PDA

View Full Version : Obama and the black voter

JustRalph
11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/03/obama-african-americans-paradox

As predicted. He hurts them most. Them= the poor more than "black" but you can't seperate the theme of the article from the race issue.

The cycle continues.

Jay Trotter
11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/03/obama-african-americans-paradox

As predicted. He hurts them most. Them= the poor more than "black" but you can't seperate the theme of the article from the race issue.

The cycle continues.That's just dumb! The fact that African-Americans are doing worse now is simply a reflection of the hurting economy and the reality that the least wealthy are the ones who suffer the most when things are tough.

Symbolically, being the first "black" President can only be a beacon of hope to those who only a few short years ago could never imagine one of their own holding that position.

Obama doesn't hurt them, the economy does and he's got the ship moving in the right direction.

fast4522
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
He has sold blacks down the river. But no one man will ever do anything for the black man, for he has to do it on his own.

LottaKash
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Obama doesn't hurt them, the economy does and he's got the ship moving in the right direction.

Right direction ?....Just may be, if you think the right direction is more like hearing the sound of a "downward" swishing toilet, which is the state of our current economy, imo...

Do you Jay, or anyone else, sincerely believe that we can stand very much more, let alone 4-years of this insane deficit spending ?.....

Some are in need of a desparate wakeup call in that regard, imo....

Tom
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Right direction? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We will be over 220 trillion in the hole if gets re-elected.
That is NOT the right direction.

Beacon don't put meat on the table.
JObs do.

Obama has no decent job to offer and never will with his moronic policies.
All Obama offers and all he has done is reward his cronies and waste money.

Right direction?
Wrong-way Trotter! :lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
11-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Jay? Come on? Unemployment is higher than when he entered office and they no longer count half a million who no longer look for work or are under employed.

The ship is ground to a halt and is docked with no where to go due to excessive taxes, regulation and a dis incentive to hire or lend money.

Compare two stories that illustrate my point. If you are buying the "ship is moving in the right direction" theme then Bush 41 should be your hero.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2012/10/30/ny-times-called-bush-s-27-gdp-letdown-obama-s-lower-gdp-steady-improvem

Btw, the ship is stuck in dry dock in spite of the stimulus.

Tom
11-03-2012, 06:36 PM
mostie, I owe you an apology - some one just bottomed out on you!
At least I don't think you mean half the crap you post.

I think this one really buys it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
We will be over 220 trillion in the hole ...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What's he gonna do now, buy Canada?

Tom
11-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Ooops.

Make that 20 Trillion!

Although, if he gets the house back, 220 will be within their reach.

Jay Trotter
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM

I think this one really buys it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:I stand by my statement. :ThmbUp:

Tom
11-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I know!
You better start shoring up your borders, 'cause if Barry gets back in,
youse guys up there are gonna be having an illegal immigrant problem like you never imagined. :lol::lol::lol:

lamboguy
11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
He has sold blacks down the river. But no one man will ever do anything for the black man, for he has to do it on his own.he certainly could have been a better role model for black people. like emphasizing more education, better nutrition, and teaching the value of a family unit. i think he had the greatest opportunity to make an impact, and he failed.

Marshall Bennett
11-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Obama's also set the stage for hyperinflation which could ultimately deal us a crushing blow we can never recover from.

ElKabong
11-03-2012, 07:49 PM

I think this one really buys it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have to agree with you, Tom. Jay's post is right up there with the apex of Mostie ignorant postings. He must be from another country or something..LOL

UE is at 10% in reality.... Also, a lot of people are coming off UE benefits with part-time jobs. People that were affected by layoffs are now earning half what they did or less, and have no benefits to speak of.

Obama owns that. To say this is the right direction is ignorance of the highest order.

Jay Trotter
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I know!
You better start shoring up your borders, 'cause if Barry gets back in,
youse guys up there are gonna be having an illegal immigrant problem like you never imagined. :lol::lol::lol:Just as an FYI.....the man known as the "Father of Universal Health Care" in Canada was also selected as the "Greatest Canadian"!

I can only hope that you are still above ground when Obama is similarily recognized. :ThmbUp:

Tom
11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
You trying to take over for Colbert? :lol::lol::lol:

Jay Trotter
11-03-2012, 07:59 PM
You trying to take over for Colbert? :lol::lol::lol:
See, I'm just trying to have a conversation. My point of view is different than yours, obviously. That doesn't make me stupid. That shouldn't set me up for ridicule.

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I can only hope that you are still above ground when Obama is similarily recognized. :ThmbUp:

Obama as greatest Canadian???? Even Theo Fleury would be offended!

