PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Fire Brown

redshift1
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Guess he was on a short leash.

http://espn.go.com

Robert Goren
11-09-2012, 03:32 PM
The Lakers are bad team. The management just have not admitted it to themselves yet. Jackson knew when to get off. They are old and beat up just like me. I pity the new coach because people expect them to one of top two teams in the west. In reality they are someplace between 5-8 seed if that. OKC has nothing to worry about from the Lakers no matter who they hire.

Robert Fischer
11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
The Lakers are bad team. The management just have not admitted it to themselves yet..

Kobe is still a volume scorer and a closer, Howard is an excellent finisher, Gasol can knock down 15footers and occasionally roll to the hoop, Nash can knock down open shots, find Howard Gasol or Kobe and get the ball ahead in controlled transition...

Unfortunately the 2-man game with Kobe and Howard hasn't materialized yet. Maybe it started to last game? Most of the time the ball has stopped in Kobe's hands. AFAIK Kobe has shot a decent%, but he HAS to be willing to be a facilitator.

Even if Kobe scores 15 a night for a while, if he can get that offensive machine moving - that's what a champion does. Then he can get back to 25 a night and everybody finds their roles.

Nobody cares if Kobe scores 40 in a loss. LA fans are trying to buy into the idea that they can contend for the West and not be a mismatch vs. the Heat.

redshift1
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
The Lakers are bad team. The management just have not admitted it to themselves yet. Jackson knew when to get off. They are old and beat up just like me. I pity the new coach because people expect them to one of top two teams in the west. In reality they are someplace between 5-8 seed if that. OKC has nothing to worry about from the Lakers no matter who they hire.

Somethings not working whether It's the coach or the players remains to be seen. Brown was an odd choice compared to the better coaches out there he lacked the charisma needed for the lakers although I thought the same about the Miami coach and in football the Dallas coach, at Miami it worked out.

duncan04
11-10-2012, 10:43 PM
The Lakers job is Jackson's if he wants it.

cj
11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
The Lakers job is Jackson's if he wants it.

Not exactly breaking news. The real question is why would he want it? They aren't going anywhere.

JustRalph
11-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Not exactly breaking news. The real question is why would he want it? They aren't going anywhere.

He would have to be really bored. His girlfriend works as an exec for the team, Buss's daughter? Could be. Fun year of travel for them on the teams dime

JustRalph
11-12-2012, 07:09 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/phil-jackson-out-of-picture-mike-dantoni-signs-to-be-lakers-new-coach/related/

D'Antoni gets the job

Robert Fischer
11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/phil-jackson-out-of-picture-mike-dantoni-signs-to-be-lakers-new-coach/related/

D'Antoni gets the job

wow

mountainman
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Foolish attempt to revisit long gone "showtime" days. Should have begged phil jackson. what has this guy EVER won??

reckless
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
In part, Mike D'Antoni may have gotten the Lakers' job due to a recommendation by Steve Nash.

As I recall D'Antoni drafted Nash out of Santa Clara when he was head coach in Phoenix.

reckless
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM

D'Antoni gets the job

I should have read this before I made my little post. The story says D'Antoni's contract for 3 years ends at the same time Steve Nash's does.

Nevertheless, he is a great coach who was term-limited in New York the second after Donnie Walsh's GM reign ended with the Knicks.

Stillriledup
11-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Foolish attempt to revisit long gone "showtime" days. Should have begged phil jackson. what has this guy EVER won??

Phil was available, they didnt have to beg.

Jeff P
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
LA Times - Phil Jackson said he was 'awakened at midnight' by Lakers and told he didn't get job:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-phil-jackson-releases-statement-20121112,0,711560.story

If it were my team I'd have at least waited until I heard back from Phil.

-jp

castaway01
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
In part, Mike D'Antoni may have gotten the Lakers' job due to a recommendation by Steve Nash.

As I recall D'Antoni drafted Nash out of Santa Clara when he was head coach in Phoenix.

Not saying anyone can straighten out the Laker ego mix, but Kobe loves D'Antoni because his father is tight with him from playing in Italy, and he also got the most out of Nash. D'Antoni has to deal with the insane egos of every NBA player, but at least the most powerful guys on his new team like him.

Hosshead
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I saw the video interviews with some Laker players tonight on the L.A. news.
You could tell by their manner that their expectations of having Phil had just been deflated. A big letdown.
But their words spoke (in a professional way) of "fitting in" with the new system etc. They were (visually) disappointed, (not excited), especially Gasol and Howard, but weren't going to complain.
After all, ANYBODY would be better than Mike Brown, who should have never been hired. And the players know that !

lansdale
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Per N.Y. Times, since this is an older group of players, Buss feels like they have to win from the jump. With Phil, even though the players wanted him, you would have older players having to learn a new and complex system that takes time. Others have pointed out the obvious upside of the D'Antoni/Nash bond, and the former was also a role model for the young Kobe as Italian league All Star, so possibly some of the ego problems are reduced. But this team still reminds me of the Payton/Malone Laker failure of 2004 (or '05?).

I think they'll put up a lot of points but appear seriously D-deficient, and Nash, who had defensive problems in his prime, will get shredded by Westbrook and Parker in the post-season. Second-round elimination, at best. Still, should be more fun to watch than the usual spectacle of Kobe incessantly pounding the ball.

Hosshead
11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Funny, when they interviewed Nash, he also looked like he had wanted Phil and said he was shocked that Phil wasn't hired. But of course all the players are "going with the flow".
There's more to this than the triangle offense. Like Jim Buss vs. Phil.
But as was mentioned, should be more fun to watch, at least at one end of the court.