PDA

View Full Version : Orlando

Jay Trotter
11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Okay, an actual "non-political" thread seeking non-partisan input.

My wife and I are heading to Orlando, Florida for an ASI (promotions industry) trade show in early January. We'll be staying at The Peabody Orlando (http://www.peabodyorlando.com/) starting on the 4th and checking out on the 8th. This hotel is very close to the convention center and from what I understand a top notch place. The trade show goes from the 5th to the 7th.

We've never been to Florida, so we're taking advantage of the trip and staying until the 13th, in part to celebrate her big "5-0"! Preliminary plans lean towards checking out Clearwater/Tampa, Disney World and the Daytona Beach area. Originally, we thought we might head down to the Keys but its a good distance away so we're leaning towards just enjoying the Orlando and surrounding areas.

Anyway, we could really use some advise on things to do and places to stay after we leave the Peobody. I'll probably check out Tampa Bay Downs one day. We definately want to see some of the main Orlando attractions (we've never been to a Disney type park). My wife loves the beach, so it might be nice to stay somewhere on the ocean for a day or two.

We might even consider a 3-night cruise if a deal pops up.

I look forward to some excellent advise from my PA pals.

Trotter:ThmbUp:

wisconsin
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Universal is much better, IMHO, for people in our age group.......

And yes, Tampa Bay Downs (been there twice).

gregrph
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a nice trip for you both! There is a lot to do in the Central Florida area. The obvious one is a visit to Walt Disney World. My bias may show, but I am a big Disney Parks fan. There's nothing like walking down Main Street in the Magic Kingdom early in the morning! The site, the sound, the SMELL, the anticipation of a great day are all there! At the time that you will be there, the Christmas decorations will still be up at the parks and resorts. Plan at least one full day at one of the parks, Magic Kingdom if you've never been. Don't expect to see or do everything! Do some pre-planning (i can give you additional sources if you would like). Even for 1 day, especially for a first visit, it is a MUST. Get a feel for what to expect. Same goes for Universal Studios. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a must at USO-Islands of Adventure. In either case, get there BEFORE park opening and purchase tickets ahead of time.

On the east coast, about an hour to an hour and a half away is Daytona Beach, the speedway. South of Daytona is the Kennedy Space Center which is a VERY cool visit! You can take a tour (additional cost) of the launch facilities, tour the launch control room where the Apollo missions were launched, visit the launch pads, view the VAB, etc. There are a couple of different tours plus a couple of IMAX movies, a rocket garden, museum, gift shop, etc. To see everything takes multiple days but in 1 day you can see the majority of the site.

Over on the west coast you have Tampa/'St. Petersburg. Obviously in Tampa is Tampa Bay Downs and Busch Gardens. In St. Petersburg you have beautiful beaches. Nicer than the east coast. I think that time of year the water temp will be too cold for swimming but still nice enough to walk the beach or lay out for a while. Maybe do some fishing or a dinner cruise.

The Florida Keys although beautiful are at least a 4-6 hour drive south of Orlando, depending on how far down you want to go. Ft. Lauderdale is 3 hrs (that's where I live) and about 1.5-2 hrs to the upper keys and 3 hours to Key West. I don't think that would be realistic.

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with the other attractions/places to visit in Central Florida. Weeki Watchee Springs, Bok Tower Garden, Fanasy of Flight and numerous golf courses abound!

Now back to Disney:) Visit a park, get there BEFORE official opening, have a plan but not so rigid that it can't be changed, expect a LOT of people and long lines for rides. Use fast pass, ENJOY everything that Disney has done to enhance your experience. Their attention to detail is amazing! Look at the landscaping, the colors, the theming of the different parts of the parks and buildings, the whole FEELING the try to create. Notice how the smells change from land to land and the music changes from land to land and even throughout the day. At some point you might want to start planning a week long vacation staying on Disney property!

I hope this helps a little bit!
Greg

ldiatone
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
"BEE Line Diner" (if still at the hotel) is great! :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
11-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Jay, we just wrapped up a nice trip to Florida. I have relatives on both coasts and Key West was on the "bucket list". Also, I don't fly so all our vacations are driving vacations. After visiting friends in Marietta, GA, we stayed with my cousin in Clearwater for 3 days. While there, we visited the small Greek community in Tarpon Springs (the sponge capital of the world). Nice shops, excellent Greek restaurants, beautiful scenery and of course sponges. We also hit Clearwater Beach which was also very nice. Hulk Hogan's Surf Shop is on the strip there. After Clearwater, we stopped for lunch with an old friend in Cape Coral. We didn't stay there long but it is another beautiful place from what we saw. Then on to Key West for 3 great days. We stayed at the Best Western Hibiscus which is 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and a great starting point for walking Duvall Street (the main attraction in Key West). Lots of excellent restaurants, bars, entertainment, gift shops, art galleries, fishing, craft vendors, day trips. I wish we had more than 3 days there. After Key West, we visited relatives in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Didn't get around there much because everything we did was family oriented and mostly at private residences although there is much to do there. After 2 days, we drove to Orlando to meet an old college buddy I hadn't seen in over 40 years. A lot of construction and heavy traffic there but if you are hitting Disney, it will still be worth the traffic. We only stayed in Orlando for about 3 hours. After that, we drove to St. Augustine where we saw the "Fountain of Youth". Very interesting park and exhibit. If you're in that area, visit the "A1A Ale Works" for some excellent craft brews and top notch food. The Paella was outstanding for dinner the night we arrived and the swordfish I had for lunch the next day was about as good as it gets.