ElKabong
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Obama to Canada? I'm all for it

If Obama were to move to canada, he'd suddenly be my favorite canuck (and I do have friendly relations with folks there -suppliers)..... :)

Tom
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Well, he does a lot of "a's" in his name, ay? :D

B ay? R ay? CK OB ay? M ay?

kingfin66
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
he certainly could have been a better role model for black people. like emphasizing more education, better nutrition, and teaching the value of a family unit. i think he had the greatest opportunity to make an impact, and he failed.

Being the POTUS is not being a good role model. Speaking directly to your wishes, he has a law degree, is in good shape, and his wife, the one he has been married to for twenty years, is an advocate for better nutrition in schools.

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Being the POTUS is not being a good role model. Speaking directly to your wishes, he has a law degree, is in good shape, and his wife, the one he has been married to for twenty years, is an advocate for better nutrition in schools.

Lambo was speaking directly to moving sugar to the list of schedule I narcotics where he thinks it belongs.

Jay Trotter
11-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I got nothing!

boxcar
11-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I got nothing!

I love it when a lib waxes honest, which is a rarity. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

Tom
11-03-2012, 11:14 PM
See, I'm just trying to have a conversation. My point of view is different than yours, obviously. That doesn't make me stupid. That shouldn't set me up for ridicule.

No, in a perfect world it shouldn't.
But we live in Obama's America. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Capper Al
11-04-2012, 06:17 AM
That's just dumb! The fact that African-Americans are doing worse now is simply a reflection of the hurting economy and the reality that the least wealthy are the ones who suffer the most when things are tough.

Symbolically, being the first "black" President can only be a beacon of hope to those who only a few short years ago could never imagine one of their own holding that position.

It's nice to hear a voice of reason.

Tom
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Abbott and Costello?

Jay Trotter
11-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Abbott and Costello?
Clint and Clyde, actually!:D

http://www.biofilman.is/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Every-Which-Way-But-Loose.jpg

thaskalos
11-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Abbott and Costello?

I would add my own name to this...but then you'd call us the "three stooges". :)

TJDave
11-04-2012, 01:24 PM

The cycle continues.

When a group of people have been collectively treated like dog shit for 400 years and one of their own is running for President they tend to vote with their heart, not head.

Tom
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Even Cly7de knows 15 trillion in the hole is not the right direction.
Must be the exchange rate! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jay Trotter
11-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Even Cly7de knows 15 trillion in the hole is not the right direction.
Must be the exchange rate! :lol::lol::lol::lol:Tom, isn't it a major faux pas to use the same line in two threads?

1 Canadian dollar = 1.0043 US dollars :ThmbUp:

HUSKER55
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
That means we can pay off the debt in canadian dollars for less money?

maddog42
11-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Jay don't let the ridicule bother you. It really proves that YOU are not the one that is stupid. When you attack the man and not his argument, it means you are desperate and lack real ideas.

elysiantraveller
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Just as an FYI.....the man known as the "Father of Universal Health Care" in Canada was also selected as the "Greatest Canadian"!

... you must not be familiar with the ACA...

There is nothing "universal" about it. Any comparisons to what Obama did (A bad GOP policy from the mid-90s) and the Canadian system are so far off comparing them is meaningless...

Either I'm misunderstanding what you meant by this post or you don't understand what the ACA is.

In anycase by what metric have we righted the ship in your opinion? GDP growth this year will be slower than inflation... we have fewer people working... and median incomes have plummeted, 10% for the middle class...

What metric are you using that I'm not aware of?

JustRalph
11-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, i am so glad to read the Libs agree with Reagan.

Your responses to the article are all related to the "rising tide" theory

Reaganomics 101

Supply side all the way.

GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY !

Jay Trotter
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
... you must not be familiar with the ACA...So, you're happy with the status quo? You don't believe a nation is only as great as its weakest member?

Is the ACA perfect? Hardly. Does it move the ball in the right direction? Absolutely.

In my opinion (which I know is pretty much worthless here) working towards providing health care for each and every citizen is the right thing to do. I believe in capitalism but survival of the fittest simply doesn't work when it comes to the health of real people.

mostpost
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
In anycase by what metric have we righted the ship in your opinion? GDP growth this year will be slower than inflation... we have fewer people working... and median incomes have plummeted, 10% for the middle class...

GDP growth this year will be slower than inflation
This is not unusual. It has happened twenty five times since 1969; under both Democratic and Republican administrations; in times of prosperity and recession.

But let's compare Obama with Bush. Of course PA will come on with his whiny "Bush isn't president, Obama is president. Blah Blah. Look at it this way. When you're handicapping a race, one of the things you look at is what the horses did in recent races.

In his last three races-I mean quarters-Obama grew the economy at the rate of 1.7666% per quarter.
In his last three quarters Bush shrunk the economy at the rate of -3.7666% per quarter.

