PDA

View Full Version : Why does Equibase scratch, unscratch, then re-scratch horses at Delta?

Milkshaker
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I get this frequently at Delta Downs when checking scratches early in the day, only to find same horses later listed "Will Run", then RE-scratched after the track feed comes on with the program changes.

Very aggravating & confusing--any insights as to a good reason why this happens?

Example from tonight, R1 11/9:

#11 Fine Brew Scratched - Also-Eligible 11:04 AM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 11:26 AM ET
Scratched - Reason Unavailable 12:24 PM ET
Scratch Reason - Reason Unavailable changed to Also-Eligible 6:02 PM ET

#12 Batson Scratched - Also-Eligible 11:04 AM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 11:26 AM ET
Scratched - Reason Unavailable 12:24 PM ET
Scratch Reason - Reason Unavailable changed to Also-Eligible 6:02 PM ET

Milkshaker
11-15-2012, 06:35 PM
And again tonight, 11/15...Highly annoying if you bother to check the early scratches:

Race: 3 Changes Time Posted
#10 Boogie Woogie Flu Scratched - Veterinarian 11:31 AM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 12:15 PM ET
Scratched - Reason Unavailable 5:51 PM ET
Scratch Reason - Reason Unavailable changed to Veterinarian 6:10 PM ET
Race 4:
#9 I'd Be a Secret Scratched - Veterinarian 11:36 AM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 12:15 PM ET
Scratched - Reason Unavailable 5:51 PM ET

Al Gobbi
11-18-2012, 01:20 PM
same thing at Golden Gate today

Race: 1 Changes Time Posted
#2 Olympio's Gal Scratched - Veterinarian 1:05 PM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 1:06 PM ET
Scratched - Veterinarian 1:09 PM ET
Will Run (Previously Reported as scratched) 1:09 PM ET
Scratched - Reason Unavailable 1:12 PM ET

cj
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
If you write to Equibase and ask, I'm sure they will answer. Those guys are pretty good with customer service.

Jeff P
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM
A few days ago I emailed Equibase and asked them about this.

Warning: long post. (If you want a direct answer to the question raised by the original poster skip to the end.)

First, here's some relevant background info:

• The original system design - going back to when it was first implemented in 2009 - called for all scratches going into the system to be keyed manually by a human being.

• At all but a few tracks, the person doing the keying for the early scratches and changes has been (and continues to be) a track employee. At those few tracks refusing to participate in the program an Equibase employee picks up the slack for the track and does the keying for the early scratches and changes.

• The chart caller assumes responsibility for keying subsequent scratches and changes into the system when he or she shows up for work.

The system design as described above (for the most part) has worked out pretty well. As soon as the person keying a change hits the Enter button - that change goes into the system and is propagated directly to the Equibase Scratches and Changes XML where it can be instantly picked up by other systems parsing the XML. The objective is to provide everyone in the industry: tracks, otbs, adws, licensed data resellers, and HORSEPLAYERS one place on the web where the most current scratches and changes info can be found in as close to real time as possible.

• At this point I should probably point out that the system came about largely because it was a direct suggestion from HANA to Equibase. Since the time the system was implemented I have stayed in the loop and have provided player feedback to Equibase with a constant eye towards improving the timeliness and accuracy of the system.

• Earlier this year I suggested to Equibase that the system could be brought very close to 100% accuracy if they would be willing to robotically parse the tote as a way to pick up the handful of scratches each week being missed by the human beings keying them in.

The idea behind this suggestion was as follows:

a. Parsing the tote would yield a list of horses scratched from the tote.

b. A second list of horses - those already scratched from the system - could be generated.

c. A comparison between the two lists of scratched horses could be used to produce an exception list.

d. If that exception list could be worked/resolved quickly: The result would be an improvement to the system - giving it something approaching near 100% timeliness and accuracy.

• A few months ago Equibase agreed with me and began work on parsing the tote system robotically in an effort to pick up the handful of additional scratches that were being missed each week.

• About two weeks ago they implemented the first stage of parsing the tote as a means to get missing scratches into the system.

• Now, here's my understanding of what is causing horses to be scratched/unscratched/re-scratched:

a. The first set of scratches represent the early scratches and changes keyed by a track employee. However, many of the tracks are keying their early scratches and changes into the system well ahead of time - early enough in the race day that the tote files aren't yet "live" for their races.

b. As soon as the tote files for a track becomes "live"... Equibase begins parsing them for additional changes. However, when this happens early enough in the race day and the tote files aren't yet complete (although they do get there as post time for R1 nears)... THIS is where I think the "will run" status is being picked up.

c. As the tote file is made closer to complete - or if a human being realizes that a scratched horse is listed as "will run" and decides to key it in as a change... that's where the re-scratch takes place.

d. If they hadn't implemented a tote parse, these horses would not be listed in the system as a scratch at all... at least not until such time (later in the day) that a human being realized the horse was scratched and keyed it into the system.

Equibase is aware of the problem described in this thread (scratching, unscratching, and re-scratching) and is working to get it resolved. (FYI they HAVE read this thread.)

Again, apologies for being so long winded... but I thought this deserved a thorough explanation.

-jp

Jeff P
11-18-2012, 05:04 PM
EDIT...

Item d. in my previous post should be changed from:d. If they hadn't implemented a tote parse, these horses would not be listed in the system as a scratch at all... at least not until such time (later in the day) that a human being realized the horse was scratched and keyed it into the system.

to read:d. If they hadn't implemented a tote parse, a handful of these horses each week would not be listed in the system as a scratch at all... at least not until such time (later in the day) that a human being realized the horse was scratched and keyed it into the system.

-jp

Milkshaker
11-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Appreciate your detailed reply very much--thank you.

johnhannibalsmith
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
If you write to Equibase and ask, I'm sure they will answer. Those guys are pretty good with customer service.

Some of the best people in the business. Easily some of the most professional at some racetracks.

Edited - to not take up another reply box to thank Jeff for taking the time to answer the question in such a reliably detailed and thorough way. :ThmbUp: