PDA

View Full Version : It's over..

thespaah
11-03-2012, 10:37 PM
So now that we enter what I call "horse racing's nuclear winter"..I have a question for the serious players on here.
Well questions....
Do you find yourself playing fewer races but for the same amount of $$?
Do any of you specialize in cold weather racing where you realize a higher profit margin?
Are there any of you who drool over this time of year where you really "hit it"?
And finally are there those of you who take some time off from betting during the dead of winter?

The Hawk
11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
The best part of the racing season is coming up: Fair Grounds, Oaklawn, Gulfstream, and Tampa are some of my favorite tracks to play.

Tom
11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
I used to look forward to Tampa, but after last year, I have no interest in it.

Probably start playing Penn, CT, when they run.
I have no interest in most of the day tracks in the winter.

I will be playing harness at the Big M regularly.

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I used to look forward to Tampa, but after last year, I have no interest in it.

Probably start playing Penn, CT, when they run.
I have no interest in most of the day tracks in the winter.

WTF??? How are we going to decide what races each Basterd has to do if we can't auto-assign Tampa to you? :D

Winter-time! Basterd-time!

Tom
11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Oh, yeah.
I guess I better shape up and starting eating oranges.

Basterds Rule.

Or was it drool?

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2012, 11:51 PM
The best part of the racing season is coming up: Fair Grounds, Oaklawn, Gulfstream, and Tampa are some of my favorite tracks to play.

Hell yeah:ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
11-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I take a major winter break.
I will play some races on Clark Hcp weekend at CD and the Cigar (or NYRA)Mile card at Aqu, but that's about it until the Derby trail heats up.

I did manage to salvage my BrCup by making a nice lil score in the Classic, but it was only the 2nd race of the entire two days that i cashed on.

Hasn't been a good year - i will show a loss after having a winning 2011.
Never had two winning years in a row since i began keeping records in 2004.

precocity
11-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Hell yeah:ThmbUp:
very much so hell yeah!!!!! :cool:

ArlJim78
11-04-2012, 08:39 AM
it's not over. was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I never shut down operations. December can be slim pickings, especially when bad weather hits. but as soon as January hits, the excitement begins to slowly build once again in the south and west.

gm10
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
it's not over. was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I never shut down operations. December can be slim pickings, especially when bad weather hits. but as soon as January hits, the excitement begins to slowly build once again in the south and west.

I'm not a historian, but wasn't it the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour?

PhantomOnTour
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
:lol:
No - it was an inside job :D

ArlJim78
11-04-2012, 09:00 AM

come on, famous line from a movie.

V8lT1o0sDwI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V8lT1o0sDwI

classhandicapper
11-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I like typically like playing the Inner Dirt at AQU because it's usually a good period for trainer plays and you get the occasional bias that people miss, but I am way more geared up for basketball season.

Bennie
11-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I never take a "break" from racing, but with the weather about to change at the major circuits I play and turf racing about to all but disappear, I will still play Aqueduct's full schedule, Churchill till they change over in 3 weeks and dabble at Hawthorne, Calder, and Laurel when I see something of interest. Woodbine is hit and miss for me, I can take it or leave it depending on the card and at Hollywood I only look at the Turf races and any Stakes race that may come up.
Mostly, this is the time of year to look back at my mistakes, correct those that I can and try to improve not only my handicapping skills but also my wagering skills. Too many times I have had double digit winners but made no $$$ because I didn't construct my bets the right way.:bang:

Johnny V
11-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I look forward to this season. I have usually bet more and put more effort in during the AQU, AQU inner and GP meets than at any other time.

therussmeister
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
This is my best time of the year for all the reasons already mentioned, plus since I live don't particularly like winter, I play more days.

CincyHorseplayer
11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Like said earlier by someone else it's great to switch the game to the south.Personally I love the plethora of turf races,my emerging specialty.I play nearly every one of them at the big 4 on Saturdays.Starting to shift some interest out west too.Playing Oklahoma,New Mexico,Arizona.I used to not play out there because of the time zones,but I like the races.In preparation for the BC I watched Santa Anita's prep day on 9/29,thinking that my estimation of form held well=not many perplexing results.After a solid BC 2 days nothing has changed that opinion,so I might shift out to those cards after Christmas as well.I keep telling myself that I have a pile of good books built up that need some attention but it just seems like things are heating up and getting good with racing!I'm rolling with this win streak til a break beckons.

RXB
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I take April and September off from racing every year. My favourite time for racing is from Memorial Day weekend until the end of August because that's the peak season for grass courses, but I like fall/winter racing just fine.

gm10
11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
come on, famous line from a movie.

V8lT1o0sDwI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V8lT1o0sDwI

:D
Sorry, wasn't aware of that!

thespaah
11-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh c'mon now...One the most famous movie scenes in comedy.
See video in succeeding post.

raybo
11-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm chomping at the bit this winter, with DeD and OP. RS killed both tracks last year and I expect to do even better this year. I become a little more picky regarding weather in the winter, and refuse to play "off" tracks. There are big payouts at these 2 tracks and RS is great at getting those. Lower play rate, decent hit rate and high average payouts = big profits!