PDA

View Full Version : NFL mid season awards

Valuist
11-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Halfway thru the season, here's how I see it:

MVP- Matt Ryan. Great stats and 8-0. Yes he has weapons but he is playing at an exceptional level. The usual suspects are also in the running: Brady, Rodgers, Peyton as well as Big Ben.

Rookie of the Year---I hate to say it, but Andrew Luck. I have a dinner for 4 wager with my Indy friend and I have RG3. I was in front until about 2 weeks ago but that can still change. Sleeper: Doug Martin, who is a beast

Comeback player of the Year: Peyton Manning. He definitely is back

Comeback player of the Year for a player who HAD a good 2011 season: Adrian Peterson. To play at the level he's playing at following the ACL blowout around last Xmas, is amazing. Not a conventional "comeback" player because he had a great 2011 season.

Defensive player of the year: JJ Watt with special consideration to Charles Tillman

Coach of the year: This is a tough call, but I'd be inclined to give it to Bruce Aryans, the interim coach at Indy. 2-14 last year, now at 5-3.

Striker
11-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Halfway thru the season, here's how I see it:

MVP- Matt Ryan. Great stats and 8-0. Yes he has weapons but he is playing at an exceptional level. The usual suspects are also in the running: Brady, Rodgers, Peyton as well as Big Ben.

Rookie of the Year---I hate to say it, but Andrew Luck. I have a dinner for 4 wager with my Indy friend and I have RG3. I was in front until about 2 weeks ago but that can still change. Sleeper: Doug Martin, who is a beast

Comeback player of the Year: Peyton Manning. He definitely is back

Comeback player of the Year for a player who HAD a good 2011 season: Adrian Peterson. To play at the level he's playing at following the ACL blowout around last Xmas, is amazing. Not a conventional "comeback" player because he had a great 2011 season.

Defensive player of the year: JJ Watt with special consideration to Charles Tillman

Coach of the year: This is a tough call, but I'd be inclined to give it to Bruce Aryans, the interim coach at Indy. 2-14 last year, now at 5-3.
I think Peyton is the frontrunner for Comeback Player and MVP. The Broncos schedule the rest of the year is a joke---Carolina, SD, KC twice, CLE, OAK, Tampa and Baltimore. Peyton will be putting up some big numbers against some of those squads.

Valuist
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I think Peyton is the frontrunner for Comeback Player and MVP. The Broncos schedule the rest of the year is a joke---Carolina, SD, KC twice, CLE, OAK, Tampa and Baltimore. Peyton will be putting up some big numbers against some of those squads.

I agree he's a legit candidate. And its likely the good fortune Ryan has experienced will cease at some point. That said, it was about mid season awards; not necessarily where they will be come January.

Striker
11-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I would still give the mid season MVP to Manning--
20 TDs, over 8 yds per catch, highest comp %, leads the league in passer rating. While Thomas has some potential at WR, if would be scary to see what would happen if Manning got some upgrades at WR and TE.

Valuist
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I would still give the mid season MVP to Manning--
20 TDs, over 8 yds per catch, highest comp %, leads the league in passer rating. While Thomas has some potential at WR, if would be scary to see what would happen if Manning got some upgrades at WR and TE.

If we are going by supporting cast, RG3 would not only be RoY, but the MVP. Its him and a 6th round draft choice at RB (Morris), Garcon played in the opener and that's it; Santana Moss, who's about 50 years old and Leonard Hankerson. Fred Davis, a decent TE, was out for the season a couple weeks ago. Demaryuis Thomas (sp?) is a big time player. He will put up monster numbers w/Manning. RG3 has nobody remotely close to Thomas to throw to.

Striker
11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
If we are going by supporting cast, RG3 would not only be RoY, but the MVP. Its him and a 6th round draft choice at RB (Morris), Garcon played in the opener and that's it; Santana Moss, who's about 50 years old and Leonard Hankerson. Fred Davis, a decent TE, was out for the season a couple weeks ago. Demaryuis Thomas (sp?) is a big time player. He will put up monster numbers w/Manning. RG3 has nobody remotely close to Thomas to throw to.
Agree, it would be interesting to see RG3 with better players around him.

PhantomOnTour
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
In my opinion, any way you slice it....

Andrew Luck > RG III

Valuist
11-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I almost forgot Coach of the Year.

I don't know if an interim coach has ever won the award, or if it would even be allowed but the Coach of the Year has to be Colts interim coach Bruce Arians.

