PDA

View Full Version : A needed change

breakage
01-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Why aren't the weights of horses made public knowledge? I think it would be a useful handicapping factor to know if a horse has gained or lost a substantial amount of weight since his last race. Many times I've heard trainers say the horse is overweight or that the horse needs to put on some weight. It seems that getting that information to the public is at least as important as say hearing about some pretend workout at some private training track.

cj
01-27-2004, 05:26 AM
They used to weigh the horses at Freehold harness, and even included this info in the programs for each running line. Whether or not they still do, I couldn't tell you, but it really didn't help much in judging performance.

alysheba88
01-27-2004, 07:44 AM
I totally agree. People get so concerned about the jockey being one pound over. Think every horse should be weighed the day before the race and included on the program info.

ceejay
01-27-2004, 09:26 AM
They also used to weigh the horses at Remington park. I guess that people are more concerned with 3 pounds on a jockey than 50 on a horse.....

Valuist
01-27-2004, 10:18 AM
I remember when they used to do that at Remington. It was a great idea. I guess its too bothersome to keep the public informed.....

Zaf
01-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by breakage
Why aren't the weights of horses made public knowledge? I think it would be a useful handicapping factor to know if a horse has gained or lost a substantial amount of weight since his last race. Many times I've heard trainers say the horse is overweight or that the horse needs to put on some weight. It seems that getting that information to the public is at least as important as say hearing about some pretend workout at some private training track.

How would you interpret weight change ? Where would it make a difference ? Developing 3 YO's ? Older horses ?
Could you give me some examples.

ZAFONIC

so.cal.fan
01-27-2004, 11:02 AM
I believe they do this in Japan?
I would sure like to see this information.
It would be more important to me than half the information in the past performances.
If you are at the races everyday, and have an excellent memory you often spot this just by your eye.
It is difficult for me, but sometimes I can do it.
I know others who are very good at it, and trust me, it pays off.
Last time I was in the paddock, a horse had been off for a few months, an expert I know, observed this animal had lost at least 100 lbs..........horse ran very poorly.

Maybe I'll move to Japan.

breakage
01-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Zafonic, I believe major weight changes would mean different things for different aged horses. For 2 or 3 year olds a weight gain could signal recent physical development . For an older horse who has perfomed best within a certain weight range, a significant shift outside that range might suggest a less than optimum performance can be expected. It's just something I'd like to be able to make my own judgement about.

Zaf
01-27-2004, 07:49 PM
I see your point breakage, makes sense.

ZAFONIC

karlskorner
01-27-2004, 08:30 PM
With the use of Lasix the horse could loose 40 pounds from the paddock to the gate, some more from the detention barn to the paddock and who knows what he left in his stall this morning. Unless you noted somewhere what the horse looked like the last time in ran and what his appearance is today, your wasting your time.

kenwoodallpromos
01-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Maybe one of you can backfit Hong Kong weights and do a study! wieghts by category: weight, % difference, performance, broken down by age, sex, gelding, height, muscle and fat $, layoffs, % lost from weigh-in at barn to gate by peeing, total bladder capacity! / Seriously, I would like to know some of that!

JustRalph
01-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by karlskorner
With the use of Lasix the horse could loose 40 pounds from the paddock to the gate, some more from the detention barn to the paddock and who knows what he left in his stall this morning. Unless you noted somewhere what the horse looked like the last time in ran and what his appearance is today, your wasting your time.

is this a damn Virus......it seems to be catching..............GEEEEEEZZZZZ