PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Racing Newsletter

trying2win
01-26-2004, 10:54 PM
--I was just reading the superlatives and testimonials about Phillips Racing Newsletter at their website at this link:

http://www.phillipsracingnewsletter.htmlplanet.com

--I confess many years ago, I subscribed to this publication for a year or two. That was back in the days when I was a little more naive and less knowledgeable about thoroughbred handicapping. I used to look forward to receiving this newsletter every month and enjoyed reading the folksy articles by the late Russ Dietrich. It was also interesting to read the reviews of books and systems. I was gullible enough to buy the odd method now and then, based on my interest and influenced by one of PRN's higher ratings. Needless to say, I didn't get rich! After awhile, I didn't think PRN had enough value to continue with my subscription, so I cancelled it.

--I've read here at the PA site, that some other members have subscribed to PRN in the past. Does anyone still receive PRN? If you've subscribed for more than a year for example, in your opinion do you think PRN has improved any over the last year? If you subcribed to PRN in the last year or two, on a scale of 1 to 10, would you care to give us your rating of what you think of PRN?

-- Did anyone order the Phillips Racing Gold Book? If so, are there any harness racing or greyhound methods included too?

--Anyone care to relate any stories from reading PRN a long time ago?

Thanks,

T2W

kitts
01-27-2004, 09:35 PM
I used to enjoy PRN back in the 80s when Russ was still in charge. And I learned more than one valuable lesson from reading it. After Russ, it wasn't the same so I did not renew.

andicap
01-28-2004, 11:28 AM
They started giving lots of stuff 7s and 8s so the grades became less meaningful.

Richard
01-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I subscribed for a year back in the 80's.Did'nt really think enough of it to continue.

hcap
01-29-2004, 04:12 AM
They also began to "glow" about many RPM catalog systems. At that time I was pretty naieve and both myself and my brother bought quite a few.

How many systems rated 6-8 by phillips that should be 2 or 3 do you have to try before reality sets in?

lousycapperII
01-29-2004, 02:30 PM
:D PRN is just another guy/gal who has figured out a way to make money on the horses without going to the track and betting. I say more power to him/her. You have to have the IQ of a potatoe [notice the "e"] to buy any of their recommendations. :D

-LCII

andicap
01-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Actually Lousy,
back in the day, Phillips was very good =-= that was when the dad owned it. Had a good reputation for giving out honest scores. The get rick quick ones
usually got 2s and 3s.

lousycapperII
01-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Actually Lousy,
back in the day, Phillips was very good =-= that was when the dad owned it. Had a good reputation for giving out honest scores. The get rick quick ones
usually got 2s and 3s.

:D So the new owner[s] are going for the gelt instead of honesty...sounds about right in this credit/debt driven climate. Make it and spend it while you can, for tomorrow may never come. Heh, heh! :D

TenZin
01-30-2004, 05:37 PM
What does gelt mean? Is it that old fish thats loaded with PCBs?

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by TenZin
What does gelt mean?

Mr./Ms. TenZin,

:D It's a typo...should be geld. :D

-LCII

andicap
01-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by TenZin
What does gelt mean? Is it that old fish thats loaded with PCBs?

gelt means money.

trying2win
02-04-2004, 11:38 PM
I can't quite remember when it was...maybe late 1980's or early 1990's, but I do rememer reading in an issue of Phillips Racing Newsletter about Joe Conte's famous Two Factor System. I recall that Joe wanted some ridiculous price for it. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was about $239.00. I remember Russ Dietrich raving about the Two Factor system a bit, at the time. Russ mentioned that he was using Joe's system along with some other method back then. Russ said that at times he would lose something like 16 bets in-a-row, but a big longshot would come in to clear all the losses and then some. I got the impression that Russ was happy betting Joe's system, despite some long losing streaks when using it.

Russ mentioned that he influenced Joe Conte to give PRN subscribers a break in the price. I think it was something to the effect of $20.00 off if you mentioned you subscribed to PRN. Wow! What a bargain. If you're wondering...no I didn't send away for Joe's Two Factor System. I noticed Barry Meadow had a review done on Joe's system in an issue of his Meadow's Racing Monthly though.

Russ sure had a way of telling down-to-earth interesting stories.

T2W

Hosshead
02-07-2004, 03:26 AM
PRN really went downhill when the son took over. He decided that instead of giving an honest review of other people's systems, he'd just make up his own systems, give them a high rating, and make more money off the systems than the subscriptions to the Newsletter. The last PRN that I saw, had more space devoted to their own lousy systems, than other people's systems, unless it's someone they have an "arrangement" with, (to give a high rating of course).

trying2win
02-11-2004, 04:29 PM
I noticed someone put a handicapping book entitled PACE MAKES THE RACE up for bids on ebay. It says in the description, that Phillips Racing Newsletter rated the book a 9 1/2. Never read the book, but assume it must be a pretty good one judging by the rating. You can trust PRN'S ratings, right?

One of PACE MAKES THE RACE inimitable co-authors, a well-known PA member, would probably give this book a stellar rating, as well...LOL...I'm guessing that he'd prefer you bought the book at a retail store, in order to help his prosperity though.

T2W

Aussieplayer
02-11-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm guessing that he'd prefer you bought the book at a retail store, in order to help his prosperity though.

.....I doubt it. Sent the book half way across the world to me - for free - paid for the postage too.

Cheers
AP

Tom
02-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Where ya been?
Long time no hear.
How's the racing down under?

Aussieplayer
02-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Lol, how are ya Tom? Good to see so many familiar names about!

Lots of new ones I see as well!

Racing is as challenging as ever! Seriously though - I put myself out to spell (or layoff as you guys say) for a good while. Did me the world of good. Still had/have some fun bets on the occasional Saturday arvo of course - but racing has become the occasional pleasurable pastime rather than pursue the want-to-be-profitable 'capper etc.
I may get back to that, I may not - I don't know at this stage.

But - it's really great to see you guys! :D

trying2win
02-12-2004, 12:17 AM
G'Day Aussie Player,

It was nice to read your post about the benevolent deed done by that esteemed co-author of PACE MAKES THE RACE. Now that we've read about it, he may get a few more requests for a freebie like that. Only problem is, this magnanimous PA member may only have a few copies left of his book. Then, he may want to charge $40.00 for the book, if it sells for something like that on ebay...LOL....

T2W