If you go back 8 quarters the results are Obama +1.9625% and Bush -1.225%

we have fewer people working..
I don't know about that. What I do know is that the unemployment rate is now 7.9% as compared to 10% at the height of the recession. I do know that we have had 25 consecutive months of positive job growth.

and median incomes have plummeted, 10% for the middle class...
And what has caused this. Put simply, it is the attitude that wages should be determined by the fiat of the employer rather than be a negotiation between equals. It has nothing to do with Obama and everything to do with laissez-faire capitalism.

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2012, 09:08 PM
But let's compare Obama with Bush.Of course you want to compare Obama with Bush. You consider Bush to be one of the worst presidents this country has ever had. Why wouldn't you want to compare Obama with Bush... :lol:

Another desperate attempt to make Obama look good...compare him to one of the worst presidents ever (in your opinion)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda sad when you think about it, no?

johnhannibalsmith
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
... Does it move the ball in the right direction? ...

If your opinion of an ideal situation is Universal Health Care, then all this does is move farther away from it, unless you are part of the group that thinks that this is built to fail and single payer will be the only way to "bail out" what had been implemented.

In a twisted way, even though I hate the bill, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it implemented. I mean, yeah, I will benefit from it now that it guarantees that I won't even try to work anymore to pay for my medical care - but I can't wait to see how this thing can possibly be implemented and not turn into a disaster. I'm prone to being wrong, but I will be amazed if this doesn't set desired liberal health care policy back decades.

mostpost
11-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, i am so glad to read the Libs agree with Reagan.

Your responses to the article are all related to the "rising tide" theory

Reaganomics 101

Supply side all the way.

GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY !

You must be reading a different thread than me, because there is nothing even remotely about Reaganomics in the one I am reading.

elysiantraveller
11-04-2012, 09:23 PM
So, you're happy with the status quo? You don't believe a nation is only as great as its weakest member?

Is the ACA perfect? Hardly. Does it move the ball in the right direction? Absolutely.

In my opinion (which I know is pretty much worthless here) working towards providing health care for each and every citizen is the right thing to do. I believe in capitalism but survival of the fittest simply doesn't work when it comes to the health of real people.

So its the either/or fallacy and some platitudes...

I expected more from you following your prediction Obama will be known as one the "greatest" American's ever...

Now its just "ho hum... something is better than nothing...."

Seriously by what metric has Obama righted the ship? I'm still waiting on that.

elysiantraveller
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
If your opinion of an ideal situation is Universal Health Care, then all this does is move farther away from it,

... details... :rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
This is not unusual. It has happened twenty five times since 1969; under both Democratic and Republican administrations; in times of prosperity and recession.

In a zero interest rate market?... :rolleyes:

But let's compare Obama with Bush. Of course PA will come on with his whiny "Bush isn't president, Obama is president. Blah Blah. Look at it this way. When you're handicapping a race, one of the things you look at is what the horses did in recent races.

Lets not...

I don't know about that. What I do know is that the unemployment rate is now 7.9% as compared to 10% at the height of the recession. I do know that we have had 25 consecutive months of positive job growth.

And here goes your credibility again.... "I don't know about that" says mosty while knowing damn well labor force participation is down to some of its lowest ever recorded levels...

Rookies
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What's he gonna do now, buy Canada?

Couldn't afford us...;)

badcompany
11-05-2012, 12:17 AM
That's just dumb! The fact that African-Americans are doing worse now is simply a reflection of the hurting economy and the reality that the least wealthy are the ones who suffer the most when things are tough.

It's in a down economy when unsound liberal economics policies such as high taxation, over-regulation, wage and price controls take their toll.

To use a horseracing analogy, a horseplayer can get away with bad money management when he's on a hot streak. It's another story when he gets cold.

To be fair, even a Republican Governor, Chris Christie, can fall into this intervention trap. I heard him going on about price gouging, but, what he doesn't understand is that if you put a price cap on things which are in great demand, you make it unprofitable for people who are a great distance away to supply these products: flashlights, Generators etc. That's the exact opposite of what you want in an emergency situation.

In my neck of woods, regulations had to be eased on where livery cabs could pick up passengers. The reason for this easing was to offset the previous regulation which limited the number of Taxi medallions issued. In normal times, this lack of supply of cabs was just inefficient. In an emergency environment of no public transportation, it proved disasterous.

JustRalph
11-05-2012, 12:42 AM
You must be reading a different thread than me, because there is nothing even remotely about Reaganomics in the one I am reading.

JTrotter said it's the economy as a whole that is hurting blacks. The other side of his argument is that when the economy is up, a rising tide raises all boats.

It's plain as day............. I know, this is the ultimate paradox for you. If you were a robot, your head would explode. :lol: