PDA

View Full Version : BC & BlackmGig

grahors
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Greetings,
I am considering Blackmagic. Just wondering how the users fared at BC this year.
Grahors

cato
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
BLAM did pretty well this year. Also 2 years ago at CD. I was in tournaments both of those years so I have a good recollection of those results. I am hazy on 2011 but will look when I have time. The main problem with BCs is you have to shut out the noise and everyone else's analysis and rely on your handicapping (or your handicapping as supplemented by a program). Also with BLAM - and especially on races of the highest quality - I take a close look at the lines it takes and make sure they are not aberrations. It has something built in for that but it is still too loose for my tastes on the bigger races. Also about 1/3 of the races are complicated by having a bunch of euros in them (not to mention Peruvians and Argentines) which have no ratings- so you either pass or go to a second source to assist in the evaluation.

If you get BLAM, it has a free evaluation period where at the end of that time you can return it for a complete refund (at least that's my understanding - you need to confirm that yourself) (Note just went to website - 60 day evaluation period). So take advantage of that and make sure you make a thorough evaluation during that period. It's like most programs - some people love it and some think its not so hot. The good news with BLAM is that you can get your money back if you don't like it (and you figure that out in 60 days)

In any event - here's what I had --

Friday

Race 2 had # 7 and #10 1-2 (that's how they finished)

Race 3 had #5 at the top, gapped down to the rest of the field. It won and paid $17.60

Race 4 - before the scratches it had #1 as the 2d rated horse which I bet and collected on at $32. After scratches it dropped in the ratings

Race 5 was the marathon - no useful ratings

Race 6 - missed, as it does not rate the euro imports

Race 7 - had #7 beholder at the top, It won and paid $9.80

Race 8 - had #2 Zagora at the top and gapped above the field. It won and paid $20.40. I missed the bet because I was enamored with the !@#$% Euros
(5 of the 11 horse had no ratings because they were euros so tough to handicap)

Race 8 - missed - had #4 at the top (Questing)...may still be walking around the track

Saturday --

Race 1 (not a real BC race in my mind)

Race 2 - had the race 10-5-12. Finsihed 5-10-12

Race 3 - not a BC race, but did have the winner on top (#3) @$8.80

Race 4 - a swing and a miss with half the field being euros with no ratings

Race 5 - had the race 9-3, finished 9-3 - admittedly a big favorite and a pass (for me)

Race 6 - really liked Emcee and Shackleford and missed Tapizar unless you felt the race would go early and then Tapizar pops up to the top 4.

Race 7 - On my preliminary review of the race I really liked Mizdirection but the program did not and it seemed like the wize guy horse was #10 (Corporate) which the program really liked - that almost never happens so I forgot about Mizdirection and I'mstill pissed off about it

Race 8 had #4 Shanghai out standing in the field. So likely a clue to pass the race

Race 9 had #12 rated first and that !@#$%^& #7 Little Mike rated second with a couple of extra angle clues to bet the !@#$%^* #7 Little Mike. Of course I was smart enough to look at the form and see !@#$%!* LM had just run 1 1/2 miles and managed to finish 28 lengths behind so, hey I am too smart to bet @#$%^*! Little Mike. I did not buy into the dead rail theory -- maybe 20 lengths and I coulda gone with it. Anyway the aforementioned horse which I shall not name won at $36.60. Apparently EVERYONE who uses BLAM had this!@#$%^! horse (except me)

Race 10 The race looks like a lot of pressure is there and if you sort it that way Trinnieberg is nowhere to be found. However, if you think the track speed biased and sort it that way Tinniebergcomes rated #2. He pays $29. The program really liked the Lumber Guy as did I (and he placed)

Race 11. Had Wise Dan at the top, gapped above the field. Had #3 rated second. WD won and #3 showed

Race 12. Da Classic. It might be hard to believe I was not way ahead for the day based on the above results but I was not (certainly an indictment of my handicapping and/or a recognition of the blood alcohol level in my system - I happened to be at Santa Anita so all was good). In any event, BLAM had the race 12-11-4 out of the box. But as noted above I sometimes delete racing lines BLAM uses if they seem out of whack and so I deleted the PRX line for #12. That brought #4 Fort Larned to the top followed by #11 Mucho Macho. I was all over Fort Larned - and the 4-11 exacta so the day turned out really well for me (which is not normally the case for me on BC day)

Whew, there you have it.

Best, Cato