PDA

View Full Version : oh captain, my captain

freeneasy
01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
since it hasnt been brought up on any threads and it hardly got a line in the newscast i guess i'll mention it here.
the captain,
captain kangaroo died the other day at about 78 years of age. i cant remember what his name was or how long his show ran for. but at the time i was a little tyke i didnt like his show at all. it completely bored me. wasnt funny, wasnt clever, never had any kids on the show partying it up, never gave any toys away. never had any drawings for free prizes or have a big contest to win a brand new swinn super flyer bycycle. his shows for the most part were always calm, reserved and without clamor. once in a while he'd show these really dopey cartoons and they just wernt funny. but now that i think about it i think i can tell you a little bit about what his show really was all about. it was about this and that is,
kids obey your parents, make your beds, brush your teeth, take out the trash, and eat your vegatables.
learn your abc's, think good thoughts, do good things and always be kind to others.
always, always, always look both ways before crossing the street, and always keep an eye on your little brother and sister when your out playing.. and boys and girls dont forget to always be sure
to always tell the truth.
this guy was the oridginal mr. rodgers and theres probably a thousand and one kids/now adults out there who can look back and say " yeah, captain kangaroo?, he always had a good word to go by"
so to pay a small tribute to the "captain" iam going to put up a few trivia questions.

1) name the names of all the characters, as well as the kind of characters that they were, on the mourning kids series " captain kangaroo" if you know them all, then just give one name and the character.

2) as far as i know, he gave the explaination for it only once on his show and that may have been thereabouts at the inception of the captain kangaroo tv series, and that explaination was for " why he was called "captain kangaroo" what was the explaination he gave as to the reason why he was called or named " captain kangaroo?" :D

freeneasy
01-27-2004, 09:09 PM
:confused:

Derek2U
01-27-2004, 09:31 PM
cause the Capt LOVED kids & he woulda just adored #43's
program of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND after #43 slashes every
dollar. IOW, #43 is a total genetic alien probly cause he stopped
booze ; he woulda been better off becoming a homeless bum
w/ a squeegie in hand. Thats Why, Free.

Tom
01-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Uncool, D, uncool.
This is a tribute, not a diatribe.

Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose, Mr, Greenjeans,....I even used him for an Avatar for a while.

I always believed he was a retired sea captain.

Spent many, many mornings waiting for that unmistakeable theme music to come on. Always hoping he would show a Tom Terrific cartoon. Great show.

Trouble wtih TV today, is there is nothing like that for kids to grow up with. How do you think the Captain would have explained Orange Alrerts?

Derek2U
01-27-2004, 09:53 PM
mea culpa i am CORREcted. LUV u capt

Tom
01-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
mea culpa i am CORREcted. LUV u capt

Alright then. I was going to sic Bunny Rabit on you!

Steve 'StatMan'
01-27-2004, 10:20 PM
or drop a load of Mr. Moose's Ping Pong Balls! :D

kenwoodallpromos
01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Kangaroo because his coat had lots of pockets!

Larry Hamilton
01-28-2004, 12:17 AM
I sat with my children and stood it as long as an adult could stand it. It was designed at every level to appeal to children. But, the will power it took for me to sit thru the whole thing was tremendous.

Lately, I have been baby sitting my grand children a lot. The three year old says every time it comes on, "See grand pa, Tarzan does use a sword..." Wish we could get back to more innocent times even if it bores me to tears.

freeneasy
01-28-2004, 02:09 AM
D, thank you tom, thank you larry, steve and kendal.

well you got three of em tom. mr. green jeans, bunny rabit and tom terrific, accompanied of coarse by his side kick "mighty manfred the wonder dog. that is when manfred wasnt always falling over on his side and going to sleep whenever trouble arose. ha ha. now that i think about it, that was funny stuff.

and steve got mr. moose. ya know i knew all the characters on the show but i knew there was one more character that i'd forgotten all about and just couldnt remember who the heck it was. it was mr. moose always playing his slapstick joke on the captain, setting him up every time to drop all those ping pong balls on top of the trusting captain.
but wasnt there a one time event when the captain pulled the switcha roo on mr. moose and set mr. moose up to drop all those ping pong balls on himself? or was it the case of lucy always pulling the football away from charlie brown at the last second and it was the captains fate to always get the ping pong balls?

and ken got in the ballpark but jussst missed.

ok steve got mr. moose
tom got bunny rabbit, mr. green jeans and tom terrific
ken just missed
but there are at least two other characters left to go.
so lets see, who else can come up with one of these two characters as well as the reason why or how captain kangaroo got his name. c'mon you guys cant be gett'n that old

BillW
01-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Dancing Bear and Grandfather Clock are the other 2 characters.

freeneasy
01-28-2004, 01:51 PM
you got em. dancing bear and granfather clock.

and the reason for the name captain kangaroo was for the two great big oversized 'pockets' on that same old coat he always, always wore, day after day after day. they were more like 'kangaroo pouches' then pockets. hence the name captain kangaroo.
i remember watching that show and patiently waiting for the day when bunny rabbits head would fly off or something funny like that, or maybe dancing bear would take a bad step and fall all over himself and maybe kinda knock something over like grandfather clock and he would break up into a million pieces, you know funny stuff like that or maybe somehow grandfather clocks mouth would just get stuck while he was talking and nobody would know what to do. but alas that day was never to come and i guess that was just the kind of kid i was. but anyway i just wanna say thanks to the 'captain'. its never to late to appreciate the good and timely efforts of others. thanks 'cap'