just make stuff up.

I don't believe that is up to date:

"On December 21, 2010, it was reported that Stronach was leaving Magna effective December 31 of that year.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belinda_Stronach#cite_note-Belinda_Stronach_quits_Magna.2C-1)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belinda_Stronach

The bottom line is that you have cast aspersions about the Stronach family, with little or no factual evidence to back you.

Like him or dislike him, Frank arrived in Canada with the shirt on his back in the mid 1950's.

He essentially is a self-made man starting from a small garage and building a business empire.

Socially, Frank and Belinda are not my cup of tea, but I have a lot of respect for what Frank and his family have accomplished.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 10:26 PM
The dates that you show are prior to The Stronach Group's formation and that company's acquisition of Magna's racing assets.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63820/stronach-group-takes-over-racing-properties

I have no problem with your admiration of the Stronach family. I am not so enamored. I believe that he has not operated his race track empire in a manner that is in the best interests of racing. I think his vision of what racing should be is flawed. The fact that he has gone through so many Santa Anita execs makes me wonder about his decision making process in regards to racetrack ownership. I have talked to him in a professional capacity and was not impressed.

I also believe that he could still be calling the shots through his daughter.

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 10:41 PM
The dates that you show are prior to The Stronach Group's formation and that company's acquisition of Magna's racing assets.

I also believe that he could still be calling the shots through his daughter.

I concede that you could be right.:ThmbUp:

From what I can determine a new company called The Stronach Group bought the entertainment (race tracks and gambling) from Magna.

Nevertheless, the Stronach family has provided employment to thousands of people over many decades.

They have also donated considerable amounts to charitable causes.

While Frank is an ego-centric "prick," and with him it's "my way or the highway," I still believe that neither he nor Belinda should be knocked regarding this issue unless you have factual evidence of what actually took place.

cj
11-10-2012, 10:45 PM
While Frank is an ego-centric "prick," and with him it's "my way or the highway," I still believe that neither he nor Belinda should be knocked unless you have factual evidence of what actually took place.

If that were the standard for posting, this place and all others on the internet would have tumbleweeds rolling through.

usedtolovetvg
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I like these boards. They let joes like me speculate, have some fun and, from time to time, learn something. I don't think I'm damaging Frank or Belinda's reputation by what I am saying. Given his 'track' record and as you say, "Frank is an ego-centric "prick," and with him it's "my way or the highway," I am speculating that he had a major role in the Verge decision making process.

I have never been a fan of the way he runs his race tracks. I do believe he loves the sport and there can be no denying the huge investment he has made in it.

Greyfox
11-10-2012, 11:02 PM
I do believe he loves the sport and there can be no denying the huge investment he has made in it.

Yes.

The Stronach family does love the sport and they do have a huge investment in horse racing.

In fact, it was disgruntled shareholders in the auto parts side of Magna who griped long and hard that the company, as it was, subsidized the horse racing side heavily, and Frank's personal "sandbox."
Ultimately, that led to the handsome buyout that Frank received.
His family will still receive a % (millions) from the auto parts side for years and years to come.

Greyfox
11-11-2012, 12:56 AM
I like these boards. They let joes like me speculate, have some fun and, from time to time, learn something..

Yes.

Through our exchanges I learned a lot too.

I did not know of The Stronach Group.

Sorry that I forgot to thank you for that.

Thank you usedtolovetvg. :ThmbUp:

tucker6
11-11-2012, 07:55 AM
From the 9 November Paulick report:

A horse owner and close friend of 2012 Kentucky Derby-winning trainer Doug O'Neill, Verge drew criticism from the California Horse Racing Board at a July meeting for his planned marketing of the Santa Anita fall meet, much of which centered around O'Neill (including an O'Neill bobblehead giveaway), who served a lengthy suspension this summer for a medication violation. Verge then had a verbal altercation with the wife of trainer Bob Baffert at the post position draw for Del Mar's Pacific Classic, days after Verge and partners bought the horse Richard's Kid and moved him from Baffert to O'Neill's barn. That altercation, insiders said, doomed Verge's chances of making it past the fall meet as Santa Anita's CEO.

Department heads were notified of Verge’s departure during a Thursday meeting.

Also leaving, according to sources, are a number of people hired by Verge, including Jimmy Dunne, who was named Santa Anita’s Chief Creative Officer and wrote a song, “My California,” that was played daily and widely panned by anyone who heard it. Cedd Moses, a cocktail impresario in the Los Angeles area brought on as beverage consultant, is also leaving, as is media consultant and director of sponsorship Damien Lewis, among others.

George Haines, the track’s longtime general manager, is expected to run Santa Anita for the near term. There is no word on whether Gene Simmons, the reality TV show and rock star who has been frontman for the band KISS for decades, will be brought on-board as a marketing consultant or track executive. In an Oct. 18 article, the Paulick Report first reported (http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/santa-anita-on-verge-of-another-change/) on the likelihood that Verge would soon be leaving and that Simmons had been engaged in high-level meetings concerning Santa Anita with Frank Stronach’s daughter, Belinda, and others from the corporate office of the Stronach Group.

Greyfox
11-11-2012, 09:23 AM
In an Oct. 18 article, the Paulick Report first reported (http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/santa-anita-on-verge-of-another-change/) on the likelihood that Verge would soon be leaving and that Simmons had been engaged in high-level meetings concerning Santa Anita with Frank Stronach’s daughter, Belinda, and others from the corporate office of the Stronach Group.

So Belinda, a Spanish word for snake(?), does have fingerprints on what happened.
The apple didn't fall far from the tree in her instance.

usedtolovetvg
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't make stuff up. It is really beyond my scope to fathom how the upper echelon operates.

Shelby
11-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I see paint your face day coming to the track.

:lol:

When I was around 5 years old, my uncle gave me a KISS puzzle (yeah, he was a weird uncle) and it scared the crap out of me. I had to hide it in my closet.

reckless
11-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Correct Me if I am wrong ...

I recall reading that one of Frank Stronach's very first acts after buying Santa Anita in 1998 was to round up the racetrack's historic (and valuable) art collection and shipped it to Sotheby's in New York to be auctioned off.

Greyfox
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Correct Me if I am wrong ...

I recall reading that one of Frank Stronach's very first acts after buying Santa Anita in 1998 was to round up the racetrack's historic (and valuable) art collection and shipped it to Sotheby's in New York to be auctioned off.

I don't remember that, but you could be right.

I do know however that he wanted to knock down Santa Anita's turf hill.
It is unique to North American racing for two reasons:
1. it is a hill
2. it features the only right hand turn on North American tracks.

Personally, I love the races on that hill.
Thank God they talked him out of carrying out that venture.

egreen
11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't know why there is any speculation about how Verge's tenure at SA came to an end. There were a number of published reports beforehand that a change was forthcoming and even a few quotes from Verge that he had heard Gene Simmons would be replacing him. Seems like he was given the opportunity to resign.