PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline in Jersey

lamboguy
11-01-2012, 03:34 PM
a friend of mine that lives in Jersey waited in line today for 2 hours to get gasoline. he finally got to the pump and a guy told him the price of gas was $4.39 per gallon and that they suspended taking atm and credit cards. they wanted the money up front from him and he had to pay it.

gasoline in boston today $3.39 per gallon.

FantasticDan
11-01-2012, 03:50 PM
a friend of mine that lives in Jersey waited in line today for 2 hours to get gasoline.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-01/new-jersey-drivers-wait-for-fuel-as-sandy-curbs-gasoline

Uncle Salty
11-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Just waiting to see how this becomes Obama's fault...I'll check back later.

ArlJim78
11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
why wouldn't it all be Obama's fault? just like everything that went wrong following Katrina was Bush's fault. there are still people stranded in their homes, flooded, without gas. Yep, collosal failure by this administration.

bigmack
11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Has the Nevada unemployment rate topped 15% yet?

wisconsin
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
A normal size station might have 15,000 gallons available in the ground. They still pay rent or a bank note on the facility. Supply is scarce. Credit cards cost money to take.

If a tanker shows up, it only holds 8,500 gallons. Most of these stations average 3,000 gallons per day and more. A run on a station can empty the tanks in one day.

A delay in getting fuel out to these places is devistating. It is supply and demand and these stations can charge whatever they feel they can get. Sorry, but a buck or less more for a hard to find gallon of gas is no big deal to me. They have to pay a few guys to be around to pump it, no self-serve in Jersey. Instead of making 15 cents, they are making $1.15 per gallon.

I owned a gas station in Milwaukee for years, so I know what I am talking about.

Uncle Salty
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
why wouldn't it all be Obama's fault? just like everything that went wrong following Katrina was Bush's fault. there are still people stranded in their homes, flooded, without gas. Yep, collosal failure by this administration.

Wow....just........wow.

PA off topic is really a source of amazement sometimes...

bigmack
11-01-2012, 06:21 PM
A normal size station might have 15,000 gallons available in the ground. They still pay rent or a bank note on the facility. Supply is scarce. Credit cards cost money to take.

If a tanker shows up, it only holds 8,500 gallons. Most of these stations average 3,000 gallons per day and more. A run on a station can empty the tanks in one day.
The reason for the lines/wait is because 3/4's of the stations in that area CAN'T pump without electricity. And they have no juice.

wisconsin
11-01-2012, 06:30 PM
The reason for the lines/wait is because 3/4's of the stations in that area CAN'T pump without electricity. And they have no juice.

I get that, too. It's a big problem. People gotta drive....

bigmack
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I get that, too. It's a big problem. People gotta drive....
I work with Shell but with their energy division in Houston. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of profit you made from each gallon when you owned a station.

wisconsin
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I work with Shell but with their energy division in Houston. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of profit you made from each gallon when you owned a station.

Sometimes 20 cents, sometimes 4 cents. If I had a fresh load and the price dropped the next day, I was screwed. If the price skyrockets after I buy a load, cha ching. Factor in a 2% credit card juice and I lost money sometimes on transactions involving plastic.

I never set the price, I always followed my competiton (Amaco and Clark)

Averaged about 2500 gallons per day. Rent was $3500 per month, plus utilities, plus pump repairs. Gas paid the rent, the store made the money on cigs and such. Was selling, in my prime, about 4000 packs per week, making about 25 cents a pop, before the kickbakcs. Had them cheaper than anyone around, and got kickbacks from the wholesaler and the tobacco companies.

You really need a mega pump location with a large store to make it big. Mine was more like a copper mine than a gold mine, but I lost my lease when Unocal sold it's holdings to Citgo, and Citgo does not lease stations.