PDA

View Full Version : Derby hopefuls

abe
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
OK, BC is over, let's hear some talk of the horses we'll see next May in Louisville.

abe
11-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Those with winning points so far - Steeler, Power Broker, Joha, Shanghai Bobby, and River Seven

Tom
11-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably nothing we saw this weekend even makes it to the Derby.

Striker
11-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I thought Positively ran a huge race in the Futurity at Kee, his first 2 turn race. Z Big Apple could be one to watch again for Zayat. He goes later this month at BHP in the Hollywood Prevue.

HoofedInTheChest
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
A colt i have been keeping my eye on is Uncaptured, a two-year-old Lion Heart-Captivating colt, bred in Ontario by William D. Graham and trained by Mark Casse. In 6 starts he has 5 wins including scores in the Clarendon, Vandal, Swynford and recently a Grade 3 win in the Iroquois Stakes at Churchill. If it wasn’t for the fact he was checked in the straight in the Grey Stakes, we probably would have seen him in the Breeders Cup Juvenile last weekend. I expect to see him pointed toward the Derby next year if not the Queens Plate.

ten2oneormore
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Let Archwarrior grow up a little and we'll see how he fares around 2 turns.

Robert Fischer
11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Those with winning points so far - Steeler, Power Broker, Joha, Shanghai Bobby, and River Seven

If for some reason you loved Power Broker before the Juvenile, give him another shot. Horse had a nightmare trip and never got a chance to run.

I don't know that he was a Derby horse anyway, but haven't looked back.

ten2oneormore
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Z Big Apple could be one to watch again for Zayat. He goes later this month at BHP in the Hollywood Prevue.

Not that it means much for next spring but Denzel is outworking Z Big Apple for Baffert and Denzel is nothing special.It was on dirt though so Z may be a poly horse?

Sysonby
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
A colt i have been keeping my eye on is Uncaptured, a two-year-old Lion Heart-Captivating colt, bred in Ontario by William D. Graham and trained by Mark Casse. In 6 starts he has 5 wins including scores in the Clarendon, Vandal, Swynford and recently a Grade 3 win in the Iroquois Stakes at Churchill. If it wasn’t for the fact he was checked in the straight in the Grey Stakes, we probably would have seen him in the Breeders Cup Juvenile last weekend. I expect to see him pointed toward the Derby next year if not the Queens Plate.

I've been watching this horse too, like the fact that he won easily in his first start on dirt, even nicer that it was at Churchill.

Striker
11-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Not that it means much for next spring but Denzel is outworking Z Big Apple for Baffert and Denzel is nothing special.It was on dirt though so Z may be a poly horse?
I'm not saying Z Big Apple will amount to a derby starter but he had a very nice first race. Are you saying this based on 1 work? The work on 11/4? Cause that is the only work that I have found where they worked together. Z Big Apple won on dirt so not sure where the poly thing for ZBA came from. It was also the 1st work since the MSW win for ZBA, and first in 2 weeks. The horse that ZBA beat last out I think will be a nice horse also, Russdiculous for O' Neill. It appears that this is a perfect day for this discussion as Denzel goes against this horse today at BHP. So maybe this will help put things in perspective. Denzel did improve in his last race that was declared a no contest though.

Striker
11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
No excuse for Russdiculous in the race imo. Will have to wait and see how ZBA does later this month. It will be interesting to see what the winner, War Academy, will do going longer given his pedigree.

onefast99
11-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Bern Identity? Next up is the Delta Jackpot. Won the Lafitte easily.

magwell
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
From June to November 1st these 2 year old colts are like high school boys playing football, then they start going two turns like playing in college, by next april we will see who can make it in the Triple Crown (pros) if they stay sound enough , this makes it tough to call right now.......but fun to watch :)

Sysonby
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
yeah, it's fun to predict too -- the year Afleet Alex was two, I had him picked as my Derby horse way before this in his two-year-old year.

HoofedInTheChest
11-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Uncaptured is entered Saturday Nov 24/12 at Churchill Downs.

Kentucky Jockey Club S. - Grade: 2
Purse: $ 150,000. For Two Year Olds. One And One Sixteenth Miles.

Should be a good test, is the 9/5 morning line favorite.

Sysonby
11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Uncaptured got really tested this time, nice to see him so game in the stretch. He really earned that win.

HoofedInTheChest
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
He's a beast, getting mugged all down the stretch and he still persevere's. Cohen deserve's a shot in the head!

That made my day! :cool:

Sysonby
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
yeah, that was pretty questionable as far as race riding went on Cohen's part, you could tell Mena was steamed.

Having said that, I couldn't believe a 2-year-old would get headed, fight back on the inside and prevail like that, very nice to see. He's always won so easy, I was worried about what would happen if he ever got challenged. What happens is he digs deeper.