PDA

View Full Version : Congrats California. Prop 30 passed

JustRalph
11-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Cannot believe these fools............

Raises California’s sales tax to 7.5% from 7.25%, a 3.45% percentage increase over current law. (Under the Brown Tax Hike, the sales tax would have increased to 7.75%)

Creates four high-income tax brackets for taxpayers with taxable incomes exceeding $250,000, $300,000, $500,000 and $1,000,000. This increased tax will be in effect for 7 years.

Imposes a 10.3% tax rate on taxable income over $250,000 but less than $300,000–a percentage increase of 10.6% over current policy of 9.3%. The 10.3% income tax rate is currently only paid by taxpayers with over $1,000,000 in taxable income.

Imposes an 11.3% tax rate on taxable income over $300,000 but less than $500,000–a percentage increase of 21.5% over current policy of 9.3%.

Imposes a 12.3% tax rate on taxable income over $500,000 up to $1,000,000–a percentage increase of 32.26% over current policy of 9.3%.

Imposes a 13.3% tax rate on taxable income over $1,000,000–a percentage increase of 29.13% over current “millionaires tax” policy of 10.3%.

Based on California Franchise Tax Board data for 2009, the additional income tax is imposed on the top 3% of California taxpayers.

delayjf
11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
And it won't work - it will not solve CA financial mess. Were told the money will go to schools, by schools they mean teachers pension plans. Ultimately, as payback for supporting his election, Obama will bail out CA and probably NY.

BlueShoe
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Prop 32, which would have curbed massive union contributions to politicians through mandatory paycheck deductions failed. With both props 30 & 32 going the wrong way the real winners were the communist unions, their bosses, and most of their rank and file members. The losers are the children that will never benefit one bit and the citizens of California. Once again California has shown the world that it is the center of insanity, just as it did in 2010.

Striker
11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Cannot believe these fools............

Raises California’s sales tax to 7.5% from 7.25%, a 3.45% percentage increase over current law. (Under the Brown Tax Hike, the sales tax would have increased to 7.75%)

That's nothing. Come on out to Chicago where the baseline sales tax is 9.5% but there are add ons for groceries and medical supplies, and the restaurant tax is between 10%-11%.

mostpost
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
California voters figured out that the true cause of the financial crisis in that state was years of failing to keep taxes at a reasonable level. Now they must face the painful task of paying for that failure.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2012, 01:17 PM
California voters figured out that the true cause of the financial crisis in that state was years of failing to keep taxes at a reasonable level.you forgot...."to pay for the entitlement culture...."

statepierback
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I voted no on this and of all the results this one erks me the most. Its not about schools its about the insolvent state pension program. They got a bail out for the time being. Somewhere down the road there will be a need to restructure that system. I can't believe the voter allowed themselves to get hood winked here. Gov. Brown put one over. :(

BlueShoe
11-07-2012, 03:03 PM
you forgot...."to pay for the entitlement culture...."
California has 12% of the nation's population but 33% of it's welfare recipients. After all, someone has to support all those illegals and pay for their food stamps, Wic vouchers, free school meals, section 8 rent, etc., right? :rolleyes:

TJDave
11-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I can't believe the voter allowed themselves to get hood winked here. Gov. Brown put one over. :(

Voters knew what they were doing.

JustRalph
11-07-2012, 05:52 PM
California has 12% of the nation's population but 33% of it's welfare recipients. After all, someone has to support all those illegals and pay for their food stamps, Wic vouchers, free school meals, section 8 rent, etc., right? :rolleyes:

Dont forget those items are paid at a higher level than any other state

BlueShoe
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Dont forget those items are paid at a higher level than any other state
For sure. That is why leeches from all over come to California; get those nice juicy bennies and lots of free stuff, all at the generosity of the taxpayer. :mad:

delayjf
11-07-2012, 11:25 PM
California voters figured out that the true cause of the financial crisis in that state was years of failing to keep taxes at a reasonable level. Now they must face the painful task of paying for that failure.

What prey tell would you describe as reasonable with regards to state income tax.

When they say the money is going to schools they mean the teachers pension fund. Dems also are very close to getting a super majority which will allow them to raise taxes at will. Some beleive that the only way to fix this state is to let it fail. Personally, I glad Paul Ryan is Chairman of the House Budget committee - so he can squash any pension bailout.

Most Post, at the very least, this will be a good test for your "higher tax rates leads to economic growth theory" because guess what, this new tax increase is retroactive to this year.

I'm guessing a lot of Hollywood tax attorneys got phone calls today. I'm also guessing a lot of Hollywood types will be moving to their ranches in Montana and Wyoming.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-08-2012, 12:37 AM

I'll contend that those voting for the tax were mostly those who wouldn't have to pay that tax.

Tom
11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
We should restrict voting on tax bill to property owners.
Paid up, of course.

delayjf
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I stand corrected, the Legislature has the super majority - they can now tax at will. Stand by

anotherCAfan
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, I knew what I was doing; I voted NO on the tax-raising measures.