Striker
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I almost forgot Coach of the Year.

I don't know if an interim coach has ever won the award, or if it would even be allowed but the Coach of the Year has to be Colts interim coach Bruce Arians.
Arians and Philbin(Dolphins) and obviously Smith(falcons) have to be in the discussion. Right now I would agree with you on giving it to Arians.

Valuist
11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Arians and Philbin(Dolphins) and obviously Smith(falcons) have to be in the discussion. Right now I would agree with you on giving it to Arians.

Really difficult situation to have thrust upon you; getting control after week 2. This team was 2-14 last year. Obviously the rookie QB has a lot to do with the turnaround but the defense has gone from 29 points allowed in games 1-5 to just 14 points allowed in their last 4 games.

Valuist
11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Before the media awards the RoY award to Luck, RG3 is making a good race of it. Near perfection today; 4 TD passes and only 1 incomplete. Toss in another 85 rush yards for style points.

Valuist
12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Two weeks to go in the regular season. Here's how I believe the awards look:

MVP: I believe it should be named Player of the Year. Its really about who is having the best season. IMO, its too tough to distinguish between Brady, Rodgers and (Peyton) Manning. I suppose any of the 3 would be worthy, but I give the award to Adrian Peterson. He has a shot at Dickerson's record, and he's doing it on a team with a weak QB, and with the one legit WR threat (Harvin) who has missed a decent amount of time. I can't really consider him a Comeback of the Year candidate because he was damned good last year. Looking forward to seeing him on "The League" this Thursday.

Comeback Player of the Year: I just said why it isn't Peterson, so it obviously has to be Peyton Manning, who missed the entire 2011 season. Case closed.

Rookie of the Year: I still lean to RG3 but Luck is probably a slight favorite and Russell Wilson has come on very strong and cannot be counted out.

Defensive Player of the Year: JJ Watt. Forget the fact Aldon Smith is tied with him at 19.5 sacks. Watt has 15 pass deflections and Smith has 1. Watt also has many more tackles. No brainer

Coach of the Year: Bruce Arians. Who? The interim coach of the Colts. Thrust in a difficult situation, he's done everything right.

fiveouttasix
12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
As much as I am not a fan of 49er's or Jim Harbaugh ..I think
he deserves the Coach Award for the guts to make the QB change.

Robert Goren
12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
If you give the coach of year to the best coach like you give MVP to the best player, then he coaches in New England and he has for years. The runner up is in Washington.

Valuist
12-17-2012, 10:16 AM
If you give the coach of year to the best coach like you give MVP to the best player, then he coaches in New England and he has for years. The runner up is in Washington.

I give Coach of the year primarily to the team that outperforms expectations. May not be fair to Belichek, but that team was in the SB last year, and expectations were high this year. Same goes for Harbaugh as well. They actually should've been in the Super Bowl last season.

I do think Shanahan is a legit candidate.

Robert Goren
12-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I give Coach of the year primarily to the team that outperforms expectations. May not be fair to Belichek, but that team was in the SB last year, and expectations were high this year. Same goes for Harbaugh as well. They actually should've been in the Super Bowl last season.

I do think Shanahan is a legit candidate.I understand your point but we do not give the MVP to a player who outperforms expectations.

fiveouttasix
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Just looked up previous winners...I forgot they gave it to Harbaugh last year.
Belichick has won it 3 times...Given this info I would probably give it to the guy from the Colts as Valuist said...especially if they make the playoffs

MaTH716
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I know that he is aided by having one of the best QB's in NFL history and his division turned out to be on the weak side, but John Fox's name doesnt even come up for consideration?

fiveouttasix
12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Peyton is like having a coach on the field

Valuist
12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I understand your point but we do not give the MVP to a player who outperforms expectations.

Different awards....different criteria.

proximity
12-17-2012, 06:44 PM
jeff fisher should be coach of the year for having the rams at 6-7-1. that is amazing.

arians calls too many long passes for this lousy line and andrew luck should be rookie of the year for just surviving the season. maybe arians will be traded to san diego for norv, lol.....

elysiantraveller
12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Calvin Johnson for MVP.

I know they are 4-10 so its hard but the record is probably going to fall but this guy is the one left standing. The #2, 3, 4, and 5 WR's are down as well as their #1 TE and he just keeps throwing up huge numbers.

This is GOAT type stuff from him...