Have fun and drive safely. Oh, one other thing. Florida has something like EZPass called "Sun Pass". It is NOT compatible with EZPass so have plenty of change for tolls or you could even purchase a temporary visitor pass at many stores (I think). Some highways have annoying and frequent tolls for "small change" so bring lots of quarters, dimes and nickels if you can.

Our highlights of Florida were Key West, St. Augustine and Clearwater.

Tom
11-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Coco Beech used to be really nice, but I haven't been there since about 1990.
There were a lot of nice bars/grill along the inland waterway.

An air boat ride through the glades is nice, but remember, gators can jump! :eek:
Don't piss them off.

Ocala Mike
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, nothing like the "attractions" of where you're going, but this is a horse racing board, so you might want to take a 2-hour drive up to Marion County to check out some breeding farms in the area, all of which are usually open for visitors during normal hours.

lamboguy
11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, nothing like the "attractions" of where you're going, but this is a horse racing board, so you might want to take a 2-hour drive up to Marion County to check out some breeding farms in the area, all of which are usually open for visitors during normal hours.i will be in Ocala at the training center, i will show him around if he gets up early enough!

Jay Trotter
11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Appreciate the info and a few PMs as well. Keep it coming.

ps to Tom - you know I don't piss anybody or anything off. I'll be fine with those gators :faint:

Ocala Mike
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
So, lamboguy, tell me this. How come there have been so few "stallion shows" and practically no free season raffles down here the last few years? I used to go to 8-10 of those a season, and think I went to exactly one last year. Is it the economy?

One year, maybe 5-6 years ago, I got real lucky and won two free seasons, one to ONE NICE CAT, and another to ELTISH. I sold both seasons to some horse buds of mine, and made some nice money on the deals.

GameTheory
11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Adults will enjoy Epcot, if not the Dumbo ride...

Jay Trotter
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Adults will enjoy Epcot, if not the Dumbo ride...I didn't know Obama had his own ride! I'll be lining up for that one! :lol:

Jay Trotter
12-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, I've almost got the entire trip planned out.....

January 4th - 7th ASI Conference 4 night at The Peabody

January 8th & 9th - Hotel near Universal Studios
1 Day at Unverisal Studios
1 Day at Univeral's Island of Adventures
*Any suggestions on best way to get discounted tickets?
*Is it worth it to get the Express Passes?

January 10th - travel to Tampa Bay
*Travel Agent suggests a car service to get us from Orlando to Tampa ($200+) Any other ideas?

January 10th - 14th
4 Night cruise on Royal Caribbean Jewels of the Seas
*1st time cruisers -- any suggestions for best way to enjoy time aboard.
*Do I have to hustle in the morning to save a couple chairs?

Thanks in advance for any advice:ThmbUp:

sandpit
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, I've almost got the entire trip planned out.....

January 4th - 7th ASI Conference 4 night at The Peabody

January 8th & 9th - Hotel near Universal Studios
1 Day at Unverisal Studios
1 Day at Univeral's Island of Adventures
*Any suggestions on best way to get discounted tickets?
*Is it worth it to get the Express Passes?

January 10th - travel to Tampa Bay
*Travel Agent suggests a car service to get us from Orlando to Tampa ($200+) Any other ideas?

January 10th - 14th
4 Night cruise on Royal Caribbean Jewels of the Seas
*1st time cruisers -- any suggestions for best way to enjoy time aboard.
*Do I have to hustle in the morning to save a couple chairs?

Thanks in advance for any advice:ThmbUp:

You may never want to leave the Peabody. The wife and I stayed there last summer, and the place is amazing...there are 3 outdoor pools with waterfalls, waitress service, just fantastic. The spa and workout facilities are great too. There's a bar right where the ducks walk in and out. Just a top notch operation. Only drawback I heard was that they charge a good-sized premium for wireless access from your room, but I didn't have a computer, so that didn't affect me. The trolley picks you up right outside the hotel and takes you all along the strip full of shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

Bettowin
12-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I stayed at the Peabody this fall and the hotel topped all expectations. TV built into the bathroom mirror was interesting. Wireless service is about $14 a day and the restaurants are expensive but worth it if you want a nice experience and great food. There are quite a few restaurants within easy walking distance if you want to pay "normal" prices for meals:)

Without kids I wouldn't do Disney but Epcot would be worth the time. For sure hit Tampa Downs and training centers or farms if possible.

