PDA

View Full Version : Voter Turnout

Steve R
11-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Perhaps this has been addressed, although I may have missed it. It appears that voter turnout this year is running about 50% and could be among the five lowest since at least 1828. That would be down almost 10% from 2008 and a long way from the historical 70-80% the U.S. enjoyed during most of the 19th century. What's up with that?

lsbets
11-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Perhaps this has been addressed, although I may have missed it. It appears that voter turnout this year is running about 50% and could be among the five lowest since at least 1828. That would be down almost 10% from 2008 and a long way from the historical 70-80% the U.S. enjoyed during most of the 19th century. What's up with that?

After the second debate I called the Obama strategy as going so negative that undecideds (who would normally vote for the challenger) and marginal voters would be so turned off that they stayed home. They knew that their best path to reelection would be to make it a contest of the bases. It was a great strategy that worked well and also produced the ugliest election I have ever seen.

Shemp Howard
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Most registered voters these days have trouble reading and writing or else want someone to pay for their birth control.

elysiantraveller
11-07-2012, 10:10 PM

Just one problem with your numbers... and I agree with LS by the way... going back that far the amount of eligible voters was much smaller compared to the population... I don't really think 70-80% is possible/realistic in this day and age.

sandpit
11-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe none of them could find their IDs :D