PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Windows XP

ljb
01-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Hello,
I am trying to access a web site and keep getting an error message. Need http:// and search for 403.4
This tells me i need ssl.
When i go to tools and security it says i have two levels of ssl.
Can this be fixed on my puter or do i have to download from mickey soft to fix error? This is my new laptop which i am still learning about.
Thanks for your help

Amazin
01-27-2004, 12:46 PM
LJB:

Maybe this will help:

Issue: A Microsoft IIS web server is returning the following error when attempting to use a Netstructure appliance to handle SSL:

HTTP Error 403
403.4 Forbidden: SSL required
This error indicates that the page you are trying to access is secured with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). In order to view it, you need to enable SSL by typing "https://" at the beginning of the address you are attempting to reach.
Please contact the Web server's administrator if the problem persists.

Cause: The IIS web server had been configured to only allow SSL connections. Now that the Netstructure appliance is handling the SSL connection, only clear text HTTP connections will be reaching the web server.

Solution: Disable the forcing of SSL connections. Do this by performing the following steps:

1. Launch Internet Services Manager on the IIS web server.
2. Expand the web server to display the web sites.
3. Right click on the web site you will be modifying and select Properties.
4. Select the Directory Security tab.
5. Click on the Edit button of the Secure Communications part section.
6. Uncheck Require secure channel (SSL) checkbox.
7. Click on the OK button twice.

ljb
01-27-2004, 01:07 PM
That is the correct error message and i hate to admit to my computer ignorance but, i don't know how to do the first step. And i am out here with no printer so will probably have `to keep coming back for more instructions.

headhawg
01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
ljb,

Amazin's advice is good if you are the web server but you are the client and you cannot (and should not) implement what was suggested.

Can you access other secure web sites or is it only this particular one? You can check by going to a legitmate e-commerce site, and click the checkout/shopping cart icon. It should establish a secure (SSL) connection (look for the lock in the bottom right of IE).

HH

headhawg
01-27-2004, 01:53 PM
ljb,

BTW, do you have XP service pack 1 installed?

HH

ljb
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Hello
I probably don't have service pack 1 installed. I do go to scottrade which uses a socket connection. I believe this is a secure connection. And i am sure i am the client not the server.
If i go to a shopping page and click on checkout and get a secure connection should i be able to get to the site i am having problems with ? Whew run on sentence hey!

headhawg
01-27-2004, 02:42 PM
ljb,

That's what I wanted you to test. If you can get to other secure sites the problem you're encountering is probably on the web server's end, not yours. XP has some known issues with SSL that are (allegedly) taken care of in SP1, so it's a good idea to install it.

If you can't get to other secure sites, it's probably a misconfigured security setting or a .dll file problem. Here is a link that you should look at if you cannot get to any secure sites:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444&Product=winxp

Hope this helps.

HH

ljb
01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
hh,
Thank you. I can get on other secure websites. I'm out here in the middle of the desert with a slowass dial up connection so, i am going to avoid downloading any files if possible. I had tried downloading some updates and was downloading for days.
But thanks again,
ljb

headhawg
01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
ljb,

I you really need to get to the website that you currently can't access, you might want to report a problem to the webmaster of the site as Amazin has previously posted.

That is of course assuming that you can get to the default page of the website, which is typically not SSL enabled.

Good luck.

HH