TJDave
12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Is this the same hotel as in Memphis?

Did they recreate the Rendezvous BBQ across the street, as well?

Overlay
12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The only time I went there, the rate for the lodging portion of the trip was contingent upon sitting through a high-pressure spiel to purchase a block of days every year in one of several local time-share arrangements. Don't get roped into that.

Jay Trotter
12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Overlay, I don't see that in my future!

We are considering two nights before the cruise on one of the beach resorts around Tampa Bay. Anyone have any thoughts on which beach area is best to stay and any specific resorts?

sammy the sage
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
in Tampa area...do you want cottage/small style or 5 star type...and what are you going to do...lay around or Busch gardens or other...Aquarium...ect?

Valuist
12-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Okay, an actual "non-political" thread seeking non-partisan input.

My wife and I are heading to Orlando, Florida for an ASI (promotions industry) trade show in early January. We'll be staying at The Peabody Orlando (http://www.peabodyorlando.com/) starting on the 4th and checking out on the 8th. This hotel is very close to the convention center and from what I understand a top notch place. The trade show goes from the 5th to the 7th.

We've never been to Florida, so we're taking advantage of the trip and staying until the 13th, in part to celebrate her big "5-0"! Preliminary plans lean towards checking out Clearwater/Tampa, Disney World and the Daytona Beach area. Originally, we thought we might head down to the Keys but its a good distance away so we're leaning towards just enjoying the Orlando and surrounding areas.

Anyway, we could really use some advise on things to do and places to stay after we leave the Peobody. I'll probably check out Tampa Bay Downs one day. We definately want to see some of the main Orlando attractions (we've never been to a Disney type park). My wife loves the beach, so it might be nice to stay somewhere on the ocean for a day or two.

We might even consider a 3-night cruise if a deal pops up.

Congrats to your wife on the big 5-0. I turn 50 on the same day.

ldiatone
12-17-2012, 08:30 PM
jay, buy the book "unofficial guide to walt disney world" by bob schlinger. it is a great book about disney-universal and other attractions in the orlando area.
it is not candy coated like the "offical" books. we were there years back and this book explains different nuiances about the rides, places to eat, etc. its updated each year w/ people explaining there trips.

Jay Trotter
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
in Tampa area...do you want cottage/small style or 5 star type...and what are you going to do...lay around or Busch gardens or other...Aquarium...ect?After 3 full conference days and then a cruise we're looking to just chill in between the two. The attraction route might just be too much, so we're looking at just relaxing along the beach front somewhere. :ThmbUp:

Rookies
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Jay, I've been all over Florida from at least Orlando down and on both coasts. Between wife, family and friends, almost 2 dozen times!

Let me hit on 3 different areas (Coles Notes version).:D

1) First, I'm right there with Mike @ A+. Key West was on my bucket list and I planned a week long trip with the wife here: http://www.edenhouse.com/ It is uber cool and the owner was nice enough to drive us to a restaurant in his Austin Mini one night! Who does that? It is highly rated on Trip Advisor year over year. Loved Key West with its odd combo of Old South housing, Pre Civil War Fort, great beaches, quirky restaurants with dirt floors and chickens clucking about and the Old Man (Hemingway).

We flew into Miami and drove down, staying in Key Largo on the way down and back.:ThmbUp:

2) My wife & son go to Disney every second year and stay on the grounds to maximize their stay. You need to see the Parade and the Magic Kingdom at night and on the night of the light show! Beyond great!:ThmbUp:

3) I've been in the Tampa/St. Pete's area, but if you can change up, I'd travel from Orlando down the coast to Ft. Myers (4 hours). It's all great from Sarasota through Siesta Key- Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel. You can't screw it up. Tons of stuff to do, great eating establishments, bars and fabulous beaches.

Have a great time!

sammy the sage
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
If just chilling...either...Anna Maria Island...or Sanibel...

Anna Maria is just south of St. Pete/Tampa...45 min./90 min. depending on traffic...Sanibel 2/3 hrs...further south...

Go to Trip advisor or just google ratings...for eating and staying

There is a great beachside gulfside eating place on Anna Maria or Bradenton....forget the name...been awhile...last trip w/a an ex. gf. so tried to forget...but the food and view and outside atmosphere was good...

ya'll have a blast ;)

Zydeco
12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
If you go to Tampa/St. Pete go to Pass-A- Grille.Just south of St.Pete Beach. Restaurant named the Hurricaine. They have a roof top bar to watch the sunset and a great grouper sandwich. Nice dining room on the second floor.

Jay Trotter
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
If you go to Tampa/St. Pete go to Pass-A- Grille.Just south of St.Pete Beach. Restaurant named the Hurricaine. They have a roof top bar to watch the sunset and a great grouper sandwich. Nice dining room on the second floor.I've been eyeing the Sirata Beach Resort on St. Pete Beach. Looks like a good hotel with decent pricing. If we end up there I'll definately check out the Hurricane.

Anybody know anything about the Sirata or others in the area?

Thanks