PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be 2012 HOTY?

andtheyreoff
11-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Wise Dan: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=7999682&registry=T

I'll Have Another: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8583721&registry=T

Royal Delta: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8250825&registry=T

Fort Larned: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8322290&registry=T

Little Mike: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8146945&registry=T

depalma113
11-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Zenyatta

I thought she always got it.

Robert Fischer
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Frankel(protest vote)

MickJ26
11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
I voted for Royal Delta.

Shelby
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Wise Dan

Stillriledup
11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Frankel(protest vote)

He might have won it if his connections werent afraid to pull an Akeem Joffer.

CincyHorseplayer
11-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Win on dirt or go to Europe and win.Were not going to face the best dirt horses.Were not going to face the best turf horses.Were not going to face a distance over 8 furlongs.Yeah...........whateva..........Fort Larned.

Some_One
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
I would give it to Little Mike before Royal Delta, please someone make the case for her.

awrobe01
11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I could be wrong but I think we would of seen that the 3yo's were the best hoses. Which I would not normally say. I just think it was a very strong group this year. But we didn't get to see it because of all the injureies or so called injuries.

Bodimister: I actually think he was better then IHA. Trinneberg hurt him in the derby and speed was getting eaten alive of Preakness day.
I'll Have Another: Was just awesome
Union Rags: Could of been special. Was a bad luck horse. But when he was able to stretch out his legs in the Belmont he won the hard way. Comming up the inside.
Paynter: Late develping horse I thought had superstar written all over him.

Call me crazy but I think the two best horses are Animal kingdom and My Miss Aurela.

Animal Kingdom: I was not a true believer in this horse. I thought he just beat a weak group last year. The Turf Mile I just can't ignore. Everyone is talking about Wise Dan. I thought Animal Kingdom would of won the race if he could of got out earlier. This is with no prep race. Very excited for this up and comming year.

MY Miss Aurila: I thought was the best horse in the most talented ladies classic ever. She ran second to Royal Delta on a track that the only horse to close on the two day card was Groupie Doll. A horse that was much the best of the field. I don't care about the fractions so much. That track was lightning fast. MMA Aurela came from about four lengths off the pace and gave Royal Delta a run for her money on a track that you couldn't catch horses on the front end. Very excited for her four year old year

Sysonby
11-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I could be wrong but I think we would of seen that the 3yo's were the best hoses. Which I would not normally say. I just think it was a very strong group this year. But we didn't get to see it because of all the injureies or so called injuries.

Bodimister: I actually think he was better then IHA. Trinneberg hurt him in the derby and speed was getting eaten alive of Preakness day.
I'll Have Another: Was just awesome
Union Rags: Could of been special. Was a bad luck horse. But when he was able to stretch out his legs in the Belmont he won the hard way. Comming up the inside.
Paynter: Late develping horse I thought had superstar written all over him.

Call me crazy but I think the two best horses are Animal kingdom and My Miss Aurela.

Animal Kingdom: I was not a true believer in this horse. I thought he just beat a weak group last year. The Turf Mile I just can't ignore. Everyone is talking about Wise Dan. I thought Animal Kingdom would of won the race if he could of got out earlier. This is with no prep race. Very excited for this up and comming year.

MY Miss Aurila: I thought was the best horse in the most talented ladies classic ever. She ran second to Royal Delta on a track that the only horse to close on the two day card was Groupie Doll. A horse that was much the best of the field. I don't care about the fractions so much. That track was lightning fast. MMA Aurela came from about four lengths off the pace and gave Royal Delta a run for her money on a track that you couldn't catch horses on the front end. Very excited for her four year old year

I agree, that was a fantastic performance by MMA, hope she stays healthy cause I really think she's special.

MickJ26
11-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Let's say Groupie Doll takes down the Cigar, where does she stand as a possible Horse of the Year candidate?

cj
11-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Let's say Groupie Doll takes down the Cigar, where does she stand as a possible Horse of the Year candidate?

Nowhere.

andtheyreoff
11-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Considering HOTY voters never consider male sprinters for HOTY, what makes anyone think they would consider a female sprinter?