I stand corrected, the Legislature has the super majority - they can now tax at will.
The reason why I voted straight GOP. Unfortunately, none were elected.

JustRalph
11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Yes, I knew what I was doing; I voted NO on the tax-raising measures.

The reason why I voted straight GOP. Unfortunately, none were elected.

Oklahoma, too many Californians coming to Texas

anotherCAfan
11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Oklahoma, too many Californians coming to Texas
It's all the jobs that have moved to Texas because they have a better business climate.

Gosh, if I had to move...

maybe Austin/San Antonio (I like the area; plus the rest of the state cancels them out)
Dallas area
Utah
Oregon or Washington (same problem as California, politically)

I've never been to Oklahoma. I'm sure I would like the people. They might not like USC cardinal and gold though :confused:

ElKabong
11-10-2012, 02:54 AM
It's all the jobs that have moved to Texas because they have a better business climate.

Gosh, if I had to move...

maybe Austin/San Antonio (I like the area; plus the rest of the state cancels them out)
Dallas area
Utah
Oregon or Washington (same problem as California, politically)

I've never been to Oklahoma. I'm sure I would like the people. They might not like USC cardinal and gold though :confused:

Austin > another San Francisco nowdays. Used to be "Texas Liberal" a really cool place. Beginning in the early 90s it became Calif east. They brought their politics with them, it's not the same. It used to be "home" to me, where every Texan wanted ot live. I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole now

SanAntone > No way. Gangs everywhere, poverty is a big problem. Forget the gubmint stats, a lot of illegals are there under the census radar. It's a shithole now. There are nice parts of town but you can't get away from the poverty angle there.

Dallas> If you have marketable skills for the workingworld, this is the place. If you don't, it's not.....And it's the last place to retire. Texas has some of the most beautiful land and landscapes in America, none of which are within 50 miles of Dallas. Mostly flat (other thna the dallas alps, for cyclists - and even that isn't ride-able anymore b/c of the traffic in cedar hill).....It's hardly a Texas city anymore, which has its good and bad angles....

People that grew up here welcome folks from all over (moreso than the south), but when a transplant whines "Texas, sigh" they would do everyone a favor by leaving. If you don't like it where you are, wherever that is, then leave. Don't whine like a bitch. Go find your home state & embrace wherever that is. Aand I might add most people here that complain about "Texas" they usually haven't traveled much here. We have beaches, mountains (elevation higher than any state east of the Mississippi), pine forests, the Hill Country, the Big Thicket, the Palo Duro Canyon, etc etc....Lot to see here, it's a big damn state.... Dallas? Not much in the way of scenic beauty.....

I'm retiring in east Texas - somewhere around Winnsboro. East Texas Med Center is close, beautiful scenery, rolling hills, quiet living. If you're looking to go to the Mort (Meyerson) or the Opera, it won't suffice. But the real estate was inexpensive and a lot of retirees are already there

ElKabong
11-10-2012, 03:16 AM

Well...it IS a bit different up there. That's for sure....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296466,00.html

To some Oklahoma football fans, there are things that just aren't done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.
That's exactly what touched off a bloody skirmish that left a Texas-shirt-wearing fan nearly castrated and an Oklahoma fan facing aggravated assault charges that could put him in prison for up to five years.

The shocking case has set off a raging debate in this football-crazed region about the extreme passions behind a bitter rivalry. Some legal observers have even questioned whether this case could ever truly have an impartial jury.

"I've actually heard callers on talk radio say that this guy deserved what he got for wearing a Texas T-shirt into a bar in the middle of Sooner country," said Irven Box, an attorney in this city 20 miles from Oklahoma's campus in Norman.
-

BlueShoe
11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I stand corrected, the Legislature has the super majority - they can now tax at will. Stand by
The Democrats now have a supermajority in both the state senate and assembly, plus Democrats hold all state wide elective offices. That means that Republicans cannot block spending or tax increase measures that are put to the vote that the governor is certain to sign. As the bite out of it's citizens wallets increases even more, look for the exodus of it's more productive residents to continue as they seek more friendly economic climates in other states.

anotherCAfan
11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
and I might add most people here that complain about "Texas" they usually haven't traveled much here. We have beaches, mountains (elevation higher than any state east of the Mississippi), pine forests, the Hill Country, the Big Thicket, the Palo Duro Canyon, etc etc....Lot to see here, it's a big damn state.... Dallas? Not much in the way of scenic beauty.....

I'm retiring in east Texas - somewhere around Winnsboro. East Texas Med Center is close, beautiful scenery, rolling hills, quiet living. If you're looking to go to the Mort (Meyerson) or the Opera, it won't suffice. But the real estate was inexpensive and a lot of retirees are already there
I've had the pleasure of taking the train from El Paso to San Antone to Austin to Dallas. I've seen the mountains, the desert, the farmland, and some hill country.

I know East Texas has some almost forest-like areas.