MickJ26
11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Turfers are rarely considered either, yet Wise Dan is a leading candidate. Just playing devil's advocate.

letswastemoney
11-19-2012, 06:03 AM
I would think Groupie Doll gets some votes for HOTY if she wins the Cigar Mile.

After all, if Rapid Redux can gain some legitimate votes for HOTY (I believe he received a couple...)...then no horse really surprises me.

I don't believe winning the Cigar Mile will be enough overall though.

andtheyreoff
11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Turfers are rarely considered either, yet Wise Dan is a leading candidate. Just playing devil's advocate.

At least some turf horses have been HOTY in the past (Kotashaan, All Along, John Henry, and Fort Marcy). A sprinter, however, has never been HOTY, much less a female sprinter.

Moreover, she wasn't even in the picture until the Cigar Mile move was announced, and I think many voters have made up their minds already (considering it's November 19, and almost all the big races of the year have been run). She might get a few votes, but if she wins, I would be both shocked and embarassed.

Cratos
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I would vote for I’ll Have Another; but Royal Delta wouldn’t disappoint me. However Wise Dan although a tough competitor this year just doesn’t rise to the status of HOTY this year in my humble onion.

MickJ26
11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
This wouldn't just be some six furlong filly sprint she's winning. It's the Grade 1 Cigar. Not only is Groupie Doll stepping out of her division, she's going out of her gender as well. I know, let's see her win the race first before we start speculating. There's really no standouts in any division with the exception of Shanghai Bobby and Wise Dan. I'm not saying she should be HOY, she should at least merit some consideration.

andtheyreoff
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
This wouldn't just be some six furlong filly sprint she's winning. It's the Grade 1 Cigar. Not only is Groupie Doll stepping out of her division, she's going out of her gender as well. I know, let's see her win the race first before we start speculating. There's really no standouts in any division with the exception of Shanghai Bobby and Wise Dan. I'm not saying she should be HOY, she should at least merit some consideration.

Another problem with her is that, outside of the Cigar Mile (presumptive) and BC F&M Sprint, she hasn't won any marquee races. The only other G1 races are the Humana Distaff, and the (extremely borderline G1) Madison. Her other wins came in the Throughbred Club of America (G2) and the Presque Isle Masters (G2).

That six pack, while impressive, I don't think outdoes Woodbine Mile/Shadwell Mile/BC Mile or Delaware/Beldame/BC Distaff or Santa Anita Derby/Kentucky Derby/Preakness or even Arlington Million/BC Turf. Hopefully, voters will not be swayed by late season hype.

Leparoux
11-22-2012, 12:50 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

letswastemoney
11-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Why should Groupie Doll be rewarded for facing males once when Wise Dan has faced open G1 and G2 competition all year?

Does anyone think Wise Dan wouldn't be undefeated if he got to enter female races all year and cherry pick 1 open G1?

MickJ26
11-24-2012, 12:14 PM
That would be like Wise Dan cherry picking a dirt race since he primarily runs on turf.
I'm not saying Groupie Doll, even if she wins by a pole, deserves HOY by winning the Cigar. It gives her a very strong resume. I'm just saying she belongs in the conversation.

Valuist
01-01-2013, 06:24 PM
That would be like Wise Dan cherry picking a dirt race since he primarily runs on turf.
I'm not saying Groupie Doll, even if she wins by a pole, deserves HOY by winning the Cigar. It gives her a very strong resume. I'm just saying she belongs in the conversation.

Not exactly. He's a damned good horse on dirt as well. Just a bit better on turf and synthetic.

CincyHorseplayer
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Why should Groupie Doll be rewarded for facing males once when Wise Dan has faced open G1 and G2 competition all year?

Does anyone think Wise Dan wouldn't be undefeated if he got to enter female races all year and cherry pick 1 open G1?

Why should Wise Dan get HOY for beating zero older males on dirt?

Some_One
01-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Voters have a history of rewarding females who only raced once against males.

letswastemoney
01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Why should Wise Dan get HOY for beating zero older males on dirt?
Any horse could have entered those turf races. And Wise Dan did beat older males on dirt, he ran second.

The main point is, Wise Dan was barred from entering the majority of races Groupie Doll competed against, while Groupie Doll wasn't, and that's why this whole business of rewarding females as having a better year while they only made 1 or 2 starts against males is just plain stupid.